The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: yahnai on November 30, 2003, 03:34:06 am

Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: yahnai on November 30, 2003, 03:34:06 am
has anyone seen the new berkeley brethed strip?  i understand it's sunday-only.  can anyone send a link, if it's online somewhere?
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: jough on November 30, 2003, 03:56:13 am
The new strip, "Opus" premiered last Sunday in newspapers around the world.

I haven't seen it online, yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time until Google spiders a site where someone's scanned it in.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2003, 11:35:38 pm
Officially it's paper only. The whole thing was the Post's idea to try and sell newspapers since they're inferior in every way to washingtonpost.com
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: jough on December 01, 2003, 12:25:51 am
Well, "Opus" is syndicated.  And it only appears on Sunday.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2003, 12:35:18 am
I should preface my comments about "Opus" by saying I never was a big Berke Breathed fan.  He's OK, but I don't think he compares to the great cartoonists of what I perceive to be his generation -- Trudeau, Larson and Watterson.  

That being said, nothing in the first two installments of "Opus" has moved me to change that evaluation.  It's a welcome addition to the Sunday funnies, but nothing earth-shattering.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2003, 02:51:32 am
Quote from: "jough"
Well, "Opus" is syndicated.  And it only appears on Sunday.

I know but it's the Post who actually is acting as the syndicate and is at least claiming (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A45450-2003Sep8¬Found=true) some responsibility for the return.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: Limmo on December 01, 2003, 05:24:35 pm
BB's skills as an illustrator have grown tremendously.  But content-wise, the two strips mostly gave me an extremely faint feeling of nostalgia for Bloom County.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 01, 2003, 08:31:07 pm
Is it better than Outland? Because all that did was make me ache for Bloom County.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: Limmo on December 01, 2003, 09:03:00 pm
I only read Outland for a few weeks and rapidly lost interest.  Opus seems like more of the same.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: jough on December 01, 2003, 09:21:36 pm
I'll read it every Sunday, but so far it's only "eh".
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 08, 2003, 08:11:45 pm
For heaven's sake, people.  It's a comic strip.  You don't have to analyze it to death!  It's not like your whole--

Oh wait.  Umm.  I mean.  Mr. Brethed's oeuvre is certainly not up to Wattersonian standards, but presents a refreshing break from the Marmaduke and Cathy world of the rest of the Sunday 'funnies'.

Sorry, all.  I forgot where I was for a moment.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 08:26:29 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Sorry, all.  I forgot where I was for a moment.


Damn. That was close. We've already had one... unpleasantness, this week!

Still. Good to see you back Pedro.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 08:28:22 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
For heaven's sake, people.  It's a comic strip.  You don't have to analyze it to death!  It's not like your whole--

Oh wait.  Umm.  I mean.  Mr. Brethed's oeuvre is certainly not up to Wattersonian standards, but presents a refreshing break from the Marmaduke and Cathy world of the rest of the Sunday 'funnies'.

Sorry, all.  I forgot where I was for a moment.

That's it, man! Start armchair-analyzin' like mad!

Personally, though, I haven't seen the Breathed strip yet -- campus here sort of has the whole "we ESCHEW paper news format in order to ASCEND to some sort of greater PAPERLESS INSTRUMENTALITY" thing going on, and honestly, it hasn't sounded good enough for me to actually go to an effort for.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 08, 2003, 08:40:35 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
and honestly, it hasn't sounded good enough for me to actually go to an effort for.


This passed Sunday's strip featured a sexy Dr. Condoleezza Rice making brazen overtures to a flightless bird.  What more do you want?  More italics?
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: St_Zartan on December 08, 2003, 08:48:26 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
More italics?


My man.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 08:50:23 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Sorry, all.  I forgot where I was for a moment.


Damn. That was close. We've already had one... unpleasantness, this week!


Good one slink, pick a fight with Mr. Moderator. Actually, go for it. I'd like to see the title you got stuck with after the fight.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: jay-ell on December 08, 2003, 08:54:09 pm
Pedro can defend himself, I'm sure.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 08:55:45 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
and honestly, it hasn't sounded good enough for me to actually go to an effort for.


This passed Sunday's strip featured a sexy Dr. Condoleezza Rice making brazen overtures to a flightless bird.  What more do you want?  More italics?

Perhaps some bold underlines?

I'm not sure if Condi Rice coming onto Opus is genius or heresy or both.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 08, 2003, 09:13:53 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I'm not sure if Condi Rice coming onto Opus is genius or heresy or both.


It's merely a response to the efforts of the kids in Boondocks (http://www.boondocks.net/main.html) to get the good doctor a boyfriend.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 09, 2003, 01:26:53 am
Forced to ponder: Asherdan turned on by the penguin or Dr Condi?
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 01:47:32 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Forced to ponder: Asherdan turned on by the penguin or Dr Condi?


I'm sure that there is a less humiliating answer of the two, but trying to figure out which makes the brain hurt like razor-tipped calculus.
Title: new berke breathed strip?
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 01:53:03 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Good one slink, pick a fight with Mr. Moderator. Actually, go for it. I'd like to see the title you got stuck with after the fight.


Hey, was merely an objective comment based on the breaking of forum rules that's all!
I'm not the one who was going to be evil at him for not overanalysing.
Maybe I'll go to bed...