The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on November 26, 2009, 09:00:01 am

Title: port forwarding
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2009, 09:00:01 am
so, I am at my wit's end. I am attempting to open a port to use for uTorrent. Everything I try fails. I even turned off my firewall, and it still said the port was closed. What the heck?

I found a thing that explained how to open ports on windows firewall, but the instructions told me to click on things that were not there. So then I disabled Windows Firewall, in addition to McAfee firewall... still no connection.

What I really don't get is that uTorrent has never had this problem before, it worked for years with no hiccups. Ever since I started using a new site to get torrents, uTorrent has been saying the ports are all closed. What gives?
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: slink on November 26, 2009, 04:12:32 pm
I assume  (as most tend to) your router/cable modem has a firewall built in. You'd need to log into that (most likely 192.168.0.1 in a browser depending on make, though could be 192.168.1.256 I think it tends to be for LinkSys) and find firewall settings or services options in there.
If you let us know what make of router or modem I can have a further look around, but I'm guessing it'll be that if nothing else appears to be getting in the way.

Also, did you kill windows firewall in services.msc, or just by asking it to go away in the system tray? 'Cause that tends not to actually do anything.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2009, 07:17:20 pm
it's a Linksys. When I type in either of those IP addresses chrome thinks I am doing a google search... regardless I should probably wait until I'm back and school, instead of screwing with my parent's router.

thanks!
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Choop on November 27, 2009, 02:21:48 am
what's the model number?
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: CortJstr on November 27, 2009, 04:06:47 am
it's a Linksys. When I type in either of those IP addresses chrome thinks I am doing a google search... regardless I should probably wait until I'm back and school, instead of screwing with my parent's router.

thanks!

My two Linksys routers both use 192.168.1.1
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2009, 03:46:57 am
My linksys router wants a hardwired connection (ethernet cable) between the computer and the router if you want to monkey with its settings.  Security measure.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: theinevitable on November 30, 2009, 06:10:37 am
I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is.

At the end of this semester we're going to tell them we dont' want to split internet anymore, and get our own. An already-slow connection split 4 ways is just not cutting it at all.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 30, 2009, 06:21:47 am
I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is.
Try Admin/Admin or Admin/password. Thats the default for verizon routers.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Choop on November 30, 2009, 04:12:14 pm
Quote from: first google result for "linksys default password"
On older LinkSys routers, the default username is blank and the default password is "admin." On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin." * (http://www.tech-faq.com/forgot-linksys-router-password.shtml)
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: lprkn on November 30, 2009, 06:49:37 pm
I got in using 192.168.1.1, but now it's asking for a username and password. The girl downstairs set it up, so god only knows what it is

Chances are it's the default. Most people just set up their wireless security, and stop there.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: lprkn on November 30, 2009, 09:01:51 pm
That's when you change his network's name.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 30, 2009, 09:06:10 pm
That's when you change his network's name.
to "We can hear you having sex." Also "TRASH CANS: STILL IN STREET WTF"
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2009, 07:43:02 pm
it is not the default. so it's probably something bizarre/they don't know what it is.
i look forwards to having my own internet setup. although, the reason we are using their shitty old linksys router is that my brand-new apple AirPort "broke" and "just stopped working" so they swapped theirs in. I look forwards to getting it back from them and realizing that... no, it is not broken.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: wombat on December 07, 2009, 02:39:02 am
No, no, don't let your neighbor know that everyone can get on his wireless! The world needs those people. I use my neighbor's all the time when our service goes down. And I hate visiting my sister because she doesn't have wireless and all her neighbors have protected theirs. Every neighborhood needs someone who doesn't know enough to do that. It's worth a few trash cans in the street.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: jaydub on December 07, 2009, 05:09:23 pm
Careful conservation of wild open wireless is called for in these situations.  You might consider tagging the utility pole near their house with the appropriate war-chalking symbol. 
(http://www.guide-to-symbols.com/_images_pub2/warchalking.png)
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2009, 01:27:13 am
I know better, but leave mine open anyway.

What is the downside by the way?
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Choop on December 08, 2009, 01:41:29 am
a hacker could hijack your tubes and the feds could pin his or her misdeeds on you
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2009, 03:09:07 am
Or a blowjob with some basic apps could intercept all of your traffic and rob you blind.
They actually caught some kid doing this on COPS once, he was just sitting in his car in front of an apartment building with a laptop and a notebook full of credit card numbers and logins.
Encrypt your connection and lock that shit up.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 08, 2009, 03:40:29 am
My router often reboots itself and reverts to default (open) settings. Blah.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2009, 03:43:13 am
I leave mine wide open, but nobody lives within 1/2 mile of me.  And if some dude was sitting in my driveway with a laptop I might get a little suspicious.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 08, 2009, 04:24:27 am
I have been waiting for an "any port in a storm" joke and it has not come yet.

So I'll just mention the notion here, negating its possibility and end the wait.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2009, 03:06:32 pm
speaking of intranetz geekery, as we speak, im using my cell phone(samsung a877/impression) as a wireless modem for my laptop, using AT&Ts 3G network.
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2009, 04:06:31 pm
speaking of intranetz geekery, as we speak, im using my cell phone(samsung a877/impression) as a wireless modem for my laptop, using AT&Ts 3G network.

How does that work?  Do you plug the phone into the laptop or what?
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: Choop on December 08, 2009, 04:18:28 pm
nah nah you plug the LAPTOP into the PHONE
Title: Re: port forwarding
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2009, 05:05:12 pm
How does that work?  Do you plug the phone into the laptop or what?

the literature that came with it mentioned that its made to be used thusly and they included the drivers and software, as well as the compy cable.  yeah, dude, i just plug the phone into a USB port with the cable.

i wasnt sure how it was supposed to work, so i looked online and found a message board where people share hacks/tips/tricks for this model (there are some 1337 f0n3 haxorz out there, let me tell you.).  luckily, there was a thread where someone posted instructions.

i had to create a new internet connection(dial up.  weird, huh?) and type the number that the dude gave in his instructions.  when the applet popped up to enter a user name and password, i just clocked on "connect", and it bypassed that whole deal.