The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: wombat on November 26, 2009, 01:31:51 am

Title: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: wombat on November 26, 2009, 01:31:51 am
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comics-of-the-00s,35713/1/ (http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comics-of-the-00s,35713/1/)

They've got Achewood and one other book that I own, so there is clearly some small overlap between their taste and mine, but otherwise I don't feel compelled to read anything else on this list. What am I missing out on?
Title: Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2009, 03:05:24 am
Eightball #23 is fantastic.  Although #22 is even better.  I don't own the collection, but 100 Demons is fantastic.  I read it on Slate.  I don't have the Peanuts collection, but I can't imagine it would be anything other than awesome!  And the rest of the reprints from earlier times are all pretty damn great too.  Damn that's a big part of their list, stuff from way way back.
Title: Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: lprkn on November 26, 2009, 04:38:49 am
Thes lists are bad. These lists make me want to spend money on comics that I need to spend on more important stuff, like food.

That being said, the list looks pretty solid. I would have liked to have seen something on there by Warren Ellis, and maybe some more superhero-y stuff (Invincible, hello?) but all in all: solid.
Title: Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2009, 05:25:40 am
That being said, the list looks pretty solid. I would have liked to have seen something on there by Warren Ellis, and maybe some more superhero-y stuff (Invincible, hello?) but all in all: solid.

Well yeah, it's gonna be solid if it includes anthology of some of the best of the entire last century.  I'm not knocking the list per se, but it's a bit specious is all.  Sure, Peanuts is awesome, but it's not really from the last decade.
Title: Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: dejavroom on November 26, 2009, 10:46:59 am
"Blankets" was a very nice read, despite my distaste for magical realism.
Title: Re: Onion AV Club best comics list
Post by: lprkn on November 27, 2009, 05:51:40 pm
Paste Magazine did a list, too. I think I like it better.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-20-best-graphic-novels-of-the-decade.html (http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-20-best-graphic-novels-of-the-decade.html)