The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: never on October 27, 2009, 02:16:21 am

Title: fat
Post by: never on October 27, 2009, 02:16:21 am
this is about neurological and biological development in general.  in particular, it has some insight into why some people are fat and some are skinny.  good stuff.
http://elliotsmith.us/babies/



(moved from wildcard)
Title: Re: fat
Post by: smick on October 27, 2009, 03:09:48 am
Dude...did you... just call me fat?
Title: Re: fat
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 27, 2009, 03:32:37 am
(http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/fat-pug-fat-dog-cute-dogs-loldogs.jpg)
Title: Re: fat
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 04:39:11 am
Oh how I laughed GK!
Title: Re: fat
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2009, 12:48:56 pm
Lemmy needs a pal on Drinkin' Island. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPd0GgB0JI)
Title: Re: fat
Post by: Mr Trout on October 27, 2009, 02:15:40 pm
I didn't listen to the linked audio, but I was an extremely fat baby (too fat to walk - I didn't take my first steps until 18 mo.) and I'm now an extremely skinny adult (6'7" 165lbs). Whenever I tell people this they think I'm joking.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2009, 02:27:26 pm
(6'7" 165lbs).

Dayum.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 27, 2009, 04:07:17 pm
I didn't listen to the linked audio, but I was an extremely fat baby (too fat to walk - I didn't take my first steps until 18 mo.) and I'm now an extremely skinny adult (6'7" 165lbs). Whenever I tell people this they think I'm joking.
This is, metabolically speaking, fascinating!  Do you eat like a typical adult male eats, or are you very picky regarding food?
Title: Re: fat
Post by: Mr Trout on October 27, 2009, 04:39:44 pm
I'm a pretty typical eater, ie I eat anything and everything. I blame it on my family - we are all tall and thin although I'm on the extreme end of it. Makes finding well-fitting clothes a real bitch.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: jaydub on October 27, 2009, 06:20:24 pm
Yet another person who should just throw out the BMI charts.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: theinevitable on October 27, 2009, 07:30:37 pm
the other day I looked up my BMI, and found out that for the first time in my life I'm in the "normal" range. I've always been in like the 10th percentile... at one point I was off the chart.

college has made me eat a lot of foods that are horrible for me. also, beer. and soda.

in other growing-up news, I am growing hair on my back. EUGH.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: Mr Trout on October 28, 2009, 01:21:17 am
What's weird is I'm actually considered on the low side of normal according to BMI. From what I've read though BMI is mainly useful for quickly determining whether large populations are healthy in general, rather than assessing if a given individual is healthy or not.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2009, 01:50:05 am
I think BMI is only really useful on the individual level if you use displacement. That accounts for the fat/muscle problem.
Title: Re: fat
Post by: lprkn on October 28, 2009, 04:37:34 am
Lemmy needs a pal on Drinkin' Island. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPd0GgB0JI)

If it's wrong to get sentimental over a Lemmy video, then I don't want to be right.