The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Choop on October 31, 2009, 06:35:25 pm

Title: Halloween 2009
Post by: Choop on October 31, 2009, 06:35:25 pm
i know the maki thread veered toward costumes but let's have a thread that starts with this year's and see where it takes us

me: minotaur
the missus: medusa

i'll have pics tomorrow or next day
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: linnea on October 31, 2009, 07:18:02 pm
God dammit. I wish I had planned a Halloween costume. Earlier this year I was all "meh" but now I really wish I had put a little bit of thought into a costume. A few years ago I spent an entire day with a white sheet, colored felt, and posterboard, and managed to make a really cool Bishop costume.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on October 31, 2009, 07:54:10 pm
I'll have pics of me wearing it tomorrow, but for now here's (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4055062929/) a shot of it being made.  Here's (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4057749173/) another.



Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Choop on October 31, 2009, 08:47:17 pm
paul i can't wait to see it

i'm in full costume now and frankly i'm worried about when i'll have to piss. this thing doesn't have a fly
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: wombat on October 31, 2009, 09:18:33 pm
I am not dressing up, but I went to a Halloween thing at a medical museum, with an exhibit about plagues and infectious diseases. You can keep yer monsters and zombies, that is MUCH scarier. Also, real dead body parts on exhibit.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Doc on October 31, 2009, 10:39:33 pm
I played a man drinking with near strangers. This wouldn't be exceptional if it wasn't the first time in years my friends back home were having an awesome party. Still had a good time though.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Choop on October 31, 2009, 10:53:37 pm
(http://i37.tinypic.com/2ajdgrd.jpg)
(http://i33.tinypic.com/2nc1mid.jpg)
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: linnea on October 31, 2009, 11:52:20 pm
Paul & Choop, those are AWESOME pictures. Have fun!!

Ok, I dug out my scrubs, a swine flu mask, and some purple nitrile gloves, so I guess I'll go as a nurse. Not terribly exciting, but at least I'll have a costume. I had a stethoscope, but I don't know where it is, and I'm sure it'll just get lost anyway.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2009, 12:39:51 am
Count del Vaca (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/4059149739/)
Mrs. del Vaca (right) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/4059160197/)
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: sardoniclaconic on November 01, 2009, 12:45:05 am
I'm not dressing up this year, no one to do it with. If I did, my plan was to wear a pink jogging suit and go as Little Mac from "Punch-Out!!" for the NES (from the scene where he jogs through New York City with Doc). I was hoping to find someone with a bicycle to help me out.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: miles on November 01, 2009, 03:23:10 am
I'm watching the Oregon/USC game at my apartment alone because I'm awesome. No costume. I did have plans to see Dinosaur Jr. but when I showed up I was informed it was cancelled because the band got stuck in Colorado. Thanks, dickwads, for making me miss an Oregon touchdown and half of the 4th. An invitation to a party was extended but since I don't have a costume, won't I get pinched?
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2009, 05:11:32 am
i never knew of pinching (st. patrick's day = green or orange or pinch) as a haloween thing but i LOVE the idea
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 01, 2009, 07:12:00 am
i made a bandolier of old CDs (AOL software, NEXTSTEP, Microsoft Office 2000, etc.) and put on my eyepatch and a hook and bandanna and went as a software pirate
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: miles on November 01, 2009, 07:14:52 am
i never knew of pinching (st. patrick's day = green or orange or pinch) as a haloween thing but i LOVE the idea

I went, and no pinching was involved. But someone did make me wear a wig.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2009, 07:52:04 am
:(
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2009, 02:12:01 pm
Follow-on:  what's the best costume you saw yesterday, be it at a party or by trick-or-treaters at your house?

Kid down the street dressed up as the Geico stack-o-money with big eyeballs.  It was well done.  Also, one of my Facebook friends posted a picture of his daughter as Borat.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 01, 2009, 04:03:25 pm
Follow-on:  what's the best costume you saw yesterday, be it at a party or by trick-or-treaters at your house?

