The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on October 18, 2009, 05:29:53 am
-
Also considered, "This frikkin' blows (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10172009)". Onstad encapsulates the paranoid weirdness (http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm) of the DPRK rather nicely, actually.
-
This strip is...even weirder than Cartilage Head. Humorous, but waaaay bizarre.
-
That idea does not exist here.
-
He is a hair Icarus.
-
Quit!
There is no place to do that.
That is the scariest thing.
-
Is it sad that I didn't have to look up aglet? That can't be normal.
-
Is it sad that I didn't have to look up aglet? That can't be normal.
Isn't it the things on the end of shoelaces?
-
Isn't it the things on the end of shoelaces?
Yup. I think it's the technically the little deal at the end of any kind of rope or lace or whatever. But the shoelace thing is how I learned it.
-
Word of the day, January 26th, 2005 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01262005)
-
"Tickle Harvest"
-
And "there is not this idea" enters my lexicon.
-
Isn't it the things on the end of shoelaces?
Their true purpose is sinister.
-
Canned for nerdy radness, Doc.
-
Book of Revelations is the aglet of the Bible?
Aglet seems like it could be the crux of many bad metaphors.
"We reached the aglet of our relationship..."
"In the aglet of the game..."
"It's not over till the aglet is hot-compressed onto the it."
.....
-
Book of Revelations is the aglet of the Bible?
Aglet seems like it could be the crux of many bad metaphors.
"We reached the aglet of our relationship..."
"In the aglet of the game..."
"It's not over till the aglet is hot-compressed onto the it."
.....
I slipped the aglet through its eyelet in the sublet by the outlet of the inlet. Then I made an omelet.
-
I slipped the aglet through its eyelet in the sublet by the outlet of the inlet. Then I made an omelet.
OOOHHHHH SHHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT
-
shoelaces are wires
tied they trigger the timer
aglets beep & blink
I cannot run
(the soles are C-4)
oooohhhhh shiiiii -
-
Canned for nerdy radness, Doc.
Thank'ee true believer.
-
Canned for nerdy radness, Doc.
Likewise.
The meta-data for my resume has this line in it.
-
The great thing about The Question is that he's one of those rare comic book characters who gets MORE rad the further and further from his creator's original template.
The first interpretation "The Spirit if he read The Fountainhead" too many times... not so interesting.
All other iterations? Super awesome.
The JLU "Fox Mulder as a superhero" perhaps best of all, other than Rorsharch, who only semi-counts.
-
The thing about The Question, in his original form, is that he was a compromise between the needs of portraying an Objectivist hero and the needs of portraying a superhero you could sell comics about. Now, insofar as he was a superhero espousing a particular worldview other than a poorly-defined "evil is bad, justice is good, yay justice", he's narratively interesting in a way that the majority of superheroes don't bother to be. "Objectivist detective/vigilante" isn't an uninteresting concept (although I wouldn't call it necessarily a likable one). However, the constant need to shy away from objectionable content limited the degree to which the concept could be explored. Ditko later, working for an independent publisher, produced a sort of unchecked version of The Question named Mr. A, which went much further with what could be done in terms of an Objectivist vigilante but also fell into the classic Objectivist trap of never fuck*ng shutting up about Objectivism no matter what you're doing.
-
Ben reads the comics so I don't have to.
-
Ben reads the comics so I don't have to.
are you a nerd by proxy? (maybe for comic books?)
-
It's important to know when to delegate.
-
Yeah, 'Objectivist comic book' is pretty much exactly when you should deligate. By the time you get to Mr A, it's too late.
-
Yeah, 'Objectivist comic book' is pretty much exactly when you should deligate. By the time you get to Mr A, it's too late.
Ditko sort of spawned a weird little archetype of the Objectivist vigilante, though. It's an interesting phenomenon, and Mr. A is just an outlier on that archetype. For truly unreadable Objectivist comics, you have to go beyond even Mr. A to Avenging World, a multi-issue Objectivist rant in comics form that Ditko did for the same publisher - and even that's kinda worth reading, because Ditko puts his full illustration mojo into his personal projects, and he's frankly got a lot of it.
-
(http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/schools/centerville/images/13620F5C6EC448938834AFD0B2B033AA.jpg)