The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: alreadyinuse on October 11, 2009, 08:47:15 am

Title: herro
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 11, 2009, 08:47:15 am
anyway,.  hi.  what's up everyone

I'm early 30s

unemployed

want to move to Oregon or Washington state or Canada

I have asperger syndrome a little bit.  maybe a lot.  it's one of those things that's hard to quantify. 

single

information technology entrepreneur, with a focus on social networking technology

currently sorting through my stuff to get rid of extra luggage to facilitate moving.

xferring the old VHS tapes to DVD

selling unwanted crap on ebay

collecting unemployment

fluent in French

Title: Re: herro
Post by: smick on October 11, 2009, 09:21:18 pm
unemployed

want to move to Oregon or Washington state or Canada

Oregon told me to tell you, "Go Fuck Yourself: Anywhere but here." and asked me to pass on this URL.  http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST410000&q=oregon+unemployment+rate

Sorry it didn't work out.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 11, 2009, 09:27:41 pm
Oregon told me to tell you, "Go Fuck Yourself: Anywhere but here." and asked me to pass on this URL.  http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST410000&q=oregon+unemployment+rate

Sorry it didn't work out.
(http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/ab32.gif)
Title: Re: herro
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2009, 09:33:48 pm
everyplace I want to live has no jobs.

and where my parents live has less than no jobs.

I am worried. also, St Louis is basically the cheapest place to live in the entire world. I do not look forward to having to pay rent that is both more than my current rent, and paid for with money that I have earned by doing something other than being a mix of the right people's gametes.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 11, 2009, 10:43:43 pm
The relative unemployment rates of different states or countries is at best not useful or meaningful and at worst is deceptive.  As with a medical study, when you compare some metric between different populations, you have to account for all sorts of variables that could skew the metric in the first place, and in the second place, a good dose of informed and unbiased interpretation may be in order...  For instance, the unemployment rate of North Dakota is always pretty damn low... However North Dakota is a place in which you'd probably not want to live regardless of if you were employed or not...

Comparing North Dakota and Oregon, for instance, you see that while the unemployment rate of Oregon is exponentially higher than that of North Dakota, you also see that using the past few years as a baseline, the magnitude of increase for each state is relatively similar, probably even more similar if you compare specific areas of employment...  A disproportionate portion of North Dakota's employment comes from areas that are more stable than the norm... areas such as agriculture and the public sector; due to the state's low population density, the ratio of government jobs to private industry jobs is exponentially higher for North Dakota than it is for Oregon.

So all things considered, the average Joe would probably have a tougher time finding a job in North Dakota than in Oregon right now, unless said Joe had connections within the community.  If said Joe is a racial minority or is a single woman, his/her chances of finding a job go down considerably, and again, we're talking about a place in which you probably don't want to live or work anyway...

Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 12, 2009, 12:00:56 am
anyway,.  hi.  what's up everyone

I'm early 30s

unemployed

want to move to Oregon or Washington state or Canada

I have asperger syndrome a little bit.  maybe a lot.  it's one of those things that's hard to quantify. 

single

information technology entrepreneur, with a focus on social networking technology

currently sorting through my stuff to get rid of extra luggage to facilitate moving.

xferring the old VHS tapes to DVD

selling unwanted crap on ebay

collecting unemployment

fluent in French




hello, stereotype

i would ask you how you were doing but i do not care
Title: Re: herro
Post by: theinevitable on October 12, 2009, 12:04:50 am
Quote
hello, stereotype

i would ask you how you were doing but i do not care

I can't decide which of you is actually more of an internet stereotype.

"Hi, I'm a nice guy who is maybe a little awkward or something"
"HEY, WHY DO YOU THINK I CARE ABOUT YOU! I BLOCK ALL PMS! STOP TELLING ME ABOUT BACON THINGS! I HAVE SEEN EVERY BACON THING!"
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 12, 2009, 12:12:16 am
I can't decide which of you is actually more of an internet stereotype.

"Hi, I'm a nice guy who is maybe a little awkward or something"
"HEY, WHY DO YOU THINK I CARE ABOUT YOU! I BLOCK ALL PMS! STOP TELLING ME ABOUT BACON THINGS! I HAVE SEEN EVERY BACON THING!"

The man is correct, I have seen every bacon thing.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: linnea on October 12, 2009, 02:34:20 am
I can't decide which of you is actually more of an internet stereotype.

