The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: dejavroom on November 23, 2009, 03:02:53 pm

Title: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on November 23, 2009, 03:02:53 pm
I'm floored by the storytelling and design of "Forming (http://jessemoynihan.com/)". Now I have a top 4.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: Doc on November 24, 2009, 11:54:14 am
(http://wingedvenus.squarespace.com/storage/sad-pug-doggy.jpg?)
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on November 24, 2009, 12:16:49 pm
Sorry, I don't talk pug. But hey, have an image too (Serapis, a character from "Forming"):

(http://22.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktm4ubPtoY1qzryvmo1_400.jpg)

I love this shit.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: Doc on November 24, 2009, 12:23:06 pm
That was my face around 'Musn't waste a single drop'.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on November 24, 2009, 12:27:40 pm
What can I say, It's a seminal work of art, my friend.

Also, I'd advise reading it from the start. The story is heavy on Gnostic notions (the battle of Michael with the Demiurge is a must-see. "Together we've birthed a Cosmic Order which almost makes sense!" gave me a metaphysical chortle. Those are hard to come by.), so the use of semen for its mystical connotations is actually pretty on the, uh, spot.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: wombat on November 24, 2009, 01:53:18 pm
What, is there supposed to be a pug in Doc's message? I can't see it.

edit: Huh, and now it's there. I wonder if this is related to the fact that half the time when I try to embed an image I can't get it to work, and there seems to be no difference between what I do when it works and when it doesn't.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: Doc on November 24, 2009, 02:01:14 pm
I can't see it now either... does the fact that you're a mod mean your perception determines all our realities?
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2009, 02:47:08 pm
(http://wingedvenus.squarespace.com/storage/sad-pug-doggy.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1216706855831)

The Pug Community frowns on your shenanigans.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on November 26, 2009, 11:01:41 am
Thursday, November 26, 2009 - Time to get your rape on. (http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=725)
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: R2DTrousers on November 26, 2009, 01:00:09 pm
The drawings in Forming are very inventive and interesting, and I like the conversational tone juxtaposed with the crazy subject matter. But... the storyline is utterly incomprehensible (to me)!
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on November 26, 2009, 02:09:38 pm
The drawings in Forming are very inventive and interesting, and I like the conversational tone juxtaposed with the crazy subject matter. But... the storyline is utterly incomprehensible (to me)!

Haha, yeah, there's that, yes.

I guess the best approach for it is to see it as a mashup/remix of the origin myths, with everybody being invited to the party. A metaphysical/mystical soap opera: Summerian gods, Greek gods, angels from the hebraic tradition, concepts from Gnosticism mixed with labor-class politics, plus plenty of intespecies shagging and some street-level cussing. What's not to love?

I can't even think about trying to put that in a coherent order, but I think that only a passing familiarity with certain concepts might be enough to sustain one's interest throughout the story. There's much symbolism for those who like hunting for clues, like the choice of colors (purple for Serapis, who's an hermaphrodite, for instance).

It might be a little too easy to call it all an exercise in "dream logic" and call it a day. I think there's more to it than that (although its dreamy quality is a major part of its appeal). I don't know, really - just like the "cosmic order which almost makes sense" (http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=452) that is the central point of the Gnostic tradition (in which this here our world is either a practical joke or a punishment created by a stupid deity), perhaps you have to have faith that it all will come out right in the end (or, failing that, at least try to get a few laughs on your way out...)?


(http://22.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktpzl1dfUj1qzryvmo1_250.jpg)
The creator of this world, pursuing the formula of the chewing gum that doesn't lose its flavor. Shit will go down.
Title: Re: Forming
Post by: dejavroom on December 09, 2009, 11:54:54 pm
POUNDPOUNDPOUND (http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=732)

Ahaha, I love it. I was thinking that maybe this strip would suffer from having to wait so much between installments, but judging from this last installment I have no reason to worry. It's being worth it.