A (male) friend of mine shows up completely bare from the waist up. "What are you?" "I'm a premature ejaculation, 'cause I JUST CAME IN MY PANTS."
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: CortJstr on November 01, 2009, 04:34:05 pm
I saw 3 Carmen Sandiegos and a guy with a way too nice TIE Fighter pilot costme. I think my favorite was a guy dressed as a bearded lady and his girlfriend was a carnival barker.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: theinevitable on November 01, 2009, 06:50:47 pm
I was putting away groceries and heard screams from the girlfriend and roommate as some kid cam up to our hose dressed as the Zoltar machine from Big. They said it was AWESOME. got several trick or treaters without costumes requesting we put the candy in their bakpacks. Wack. 

my roommate and I found these matching shirts declaring us "best friend forever who have lunch and go shopping a lot". Very tight, with big bows at the neck.
Later I overheard the girl telling someone "Dan and I were going to dress up together, but he dressed up with his roommate instead..." to explain why she was not dressed up. A quick trip and then she was a cat(which is a pun on her first name, which is too unique to share on the Internet) and I added cat whiskers to my costume for some strange reason. 
The party we went to was way too crowded and stupid.   
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: smick on November 01, 2009, 06:57:16 pm
I mostly was working support, keeping stuff around the house going...

(http://raindog.net/photos/d/5740-2/smHalloween_2009_20052.JPG)
(http://raindog.net/photos/d/5737-2/smHalloween_2009_20046.JPG)
(http://raindog.net/photos/d/5707-2/smHalloween_2009_20003.JPG)
(http://raindog.net/photos/d/5710-2/smHalloween_2009_20005.JPG)
(http://raindog.net/photos/d/5716-2/smHalloween_2009_20009.JPG)

The fog machine outside managed to fill the house with fog.   So we watched The Mist.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2009, 07:22:49 pm
And I thought it was a big accomplishment to manage to get two pumpkins carved.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2009, 08:40:28 pm
I dressed as Apollo One (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4063125151/).
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: jay-ell on November 01, 2009, 08:51:56 pm
Pics will be on Facebook for those who know me there.

I dressed up Friday at the last minute- Pedro's office had a shindig and we decided at the last minute to go. He was a zombie attack victim (same clothes he wears every day, but torn and smeared with blood) and I pulled a dress out of my closet, curled my hair, and wore excessive makeup and went as a 1950s starlet. Lame, but free.

Every year, I want to dress as myself and pretend not to know anybody, and occasionally talk to an invisible person, and say "oh boy" a lot, and be Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap, but every year I know that nobody would get it. So it remains a fantasy, until I get geekier friends.

The kids were supposed to be Blue and Steve from Blue's Clues, but we went to Target early on Friday and Boy demanded an Elmo costume. They were marked down 30%, so I nabbed an Abby Caddaby one for Girlface and they wore those Friday. On Saturday, Boy wore his Steve costume with the Elmo vest/hood over it. So Steve dressed up as Elmo for Halloween. It was cute.

We also spray-painted our pumpkins - one red, one blue - and carved them to look like Elmo and Cookie Monster. Those were a hit with the trick-or-treaters.

Best costume? A 2-year-old dressed as a boxer. He was adorable - all that baby fat really sold the "beefcake" look.

Also, we had a very convincing Capt. Jack Sparrow, complete with faux-British accent, who was about 8 or 9. That kid's got a future in film.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 02, 2009, 12:03:41 am
so i guess those that dont know you on facebook are shucks outta luck.... :'(
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: jay-ell on November 02, 2009, 01:58:36 am
so i guess those that dont know you on facebook are shucks outta luck.... :'(

Pretty much. Sorry.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: Mr Trout on November 02, 2009, 03:39:26 am
I bar hopped around Station North in Baltimore. Great time, ran into tons of people I know, and managed not to get totally plastered which meant that today wasn't totally unproductive. I did have to do the walk-of-shame back to my apartment this morning though, in costume.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: lprkn on November 03, 2009, 05:58:07 am
Pugs in Halloween costumes (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/10/30/pugs-puppies-in-halloween-costumes/).
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 03, 2009, 05:54:43 pm
Pugs in Halloween costumes (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/10/30/pugs-puppies-in-halloween-costumes/).

the wonder woman pug looks like a really 'ruff' diana ross.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 03, 2009, 05:59:52 pm
the wonder woman pug looks like a really 'ruff' diana ross.
*snort*  Can.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: rowboat on November 04, 2009, 04:59:08 pm
My band played an original score to Murnau's Nosferatu at Vanderbilt University that night. The best effort I saw was definitely the film studies professor who introduced the film in a very well-made Count Orlok costume.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2009, 05:30:22 pm
My band played an original score to Murnau's Nosferatu at Vanderbilt University that night. The best effort I saw was definitely the film studies professor who introduced the film in a very well-made Count Orlok costume.