"Hi, I'm a nice guy who is maybe a little awkward or something"
"HEY, WHY DO YOU THINK I CARE ABOUT YOU! I BLOCK ALL PMS! STOP TELLING ME ABOUT BACON THINGS! I HAVE SEEN EVERY BACON THING!"

canned
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 12, 2009, 02:39:59 am
canned

I just farted. It was magnificent.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 12, 2009, 04:19:34 am
i don't think I'm a stereotype

and I just noticed this:  Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65470

that seems kinda close to the limit for a short integer whatever that is in various programming languages

um..  that seems like you must have cheated. 
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Doc on October 12, 2009, 06:13:56 am
The Board itself cheats in Bobby's favour.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2009, 06:43:46 am
The Board itself cheats in Bobby's favour.

true. it's programmed in.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 12, 2009, 07:03:54 am
um..  that seems like you must have cheated. 

bla bla bla... something about ur cry cry face, etc.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 12, 2009, 08:36:57 am
(http://greenclassblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/sock-puppet.jpg)

?
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 12, 2009, 11:45:43 am
i don't think I'm a stereotype

and I just noticed this:  Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65470

that seems kinda close to the limit for a short integer whatever that is in various programming languages

um..  that seems like you must have cheated. 

since cans can go negative, a short would cover -32768 to 32767 . an UNSIGNED short would cover 0 to 65535 but that doesnt apply here

a long word would hold a much larger range, in the billions (again depending on signage)


in other news, bubblesort is how i beat that color matching test



this thread is now about ...


computer science
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 12, 2009, 11:49:23 am
(http://greenclassblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/sock-puppet.jpg)

?

I was just talking with A Cap last night about how  I need to make my own sockpuppet, but no one I can make would be as entertaining as the unfilitered me.

Title: Re: herro
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2009, 01:03:31 pm
It's adorable!
Title: Re: herro
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2009, 02:43:20 pm
Hey, did anybody else watch AB's 10th Anniversary show? 

That guy looks a lot like a yeast.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: jaydub on October 12, 2009, 05:53:43 pm
Alton Brown?(http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LGxjuTLVjC_wLM:http://i32.tinypic.com/n4frl5.jpg)

He looks rather cephalic for a yeast.  Maybe an evolved, multicellular colony of them?
Title: Re: herro
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2009, 06:00:10 pm
Yeasts. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqxkMqsEQI0)
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 12, 2009, 06:31:17 pm
Hey, did anybody else watch AB's 10th Anniversary show? 

That guy looks a lot like a yeast.

I watched it, and said "This is incredibly stupid and embarrassing" for about half of it.  And yet I watched the whole thing.

I'm thinking Sifl & Olly, myself.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2009, 06:57:30 pm
I watched it, and said "This is incredibly stupid and embarrassing" for about half of it.  And yet I watched the whole thing.

I'm thinking Sifl & Olly, myself.

It's on my Tivo waiting to be watched. Now I'm apprehensive.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2009, 07:25:37 pm
I watched it, and said "This is incredibly stupid and embarrassing" for about half of it.  And yet I watched the whole thing.

I'm thinking Sifl & Olly, myself.

Yeah, it wasn't great, but it did have both W and Shirley Corriher.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2009, 07:54:21 pm
I missed this. I guess telling the DVR to record all new episodes of Good Eats wasn't good enough.

I did hear him on NPR saying he'd lost 50 pounds mostly just by giving up milk because if you can't have milk you don't want to eat cookies. It sounds simple, but I guess lots of forms of torture are simple.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: smick on October 12, 2009, 08:18:10 pm
Some weird logic about why high unemployment is a positive thing.

Hey man.   I'm just passing on what Oregon told me to tell you.   I told it about your post and it said "Seriously.  No.  Has he tried Boise, Idaho?"

So...maybe check there.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 12, 2009, 08:45:06 pm
He was interviewed in the Onion AV Club this past week http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/ (http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/)(note: story seems to be temporarily down), and sounded exceptionally bitter about his self-imposed new diet (almonds, fruit smoothies, and sardines, for those who do not wish to read the article). He also came off as way more of a douche than usual in this interview (his"usual" ranging from warm, open, and generally wonderful in his "Feasting On" specials, and "really douchy" in some episodes of Iron Chef America). 

A personal twitch happened when he mentioned that America has gotten too religiously heterogenous over the past few decades.  I...ugh.  Don't even want to go there.  Okay, I am going there.  Born-again Christianity is fabulous, I'm sure, and I am sure he'd love others to be as fabulously happy as he is, but come on.  While I'm sure it's part of the born-again terms of agreement that one must work to get everyone to believe the same new beliefs, there's room for all 304,059,724 forms of religion in this country (I personally counted).  (No I didn't.) 
Title: Re: herro
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2009, 09:05:38 pm
He was interviewed in the Onion AV Club this past week http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/ (http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/)(note: story seems to be temporarily down), and sounded exceptionally bitter about his self-imposed new diet (almonds, fruit smoothies, and sardines, for those who do not wish to read the article). He also came off as way more of a douche than usual in this interview

Well, I'd be cranky too, on that diet.

