The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on December 02, 2003, 10:47:58 am

Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: starlight on December 02, 2003, 10:47:58 am
Mmmm... this strip makes me hungry, yo!

...and it also makes me want to play a video game for some reason.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: slink on December 02, 2003, 10:58:07 am
V - was it you who said something about the switch to light and comic being a whiplash effect?
Keep saying stuff like that, I want to see how far he can take it the other way.

Lovely.

Oh, and not only is the art lovely - the flames on the dark rock and whatnot, but the car is stunning in this one. All those different angles, and it looks perfect in each and every one. I think Ontsad actually makes that Brat look like a pretty sexy car! Damn!
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: andalucia on December 02, 2003, 11:54:08 am
Man I love this strip.

My fave has to be the ominous stalactites behind the KFC.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: side_show on December 02, 2003, 12:14:07 pm
This was the first laugh-out-loud one in a while for me.  It's the hat and the alt text that did it for me.  I like that there's a KFC in hell.  That was where I had my first job, and I can honestly say it was pretty close to hellto begin with anyway.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2003, 01:55:14 pm
I always wondered what the food in hell was.  (I already know that the music is improvisatory modern jazz.)  Now I know, and it definitely makes sense.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: V-Adore on December 02, 2003, 02:17:32 pm
Quote from: "slink"
V - was it you who said something about the switch to light and comic being a whiplash effect?
Keep saying stuff like that, I want to see how far he can take it the other way.

Lovely.

Oh, and not only is the art lovely - the flames on the dark rock and whatnot, but the car is stunning in this one. All those different angles, and it looks perfect in each and every one. I think Ontsad actually makes that Brat look like a pretty sexy car! Damn!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Although I can't say I'm sorry to be proven wrong. Dang, but this is some fine-lookin' background art!

Anyway... I'm trying to think through the implications of Ray eating at KFC after being sent to hell via vegetarian-related death, but heck, I'm tired. I'll probably post my armchair xenology ranting later.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2003, 02:18:55 pm
Yeah, yeah, the Brats an ugly car and KFC sucks.  This strip is shooting giraffe in a barrel.  Ray better watch out or he's gonna wind up on the other end of this phone conversation (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05202003).

~Paul
Title: Afterlife cuisine
Post by: Gimpson on December 02, 2003, 03:02:18 pm
So let me get this straight...  In Hell, you get tender, juicy Kentucky Fried Chicken, but in Heaven you just get a pan of roast rooster?  

I think I'll just continue in my evil ways...
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: side_show on December 02, 2003, 03:28:26 pm
I was actually thinking that the drink was all that Ray bought, in that in Hades insanely overpriced soda is the norm, but now that I look at it again I see a little bag on the seat too.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: CortJstr on December 02, 2003, 05:46:59 pm
Obviously they have KFC down there. Because Popeye's is FAR too good for the damned and Roy Roger's is just too cruel, even for Beelzebub.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: slink on December 02, 2003, 06:11:32 pm
No. They have every fast food franchise you can think of in Hell.
Aaaaaaaall of them.
In Heaven you have to cook for yourself, which you may think of as hardwork, but it makes food in Heaven edible!
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: Gimpson on December 02, 2003, 06:59:22 pm
Oh, I'm down for cooking, but it doesn't even sound like you can get good ingredients in Heaven.  It's like when I lived in Arkansas and couldn't find dried black mushrooms to save my life.  Had to order them online.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: V-Adore on December 02, 2003, 09:32:40 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Oh, I'm down for cooking, but it doesn't even sound like you can get good ingredients in Heaven.  It's like when I lived in Arkansas and couldn't find dried black mushrooms to save my life.  Had to order them online.

I assumed that this was Beef's nervousness problem with shopping. He was also a newbie; presumably, after you've been in Heaven for a few years, you know all the best places to shop.

Hell's KFCs are where bad Animal 57s (http://www.kibo.com) go when they die.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: starlight on December 03, 2003, 12:27:53 am
Hee!  this is what my mom replied to my email regarding the strip (she's a lot funnier than me):

***haha...hell IS kind of a weird place...did you notice the "tunnel wall" looks like legs and a "crotch"....?!  : D
little "pots" of fire and a KFC...could be worse...
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: jough on December 03, 2003, 01:17:20 am
Oh, please.  Your mom thinks *everything* looks like a crotch.

And damn Onstad changed the alt text to "Hell is kind of a weird place."

The $4.95 was much funnier.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2003, 02:52:31 am
I thought the tunnel wall looked like legs and a crotch too (shut up, El Guapo...).  In fact, once I noticed the one section of tunnel wall that looked like legs and a crotch, all the rest of the tunnel walls seemed vaguely like distorted body parts, which I found suitable creepy for the walls of Gehenna (betcha hadn't filtered that one.)
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2003, 03:14:19 am
Quote from: "Sad Because His New Computer Arrived Broken :("

And damn Onstad changed the alt text to "Hell is kind of a weird place."

The $4.95 was much funnier.

Yeah, really. Especially considering that half the gag is how entirely non-weird Hell is -- Ray's driving around! Getting take-out! It's entirely blase!