I have friends who did that.  Two Star Symphony (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/370480528/) they are called.  More recently they've done The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari.  I mostly know Kirk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/504792752/) the drummer.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: rowboat on November 04, 2009, 06:19:42 pm
I have friends who did that.  Two Star Symphony (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/370480528/) they are called.  More recently they've done The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari.  I mostly know Kirk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/504792752/) the drummer.
Very nice. Always good to meet fellow travelers. If they ever make it up St. Louis way, tell them to get in touch (http://www.theratsandpeople.com/mpo.html). Maybe we could do a thing.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: AugustWest on November 04, 2009, 06:45:02 pm
Very nice. Always good to meet fellow travelers. If they ever make it up St. Louis way, tell them to get in touch (http://www.theratsandpeople.com/mpo.html). Maybe we could do a thing.

Hey, another St Louisan.  I was just there last weekend.  What part of St Louis are you in?
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: side_show on November 04, 2009, 06:46:37 pm
I had a quiet night in on Halloween, watching a variety of horer movies, eating too much chocolate, and having fun meeting the neighbourhood kids.

In vaguely related news:  in the coolest way possible, this guy went as himself for Halloween. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dutchct/sets/72157622591528101/)
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: rowboat on November 04, 2009, 08:22:25 pm
Hey, another St Louisan.  I was just there last weekend.  What part of St Louis are you in?
Lived in Tower Grove South for the last ten years or so, recently relocated to Northampton for the (relative) peace.

You?
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: AugustWest on November 04, 2009, 09:13:36 pm
We live in Kentucky, but Mrs. West grew up in South County right off Tesson Ferry.  When we met we lived on Alfred right across from the Botanical Gardens.  Mrs. West's brother and his family live on Hartford, right near Grand.  Fun stuff.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: rowboat on November 04, 2009, 10:14:10 pm
Mrs. West's brother and his family live on Hartford, right near Grand.
My band practices on Wyoming. Your wife's family can probably hear us shouting as we drunkenly make our way back from Mangia at 3 o'clock on any given morning.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: theinevitable on November 05, 2009, 03:00:52 am
oh, I live in St Louis, too. I go to WashU. I live right on the border of UCity and St Louis proper. I am equidistant between the Skinker and Delmar Loop metro stops.

also: my friend says he has heard of you, and that his brother is friends with a member of your band. His brother is in the Hibernauts.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 05, 2009, 03:48:19 am
I'm sorry but it's not a costume-of-self without a plastic smock upon which there is a drawing of yourself saying "Trick or Treat".

We shall call this "The He-man Rule".
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2009, 05:57:44 am
Very nice. Always good to meet fellow travelers. If THEY ever make it up St. Louis way, tell them to get in touch (http://www.theratsandpeople.com/mpo.html). Maybe we could do a thing.

Well isn't that just fine, you invite my friends, but not me.  Total assetbar move dude.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 05, 2009, 06:11:15 am
Quote from: pmcd9
Total assetbar move dude.

Not canning this would be a total assetbar move.
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 05, 2009, 07:59:37 am
i think assetbars ears are ringing......
Title: Re: Halloween 2009
Post by: rowboat on November 05, 2009, 05:39:50 pm
oh, I live in St Louis, too. I go to WashU. I live right on the border of UCity and St Louis proper. I am equidistant between the Skinker and Delmar Loop metro stops.

also: my friend says he has heard of you, and that his brother is friends with a member of your band. His brother is in the Hibernauts.
Well, goddamn. Yeah, we know them from way back. Well, our violinist is really the one who your friend's brother knows, but our old band definitely played with them once or twice a few years back. Damned interesting.

Well isn't that just fine, you invite my friends, but not me.  Total assetbar move dude.
Oh, you know we always gettin' rude over at the 'Bar! I was just gonna laugh at them and throw rocks and sticks at their car once they got here anyway. That's how we assetbarbarians do it.