Also: very interesting interview, thanks for the link. I have to stop forgetting to read the AV Club since they stopped printing The Onion on paper around here.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 12, 2009, 10:00:29 pm
He was interviewed in the Onion AV Club this past week http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/ (http://www.avclub.com/articles/alton-brown%2C33872/)(note: story seems to be temporarily down), and sounded exceptionally bitter about his self-imposed new diet (almonds, fruit smoothies, and sardines, for those who do not wish to read the article). He also came off as way more of a douche than usual in this interview (his"usual" ranging from warm, open, and generally wonderful in his "Feasting On" specials, and "really douchy" in some episodes of Iron Chef America). 

A personal twitch happened when he mentioned that America has gotten too religiously heterogenous over the past few decades.  I...ugh.  Don't even want to go there.  Okay, I am going there.  Born-again Christianity is fabulous, I'm sure, and I am sure he'd love others to be as fabulously happy as he is, but come on.  While I'm sure it's part of the born-again terms of agreement that one must work to get everyone to believe the same new beliefs, there's room for all 304,059,724 forms of religion in this country (I personally counted).  (No I didn't.) 

Really? I don't think that's what he said. He seems to have nostalgia for simpler times, but he seems to be describing rather than decrying:

Quote
AVC: So has the foodie explosion made home cooking more or less accessible for beginner cooks?

AB: I think it’s made it harder, because I think that the foodie culture comes with a bit of snobism and elitism. It’s like the whole slow-foods thing. I still don’t know what the heck that’s about. Food’s either good or it’s bad. I think that anything that striates food or puts it into categories tends to intimidate people. I’d still rather have my wife’s Thursday-night spaghetti than the fancy blah-blah-blah from the Charlie Trotter cookbook. But that’s just my taste. But I don’t think that foodie-ism has made it easier for beginner cooks. Because you know what it does? It’s pushed the family cookbook off the shelf and it’s made food more about jumping through hoops; expensive, hard-to-find ingredients; and processes that are over a lot of people’s heads. So I think a lot of that stuff has gotten in the way of good home cooking.

AVC: You’ve said you conceived Good Eats because you wanted a cooking show that wasn’t boring.

AB: But I also wanted it to be accessible. I wanted the food to be stuff that everybody can do. There’s never been a Good Eats recipe or application that could not be done with anybody with half a mind and two hands.

AVC: But it seems that food as entertainment is huge today: Iron Chef, Top Chef, Hell’s Kitchen, No Reservations, the Food Network as a whole. Where do you think this trend of watching food came from?

AB: I think it comes from the fact that we live in a constantly fracturing culture. You know, when I was a kid, there were three networks, and people had more in common on the streets. Let’s put it this way: We had more in common than not in common. Well, one of the things about the Internet and the culture that’s come out of the Internet is that it’s made people cluster into micro-communities. We’ve become hive-minded. We’ll gather with four people who have something obscure in common with us, like “I macramé squirrels!” or something that’s far less appealing than that. We’ve lost a lot of our commonality. We don’t believe in the same religious aspects in this country anymore, we are more fractioned from a political standpoint. Just the fact that we have 600 channels fractions us even further.

But we crave commonality, and when you talk to anthropologists about this subject, they’ll tell you no matter where you go on planet Earth, no matter how obscure the tribe, no matter how remote the village, there are two things that everybody wants to do in a group: One of them is laugh. The other one is eat. Food is the last thing we have in common with each other, and we crave it. If you think about it, the words “communicate,” “communion,” “communal,” “commune,” all come from the basic root word for “common,” which just simply means to make one, to make common. We crave it. And I think that one of the reasons Food Network tends to be more popular—besides the fact that we’re family-friendly, relatively smart, good clean entertainment—is that we help with the commonality. We need to have something in common with each other, and food’s it.

