The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on September 15, 2009, 12:37:38 am

Title: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 15, 2009, 12:37:38 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_swayze (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_swayze)

Dirty dancing with jesus and the saints now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead
Post by: Toaster on September 15, 2009, 12:57:24 am
Shit. At least we know what took him, and there won't be a 24/7 media circus with conspiracy theorists and pundits. It will be dignified. Just as Patrick was in life.

You will be missed, Patrick. You were a cowboy, and a dancer.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: lprkn on September 15, 2009, 01:07:46 am
He was just a guy who did his thing, and was pretty classy most of the time. A quality that I'll miss, I guess. As much as one dude can miss another dude who was in Dirty Dancing, anyway.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: pmcd9 on September 15, 2009, 01:11:29 am
I liked Patrick Swayze even though his movies all pretty much sucked ass.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 15, 2009, 01:13:21 am
Well I watched that interview he did with baba wawa and it sounded like his life was a living hell. Waking up at like 3 in the morning and rolling around on the bathroom floor in pain just to get his system going for the day. So at least hes at peace now.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: jaydub on September 15, 2009, 01:41:26 am
For some reason, I had hoped he'd be one of the 2% who beat pancreatic cancer.  Maybe because he was a celeb whose marriage seemed OK?  Exception proving the rule probably.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 15, 2009, 02:38:57 am
Can't say I cared for much of the guy's work but he fought a bad turn valiantly and seemed like a good dude as celebrities go.

In the world of Ned Flanders, "Godspeed, little doodle".
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2009, 02:43:26 am
He seemed like a class act, but he was in Red Dawn, so I'm hating that.  Otherwise, hey, RIP actor dude.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 15, 2009, 03:41:49 am
When he hits the Pearly Gates, I bet that St. Peter will say:

"I thought you were taller."

Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 15, 2009, 04:57:35 am
On the plus side, in Heaven he will be reunited with Jennifer Grey's nose.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: Doc on September 15, 2009, 05:13:45 am
My friends and I had a running joke (not that running to be honest because who talks about Patrick Swayze that often?) that his creepy pedophile character from Donnie Darko was his real personality. So now I feel like a douche because I Made Light of a fellow with Problems.
Pancreatic cancer though... ech. Not one of the fun ones.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: side_show on September 18, 2009, 04:17:44 pm
I chatted with Mr. Swayze once, during the time when a bunch of my friends worked on a film with him.  From all accounts of those I knew on set, he was a decent guy who didn't participate in the ego machine of celebrity, and that's saying something.  When I talked to him he came across as an ordinary person, working in an out-of-the-ordinary field of work in which few normal, well balanced people work.  I don't remember what we talked about, but I do recall it was a comfortable conversation without any nuances of the weird power dynamics that can come up when talking to the "star" of a film.  I suppose when you're famous, people are always looking for proof you're an egomaniacle asshole (and let's face it, we're all assholes some of the time) but of all the truly famous people I've met, I'd say he's the only one who didn't set off my Jerkface meter, and it's a pretty sensitive meter.  I remember thinking he seemed like such a normal guy.  It was only afterwards, when I was alone in my car that it hit me: "huh - that was Patrick Swayze.  Dirty Dancing, Donni Darko...  Wow.  Neat."

Here's to Patrick Swayze - may his epitaph read "Actor (Not a Dick)."
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2009, 05:21:34 pm
Patrick Swayze is from Houston and I've met a number of people through the years (maybe 6) who knew him back when he was a kid growing up here.  They all have said he was one of the nicest people ever.  One of those people lived on his street in a sub division and presumably knew him pretty well.  She said he mowed the yard at her family's house.
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: jacques_schitt on November 25, 2009, 11:13:42 pm
Pancreatic cancer though... ech. Not one of the fun ones.

There's a fun one?
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: dejavroom on November 25, 2009, 11:22:30 pm
You know which one. 'tickles cancer. *runs*
Title: Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 01, 2009, 12:11:25 am
crazy for swayze (http://www.bustedtees.com/crazyforswayze)