The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on October 14, 2009, 01:02:31 am

Title: Skunk
Post by: miles on October 14, 2009, 01:02:31 am
Best article (http://www.slate.com/id/2232163/pagenum/all) on skunks ever. It's part of a series by Constance Casey on revolting creatures. You can find the links to the other entries at the top of the article. The one on vultures (http://www.slate.com/id/2209166/pagenum/all) is good.

I also skimmed through her blog The Observant Gardener (http://theobservantgardener.com/) and even though I have no interest in gardening, and it appears to actually be about gardening related things, as opposed to international intrigue, I've enjoyed it so far.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: CortJstr on October 14, 2009, 01:20:29 am
Now I want a pet skunk
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: wombat on October 14, 2009, 02:32:18 am
This is a nice piece about skunks, but it doesn't belong in a series about revolting animals that only consists of five previous articles. There are many, many more revolting creatures that one should be writing about before getting as far down the list as skunks.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2009, 04:13:55 am
There are many, many more revolting creatures that one should be writing about before getting as far down the list as skunks.

Yeah, like a parasite that will eat your tongue.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: wombat on October 14, 2009, 12:56:18 pm
Exactly what I was thinking of. I would have linked to it but I decided it was just too cruel.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: miles on October 14, 2009, 12:59:08 pm
I was going to post this there but decided that the thread had stayed so on-topic it wouldn't have been fair. Seriously, that thread has been about parasites and tiny cans. I didn't think skunks belonged in the mix.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 14, 2009, 02:13:10 pm
See, I liked that article precisely because skunks are actually NOT as revolting as most people think they are.

I saw one in my neighborhood this summer.  Truckin' across the street late at night.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: jaydub on October 14, 2009, 05:27:49 pm
Agreed.  Skunks are kind of cute and awesome.  As long as they are outside and not sneaking in to eat your dog's food.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: linnea on October 15, 2009, 02:28:36 am
I think that when skunks are clean and indoors-only they are cute and kind of kitty-like. I saw a cute video that some lady in Florida posted of her pet skunk, Mr. Waddles. He was hell of cuddly-looking, and got along pretty well with her four cats. All trundling along and doing tricks in exchange for extra treats, which his corpulent ass didn't really need.
Title: Re: Skunk
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2009, 02:47:05 am
All trundling along and doing tricks in exchange for extra treats, which his corpulent ass didn't really need.

You had better give the treats if you know what's good for you.