It can also make for fantastic spectacle. And passions, and experiences. It’s the switchboard of life, food is. That’s how I see it, at least. And I think that explains the phenomenon, if it is a phenomenon. I mean, I look at it and it doesn’t seem like a phenomenon, because I look at food and say, “Of course, it’s infinitely interesting.” Everything connects through it; there is no food story I don’t find fascinating. But I don’t consider myself a foodie, I’m not. I don’t get all frothed up about this season’s Spanish saffron fad. I get more frothed up about flying airplanes than I do about cooking. But what I do like is that I can cook and feed my family and be self-reliant. And I enjoy that, but I can’t get that excited about it. There are a lot more things in life than eating. And I don’t spend that much time cooking. I cook smart, I cook fast, I get on with it.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 13, 2009, 02:15:58 am
Really? I don't think that's what he said. He seems to have nostalgia for simpler times, but he seems to be describing rather than decrying:

Hmm, I'm definitely willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but to me,
Quote
We don’t believe in the same religious aspects in this country anymore
and
Quote
there were three networks, and people had more in common on the streets
seems to reek of "we were all good Christians together once, and now all y'all are just a bunch of freaks.  Oh, and things were much better when the mainstream media...the ONLY media, in fact...put forth the quality ideas and opinions of quality white middle- to upper-class males and that's the way it should continue to be."

Or, perhaps I'm reading too much into a (real) interview in a (fake) newspaper.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: schnitzelbank on October 13, 2009, 03:13:31 am
The Board itself cheats in Bobby's favour.

These shenanigans are why I have to beat him with hot bacon strips every morning. Otherwise he gets uppity.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2009, 03:35:32 am
bluemoon help me out here, is this true

 schnitzelbank : alreadyinuse :: miss piggy : frank oz
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 13, 2009, 03:38:13 am
bluemoon help me out here, is this true

 schnitzelbank : alreadyinuse :: miss piggy : frank oz

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. This plus the bacon reference reeks of Choop sockpuppet.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: schnitzelbank on October 13, 2009, 03:59:48 am
Methinks the lady doth protest too much. This plus the bacon reference reeks of Choop sockpuppet.

And here I thought you would appreciate the nod to your ornithological fetish in my icon. The costume won't be ready until after the tailor gets that shipment of feathers - in the meantime I thought this would do. Should I try a picture of Stephen Fry then? I don't know who you were looking at in that video you played over and over today.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 13, 2009, 04:07:12 am
Now I KNOW you are Choop.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 13, 2009, 04:32:58 am
There are a lot of things on this messageboard I don't understand.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: schnitzelbank on October 13, 2009, 04:37:04 am
Now I KNOW you are Choop.

You're just cranky about the Cylons taking your eye.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2009, 04:51:20 am
haha, bobby, i have no interest in a sockpuppet

why don't we join forces with the side of good, you and me (just this once), and get to the bottom of this.

hm. too bad dawg and v don't visit, they could verify IPs, and trust me, i'm too lazy to use a proxy.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 13, 2009, 05:53:29 am
haha, bobby, i have no interest in a sockpuppet

why don't we join forces with the side of good, you and me (just this once), and get to the bottom of this.

hm. too bad dawg and v don't visit, they could verify IPs, and trust me, i'm too lazy to use a proxy.

nah, im just messing with you. schnitzelwhatever is the ol' ball and chain
Title: Re: herro
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 13, 2009, 12:45:20 pm
bluemoon help me out here, is this true

 schnitzelbank : alreadyinuse :: miss piggy : frank oz
Mmm, I don't think so; completely different sentence construction. But then, I'm no expert. It has finally occurred to me that gladi8orrex (from Assetbar) is probably Mr. Wonderful, though.  Took me a while.

Incidentally, I hope you don't think bluemoon72 : alreadyinuse :: johnny : senor wences.  'Cause I'm real, man.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: CortJstr on October 13, 2009, 12:47:55 pm
S'ok?

S'alright.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Doc on October 13, 2009, 12:59:40 pm
Mr. Wonderful is Onstad, who is in turn a manifestation of Wombat's subconscious being expressed in a book she is writing that contains a background character that sometimes posts on an online message board about cartoon cats. Just like the rest of us.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: wombat on October 13, 2009, 01:08:14 pm
You know how you hear authors in interviews saying what sounds like insane ravings about how characters get out of their control and do stuff they didn't expect and so on? It's true.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 13, 2009, 01:11:49 pm
Mr. Wonderful is Onstad, who is in turn a manifestation of Wombat's subconscious being expressed in a book she is writing that contains a background character that sometimes posts on an online message board about cartoon cats. Just like the rest of us.
MY HEAD IS OFFICIALLY BLOWN.  Too bad I still have to work today.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 13, 2009, 02:03:31 pm
Mr. Wonderful = American Intercontinental University.
Title: Re: herro
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2009, 03:00:28 pm
Mr. Wonderful = Always Incontinence User