The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: CortJstr on September 15, 2009, 11:29:41 pm
-
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-sword0915,0,4027961.story
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0909/659383.html
Holy shit, dude! I mean, shit. Dude.
-
Bring out the Gimp.
-
Hell yes. Serial thief gets his just desserts.
-
A little first aid education in pressure point or even tourniquets would have averted this outcome.
Well, that and the dude not breaking into the house in the first place.
-
Hell yes. Serial thief gets his just desserts.
More like incompetent thief didn't check to see if the residence was vacant.
-
What disturbs me the most is the story that calls it a 'decorative' sword. Isn't a 'decorative' sword supposed to be not sharp?
A friend of mine said "I guess next time I hear an intruder I will approach him with a wall hanging and a vanilla scented candle."
-
the whole thing where you hurt/kill people who try to take your stuff is really weird to me.
-
the whole thing where you hurt/kill people who try to take your stuff is really weird to me.
Yeah, and I imagine depending on where you live may not be much of a defense. I didn't read the whole article, but if someone breaks into your house while you're there with the intention to take your stuff, well, how are you to know? And I imagine in that case you'd have a good case, but I'm not sure if the situation was like that here.
-
If someone broke into my house while I was home, I don't think I would rely on the assumption that he was only there to take my stuff.
-
If someone broke into my house while I was home, I don't think I would rely on the assumption that he was only there to take my stuff.
Indeed. If they're willing to rob your house, who knows what other illegal things they're willing to do.
From the article: "He saw the side door to the garage had been pried open and found a man inside, who lunged at the student." So, yeah, rather than let the robber beat my head in, I think I'd swing the sword (or in my case, most likely a softball bat).
-
the whole thing where you hurt/kill people who try to take your stuff is really weird to me.
I say let's make a deal. You keep your hands off my stuff and I won't club you with a baseball bat.
-
What disturbs me the most is the story that calls it a 'decorative' sword. Isn't a 'decorative' sword supposed to be not sharp?
To the best of my knowledge, a decorative sword is dull enough to prevent serious accidents - it's not sharpened as much as it could be, and most decorative swords aren't made of good enough steel to hold a serious edge for long even if you wanted to. However, if its edge isn't at least slightly sharp that's visible, especially on a Japanese-style sword which is expected to have a sort of particular grain on the edge from the pattern welding used to forge traditional swords. In other words, if you drop a decorative sword it probably won't lop your foot off, but if you start going to town on someone with it they will probably not be happy about it.
-
However, if its edge isn't at least slightly sharp that's visible, especially on a Japanese-style sword which is expected to have a sort of particular grain on the edge from the pattern welding used to forge traditional swords.
In other words, this guy's sword was sharp enough to cut off a hand in a panic, because if it didn't have a little bit of an edge, it would look wrong, and his Japanese-sword-geek friends would laugh at it.
This is what it comes to, people: NERDINESS KILLS.
-
In other words, this guy's sword was sharp enough to cut off a hand in a panic, because if it didn't have a little bit of an edge, it would look wrong, and his Japanese-sword-geek friends would laugh at it.
This is what it comes to, people: NERDINESS KILLS.
Look, if you outlaw samurai swords, only outlaws will be samurai. And then where will we be?
-
Nerds: The Most Dangerous Game
-
Look, if you outlaw samurai swords, only outlaws will be samurai. And then where will we be?
Stuck in a country full of ronin, that's where.
-
Whereas counterintuitively "combat ready" swords are completely blunt and couldn't cut butter. They hurt like shit when you hit yourself in the head with them, though.
-
Whereas counterintuitively "combat ready" swords are completely blunt and couldn't cut butter. They hurt like shit when you hit yourself in the head with them, though.
Doesn't "combat-ready" in this context just mean you can whack it against something without snapping the blade off the hilt? Although it would make sense that such a sword is expected by the manufacturer to be swung around by its end-users and therefore left as relatively nonlethal as possible.
-
Doesn't "combat-ready" in this context just mean you can whack it against something without snapping the blade off the hilt? Although it would make sense that such a sword is expected by the manufacturer to be swung around by its end-users and therefore left as relatively nonlethal as possible.
Yeah. The word "stage" is implied since they're intended for sword fights in plays.
-
I'm moderately surprised that we don't have a Iaido practitioner amongst us to set us all straight. Any sufficiently large group of nerds usually has at least one.