Bah.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: doomglobe on December 03, 2003, 03:25:32 am
I think there would probably be more speedbumps in hell.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2003, 03:29:53 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
I think there would probably be more speedbumps in hell.


Please, they're calling them "speed cushions" now. The boys down in marketing came up with that one.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2003, 03:33:24 am
I think there would be a lot of 4-way stops with everybody waiting for everybody else to go first and gesturing in a friendly manner while boiling on the inside.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: St_Zartan on December 03, 2003, 04:41:01 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Yeah, really. Especially considering that half the gag is how entirely non-weird Hell is -- Ray's driving around! Getting take-out! It's entirely blase!


You cannot get delicious drinks made with soothing, medicinal expensive liquors in the fast food drive-thru. Ray is on the ropes here. Will be wringing out those little complimentary moist towelettes into a cocktail shaker.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2003, 04:54:04 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
You cannot get delicious drinks made with soothing, medicinal expensive liquors in the fast food drive-thru. Ray is on the ropes here. Will be wringing out those little complimentary moist towelettes into a cocktail shaker.


Just. Wow. Keep it up, Zart. I'm beginning to like you. And after only like 6 posts? Wow.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2003, 06:44:32 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
You cannot get delicious drinks made with soothing, medicinal expensive liquors in the fast food drive-thru. Ray is on the ropes here. Will be wringing out those little complimentary moist towelettes into a cocktail shaker.


Just. Wow. Keep it up, Zart. I'm beginning to like you. And after only like 6 posts? Wow.

Seconded.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: starlight on December 03, 2003, 10:30:08 am
Quote from: "Sad Because His New Computer Arrived Broken :("
Oh, please.  Your mom thinks *everything* looks like a crotch.

And damn Onstad changed the alt text to "Hell is kind of a weird place."

The $4.95 was much funnier.


I just emailed her about this!
I'm sure she'll get a laugh that her phrase was used ..haHAH
her comment to the comic before this was "I have one tofutti-cutie left in the freezer ..want it?" (she wants to kill me dramatically!! ..though I doubt one would be enough for brain freeze) ..I s'pose that's not funny enough.

..of course, yes, I, too, liked $4.95 better ..reason I called the thread this - I s'pose it lives on :D
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: slink on December 03, 2003, 03:10:27 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
You cannot get delicious drinks made with soothing, medicinal expensive liquors in the fast food drive-thru. Ray is on the ropes here. Will be wringing out those little complimentary moist towelettes into a cocktail shaker.


Just. Wow. Keep it up, Zart. I'm beginning to like you. And after only like 6 posts? Wow.

Seconded.


Wow. Yea. Thirded!
Sounds like you belong here.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: jough on December 03, 2003, 08:06:38 pm
starlight, I was under the impression that your mom used that phrase *because* it was the alt text when she looked at it, and not that Onstad read this thread and used your mom's phrase.

I'm just saying.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: St_Zartan on December 04, 2003, 01:58:29 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

I live just outside the town where Colonel Sanders spent the last 20 years or so of his life.  His wife had a restaurant called "The Colonel's Lady" on the edge of town.


Judging from the sounds of this (http://www.retrolicious.com/siftings/Colonel%20Sanders%20-%20Outtakes.mp3), the Colonel's last years were entirely different.

Musical Question: What do you do with a Kentucky Colonel?
Why turn him into a rapping cartoon of course
WAIT A GODDAMN MINUTE, THAT DOESN'T SCAN OR RHYME OR ANYTHING BLAM THUD SIGH
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: starlight on December 04, 2003, 05:12:44 am
Quote from: "Anxiously Awaiting His Replacement Computer"
starlight, I was under the impression that your mom used that phrase *because* it was the alt text when she looked at it, and not that Onstad read this thread and used your mom's phrase.

I'm just saying.


Yeah, I'm aware of that now (when I emailed her, she explained she didn't come up with the phrase and was just agreeing) :(
I'm quite the idiot sometimes ..hahah.  seriously, I didn't know the alt-text was changed till ya brought it up thus I assumed.  I'm a bit loopy lately ...blame mah sinuses ..heh
Title: poor memories
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 06, 2003, 11:31:02 pm
Ironic, all of you, that Ray would go to KFC, given that he died a vegan after reading Fast Food Nation.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: St_Zartan on December 07, 2003, 01:02:59 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I've come to realize that my perception of the world was strongly influenced by the fact that I read Big and Bigger Secrets obsessively as a child.


Had your internal wiring completely fucked up at a tender age by all that dreadful and spooky shit about numbers stations too, eh? Perhaps this (http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/) will help you find closure. I occasionally like to leave these playing at considerable volume when I leave the apartment. This is because my neighbor is a complete dick.

Also, did the italic typeface in Big Secrets have an intentionally scary quality to it, or is it just associative on my part?
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: andalucia on December 07, 2003, 04:08:44 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Perhaps this (http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/) will help you find closure.


That is so far beyond rad I have no further slang terms to express how much I enjoy it.
Title: $4.95 12/02
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 07, 2003, 08:47:18 am
Jeff Tweedy loves you, St. Zartan.