The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: alreadyinuse on October 15, 2009, 04:08:42 am

Title: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 15, 2009, 04:08:42 am
hi everyone

I am thinking maybe I should make a blog

but I want to have a fair degree of ease of use and power and stuff in managing the content that I generate, and in giving different users different levels of access to specific bits and pieces of content and stuff

I've tried some free BBS software similar to what TOUAMB runs on and that didn't hack it.  too cumbersome. 

I have a dreamhost account, so that means I can run pretty much any sort of linux sorta thing with mysql and so on.

but anyway, if I just want to do a basic blog, what should I use for that?  any suggestions or experiences?

Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 15, 2009, 04:10:32 am
TL ;  DR
(http://www.dehats.com/drupal/files/funny-dog-pictures-pug-has-sad.jpg)
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 15, 2009, 04:14:44 am
(http://pugpuppiesblog.com/files/Art_Print_Pug_through_the_Years.jpg)
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: lprkn on October 15, 2009, 04:21:30 am
Unfortunately, that is not my area of expertise. Actually, I don't think that I really have any area of expertise. But, best of luck in your endeavors.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 15, 2009, 04:24:29 am
I am sure you are smart in some way
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 15, 2009, 04:29:35 am
hi everyone

I am thinking maybe I should make a blog

but I want to have a fair degree of ease of use and power and stuff in managing the content that I generate, and in giving different users different levels of access to specific bits and pieces of content and stuff

I've tried some free BBS software similar to what TOUAMB runs on and that didn't hack it.  too cumbersome. 

I have a dreamhost account, so that means I can run pretty much any sort of linux sorta thing with mysql and so on.

but anyway, if I just want to do a basic blog, what should I use for that?  any suggestions or experiences?




wordpress
for greater granularity, zope/plone
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Doc on October 15, 2009, 04:43:18 am
Yeah, wordpress is basically the standard, hell i think you can even set one up on the free at wordpress.com if you want to try it out.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 15, 2009, 04:47:38 am
Yeah, wordpress is basically the standard, hell i think you can even set one up on the free at wordpress.com if you want to try it out.

I dunno, Mr. Wonderful is a programmer of some sort right? He wants greater control.

Mr. Wonderful, I've heard of something that fits your needs, but I forget what it is called - it is based around a perl 6 interpreter written in Haskell.  So it's versatile AND elegand.

Just go to google and type

perl 6 interpreter haskell

and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" - it's the first hit.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: jaydub on October 15, 2009, 05:06:01 am
(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/pug3.jpg)
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Choop on October 15, 2009, 05:17:26 am
THIS CHAIR!
(http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/chicago/4-17-08eamespug.jpg)
I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 15, 2009, 05:18:21 am
THIS CHAIR!
(http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/chicago/4-17-08eamespug.jpg)
I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!

My basal nervous system WANTS this chair!
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 15, 2009, 05:19:45 am
THIS CHAIR!
(http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/chicago/4-17-08eamespug.jpg)
I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!
That chair is pretty sweet, I can not find a bad thing to say about that chair, no sir.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2009, 06:13:22 am
If your main thing is to have a blog then I think Wordpress is the one you want.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2009, 12:45:23 pm
I think WordStar is what you're looking for. 

WordStar.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Doc on October 15, 2009, 12:54:18 pm
Just go to google and type

perl 6 interpreter haskell

and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" - it's the first hit.

Bobby shows the trolls how it's done.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 15, 2009, 02:02:59 pm
I run Moveable Type.
http://www.movabletype.org/download.html
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: smick on October 15, 2009, 02:56:53 pm
WordPerfect 5.1
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 15, 2009, 06:30:49 pm
I find that Microsoft Word is very good at allowing people to write a sentence on the computer.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2009, 06:56:12 pm
Word Perfect was the best until Microsoft snuffed them.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 15, 2009, 07:08:05 pm
ClarisWorks 5 and WordStar.
"WORDSTAR 6.0

Big but not unwieldy, powerful but not too complex, packed with desktop publishing features and advanced integration capabilities for power users—WordStar 6.0 is all these things and more."
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Mr Trout on October 15, 2009, 09:48:52 pm
THIS CHAIR!
(http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/chicago/4-17-08eamespug.jpg)
I THINK MY HEART'S EXPLODING!
That chair is pretty sweet, I can not find a bad thing to say about that chair, no sir.

(I'm quoting the image too since it is fantastic)

I think it's an Eames Lounge Chair. I really want to believe that someone built a perfect scale model of it for this little pug to sit in.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Choop on October 15, 2009, 10:07:33 pm
yes it is the classic eames chair plus ottoman. i've seen miniatures of it in all sizes, and that looks like it could be a puppy that would comfortably fit in one of the sizes i have in fact seen with mine own two eyes.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: wombat on October 15, 2009, 11:08:45 pm
I think it's an Eames Lounge Chair. I really want to believe that someone built a perfect scale model of it for this little pug to sit in.

I read a long thread somewhere where people were arguing about whether this was Photoshopped but I, too, want to believe.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Mr Trout on October 15, 2009, 11:53:16 pm
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and animated gifs but after a little bit of internet sleuthing (okay, a few minutes in google image search) I think I found the original source image of the chair (and I made a little animation to illustrate that):

(http://imgur.com/gfXbP.gif)

Still, quite a clever and well-done photoshop, though the fact that the laminate floor looked to be pug-sized made me a bit suspicious.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: lprkn on October 16, 2009, 12:01:48 am
неeeeeeeeeeeeт!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: wombat on October 16, 2009, 12:17:48 am
You mean they don't make pug-sized laminate floor?
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 16, 2009, 12:27:15 am
I made a little animation to illustrate that:

What does the Cyrillic translate to?
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Mr Trout on October 16, 2009, 12:36:20 am
What does the Cyrillic translate to?

Oh, I'm not sure. I just used TinyEye to find a larger source image and that one came up.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: AugustWest on October 16, 2009, 01:26:18 am
Photoshop?  Bah!  Clearly that is an enormous pug puppy.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Doc on October 16, 2009, 03:57:26 am
I find that Microsoft Word is very good at allowing people to write a sentence on the computer.

Th-th-the perfect thing to say! Ever!
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 16, 2009, 05:38:44 am

Mr. Wonderful, I've heard of something that fits your needs, but I forget what it is called - it is based around a perl 6 interpreter written in Haskell.  So it's versatile AND elegand.

oh man making me laugh i have no idea what any of that means only that it's funny.
Title: Re: what is a good content management system to use?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 16, 2009, 05:39:38 am
(http://vectortuts.s3.amazonaws.com/tuts/18_Lock_Icon/lock_16.jpg)