The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AugustWest on October 15, 2009, 01:41:23 pm

Title: Calvin Trillin is pretty smart
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2009, 01:41:23 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/opinion/14trillin.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
Title: Re: Calvin Trillin is pretty smart
Post by: Doc on October 15, 2009, 01:55:32 pm
I like this.
It is a thing that most of the people I know whom I consider really intelligent (at least academically) all seem intent in going into industries where they'll make basically no money, or at least not a lot of money for the time it takes to get qualified.
Title: Re: Calvin Trillin is pretty smart
Post by: wombat on October 15, 2009, 02:05:57 pm
Damn that makes a lot of sense.

Title: Re: Calvin Trillin is pretty smart
Post by: jaydub on October 15, 2009, 03:04:13 pm
A-CAP and I should swap jobs for the benefit of humanity, I guess.
Title: Re: Calvin Trillin is pretty smart
Post by: Doc on October 16, 2009, 03:50:15 am
But now I wonder if I value 'non-practical' intelligence for some reason? Intelligence is a tricky thing to measure, or even define.