The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

The Wide World of Webcomics => Daisy Owl => Topic started by: AugustWest on November 25, 2009, 06:56:01 pm

Title: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2009, 06:56:01 pm
Orson Scott Card.  Heh. (http://www.daisyowl.com/comic/2009-11-25)
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: jay-ell on November 25, 2009, 07:20:56 pm
I have a friend whose mom knows Orson Scott Card. They go to the same Mormon temple in Greensboro.

This was more interesting before Children of the Mind came out and I lost all respect for the man.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 25, 2009, 07:36:52 pm
I have a friend whose mom knows Orson Scott Card. They go to the same Mormon temple in Greensboro.

This was more interesting before Children of the Mind came out and I lost all respect for the man.

Hmmm...why is that?  I just discovered OSC about 6 months ago, and have read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Lost Boys, and his looooong collection of short stories, Maps in a Mirror.  I've loved them all.  What is different with Children of the Mind?
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Ben-San on November 25, 2009, 08:30:16 pm
I thought I liked OSC until I tried reading one of his non-Ender novels. It was a miserable slog about how after an apocalypse (not a religious one, a regular war-type one iirc) only the Mormons have the organization, drive, and moral virtue to rebuild society and all you heathens are gon' get it.

While I did not much like this Achewood (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008) I can, partly as a result of this experience, sympathize with the message not to declare yourself a fan of some creator before sampling their lesser works.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 25, 2009, 09:44:27 pm
I did not much like this Achewood (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008)

what
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Ben-San on November 25, 2009, 09:59:45 pm
what

The fundamental premise is fine but most of the humor derives from Onstad's hyperbolic ramble through multiple mouthpieces about how much he dislikes the Grateful Dead. As I have no strong feelings about the Grateful Dead, this falls flat for me.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 26, 2009, 12:01:47 am
I couldn't care less about the Grateful Dead either, but I can still appreciate a good hyperbolic ramble when I read one.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2009, 01:03:49 am
Yeah that comic is genius.  "These dudes were so stoned they had two drummers at the same time and didn't even notice."
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: AugustWest on November 26, 2009, 03:14:07 am
While I did not much like this Achewood (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008)

Oddly enough, that one is not my favorite either.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 26, 2009, 03:46:41 am
Are you guys skipping the fourth panel whenever you read it? That might help to solve this mystery.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: lprkn on November 26, 2009, 04:29:32 am
I am conflicted about OSC. I really like some of his work(Ender, Enchanted, Alvin Maker), but then I go to his website and read things about how the Gays Are Bad, mmmkay, and I wonder if buying his books is helping him to spread things that I really Don't Agree With At All.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2009, 05:20:27 am
Oddly enough, that one is not my favorite either.

I quite like the Grateful Dead and I love this strip.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Ben-San on November 26, 2009, 10:51:11 pm
Are you guys skipping the fourth panel whenever you read it? That might help to solve this mystery.

Wow! All this time I never bothered reading the fourth panel! Ha! Ha! This is truly the ultimate in hilarity!

What's that, my friend? You say that this beer is supposed to taste like that? Amazing! Suddenly I like it! It had never occurred to me!

Next someone will tell me that Christians have already figured out who the Messiah was, and that it was Jesus all along! For surely if I had but known that, I would have slapped my head and converted already!

Edit: The last one probably doesn't make intuitive sense to anyone who isn't a Jew that gets evangelized at. Christian evangelists sort of assume that if a Jew isn't malicious, the reason he hasn't converted must be because nobody told him that the Messiah already came back. This sort of "if you don't agree with me, it must be because you haven't heard my opinion yet" bullshit is very tiresome.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2009, 11:54:25 pm
I've never understood why you have any cans.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 27, 2009, 12:01:33 am
Wow! All this time I never bothered reading the fourth panel! Ha! Ha! This is truly the ultimate in hilarity!

Told you so.

I'm here to help!
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 27, 2009, 04:19:13 am
I've never understood why you have any cans.

whoa!
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 27, 2009, 04:51:39 am
I've never understood why you have any cans.

No, see, he's supposed to taste react like that.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 27, 2009, 05:12:09 am
I think he is talking about ben maybe? 

See, ben is a guy who has absolutely no ability to laugh at himself or anything he, or anyone he knows, has ever been associated with.

He is a prick, basically.


Ben likes to act like if you don't agree with him you either want to kill him or you haven't heard his opinion yet.  Very tiresome.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: theinevitable on November 27, 2009, 05:30:52 am
yes, what keith said. that is what I meant.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 27, 2009, 07:03:37 am
wait, there was no confusion about that.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Choop on November 27, 2009, 02:10:42 pm
your favorite board member sucks
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Ben-San on November 28, 2009, 09:32:58 am
Now I don't know if I'm being a dick or if people are being sarcastic about me being a dick. I mentioned a strip I didn't like in the context of the note that it did hit right with me, people acted awed and amazed that I didn't like that strip, it reminded me of a particular brand of bullshit I have to deal with. I am not trying to be a dick, but of course people who act like a dick rarely are trying.

Edit #1: To clarify regarding the "particular brand of bullshit": I have recently been dealing with the kind of bullshit evangelical Christians I mentioned earlier, so my tolerance for that particular angle had run especially low, even if it was coming in on another subject. In retrospect, that post was an overreaction from any perspective other than someone who's been dealing with bullshit evangelicals taking that line.

Edit #2: Further consideration of the matter of my behavior in case anyone gives a shit. I have the depression pretty bad, which is why I don't post often. As a result it is more likely that negative emotions will spur me to post (anger, outrage) than that positive ones will (hey, I bet I have something to say that people want to hear.) It's not so much that I hate everything and everyone, but rather that if I like a line of discussion I'm less likely to try to post in it due to this. Not that this excuses actual dick behavior if I am being a dick, but it may explain it at least.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: Chump Change on November 28, 2009, 10:32:11 am
+1 cans for being honest and meeting the point head on, -1 cans because aesthetic appreciation and religious fervor are not the same.

I feel like you did kind of overreact there, but it turns out that maybe people really are out to get you? But probably not, so everyone can calm down. While you might not enjoy the exact same things that I enjoy I will see you in hell  we all have to live with the choices we make  it won't matter in 2012  I'll find a way to make do.
Title: Re: November 25, 2009 -- Sci-fi
Post by: wombat on November 28, 2009, 02:00:07 pm
Guys, please take the personal attacks to one of the ten billion other places on the Internet that are suitable for that kind of shit. I'm sure there are some of us who are less than fascinated to read yet another post about drugs or college life from certain posters in this thread. But the reason this place remains civil is that we just skip over it and keep that opinion to ourselves.