The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 07:39:07 am

Title: Mary Travers Dead
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 07:39:07 am
story (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/17/obit.mary.travers/index.html?iref=mpstoryview)

I've always been a big fan of Peter Paul and Mary.  I never saw them perform, but once I bought my parents tickets to see them and my Dad still talks about getting a kiss from Mary at the after show meet and greet.

She had a beautiful voice.

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HSfKjOKYI)
Title: Re: Mary Travers Dead
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2009, 12:38:36 pm
She was born in Louisville, which makes her OK with me.

Lovely voice.  Peter, Paul and Mary seem to have been one of the few groups that endured from the folk boom of the early late 50s early 60s.

Now, If I had a Shovel...
Title: Re: Mary Travers Dead
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2009, 01:44:55 pm
My mother just called me to tell me a little story.  She often keeps her great grand child who is 3 and is greatly enamored of Puff the Magic Dragon and sings snippets of it frequently.  Unbeknownst that Mary Travers had died, this morning my mother decided to look up the song on You Tube to show to the little girl Sadie.

When they watched the video Sadie was taken aback by Mary Travers and kept repeating, I like her, I like her... She's pretty.  She said it over and over.

Just about the time the song ended my father came into the room and informed them that she had died.

Isn't that weird?
Title: Re: Mary Travers Dead
Post by: jaydub on September 17, 2009, 04:28:49 pm
Synchronicity. 

Her surname wasn't familiar to me, but once you put her in context I immediately remembered watching her perform on TV from when I was, like, 7.
Title: Re: Mary Travers Dead
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 18, 2009, 01:04:28 pm
A couple weeks ago one of the kids got a large inflatable hammer as a party favor from a friend's birthday party.  This led to a round of "If I Had a Hammer" for me and the missus, while the kids were like "What?!"