The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: TedStriker on December 01, 2009, 02:07:05 pm

Title: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: TedStriker on December 01, 2009, 02:07:05 pm
Clerk all KNOWIN' (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12012009)

And the eventual (inevitable?) march toward parenthood continues...
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: wombat on December 01, 2009, 02:21:01 pm
Is this going to become a comic about a baby... cat?

I think I am OK with that. I have faith.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 01, 2009, 02:45:51 pm
Are cat condoms reinforced, on account of the barbs?

And are the condoms themselves barbed, for her displeasure?
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: AugustWest on December 01, 2009, 03:00:57 pm
Weak sauce from a recycled premise.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: dejavroom on December 01, 2009, 03:13:43 pm
I have faith.

Maybe the '65 Ford Galaxie will end up peeling out the baby's head skin. I can hold out for that.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2009, 03:29:40 pm
I hear condoms are the ideal storage container for leftover risotto.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2009, 07:32:43 pm
I doubt you read that in "Kitchen Tips from Heloise".
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 01, 2009, 08:27:22 pm
Maybe the '65 Ford Galaxie will end up peeling out the baby's head skin. I can hold out for that.

the hell?
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Choop on December 01, 2009, 09:02:45 pm
three words:

Cartilage Head Junior
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: TedStriker on December 01, 2009, 09:07:43 pm
Maybe the '65 Ford Galaxie will end up peeling out the baby's head skin. I can hold out for that.

I don't think Todd's going to have any progeny anytime soon.

Thing is, Beef's going to make a "good" dad in the same way that he's a "good" husband; he's still from Circumstances and that still casts a shadow, but when the chips are down, he does the right thing.

Besides, Molly's baby shower could be an epic time for Showbiz to resurface.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jacques_schitt on December 01, 2009, 09:29:26 pm
I hear condoms are the ideal storage container for leftover risotto.

Is THAT what they're calling it now?

Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jacques_schitt on December 01, 2009, 09:44:49 pm
Beef has had Shopping Problems before... (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10302007)
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Chump Change on December 01, 2009, 10:05:13 pm
At least he got into the store. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007)
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: rowboat on December 01, 2009, 11:30:32 pm
Tend to agree, but...

I like when dude does funky product designs. Except these seem a little on the 'obvious' side.

I also think it's not bad that dude is going to try going shorter, more frequent bursts. Seems like the long panel count stuff hasn't been all that swell for a while and breaking form might give a new whiff to things.

Maybe allow some new bacteria to cultivate in the achewood inspiration petri dish, like.
What he said. So much so that I won't say anything more on it.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: oball on December 02, 2009, 01:01:01 am
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help but feel that "posting short pieces more often than large pieces less often" is going to turn into "posting short pieces less often".
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: dejavroom on December 02, 2009, 11:22:11 am
Maybe the '65 Ford Galaxie will end up peeling out the baby's head skin. I can hold out for that.
the hell?

What, you've never seen "Peel-out Summer"? It's a classic! (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uuadXFb49)

Also, what Ash said. Achewood used to have amazing three-panel strips back in the day, which could beat the heck out of long arcs such as the karma wheel.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: robot_god on December 02, 2009, 10:30:49 pm
Beef shouldn't be getting flustered by this choice; he should just pick the geometry ones and that's that.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2009, 11:21:37 pm
condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 03, 2009, 12:06:28 am
condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.
The health office at school used to have no name red condoms from china. And no one ever used them.
Then they filled the basket with those Trojan magnum condoms with the gold foil wrappers. Couldnt keep 'em in stock.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 03, 2009, 05:12:40 am
condom purchasing is I think the one time in my life where I said, "which one have I seen the most ads for? which ones do my friends use?" very openly without any shame or second thoughts.

Why do you know which brand of condoms your friends use?  I don't know which brands of tampons my friends use. Just wonderin'.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 03, 2009, 05:15:08 am
Why do you know which brand of condoms your friends use? 
Everyone wore their Lisa Left-Eye Lopes costume to the WUSTL Halloween party last year.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2009, 05:15:37 am
I guess mostly that my roommate used to have a box of condoms sitting on top of his dresser. After a full year I convinced him that this scares girls away.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 03, 2009, 06:34:54 am
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help but feel that "posting short pieces more often than large pieces less often" is going to turn into "posting short pieces less often".

If Onstad views the strip simply as a cash-cow, like Scott Adams views Dilbert, then this view is accurate. If,however, he views it as a creative endeavour of art, that won't be the case, because when inspiration strikes, it will come out on its own schedule and the precise size it needs to be.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jay-ell on December 03, 2009, 02:50:12 pm
If Onstad views the strip simply as a cash-cow, like Scott Adams views Dilbert, then this view is accurate. If,however, he views it as a creative endeavour of art, that won't be the case, because when inspiration strikes, it will come out on its own schedule and the precise size it needs to be.

As a person who makes Creative for a living, I can assure you that Onstad gave up the right to treat the strip like Art when he quit his day job.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2009, 04:01:38 pm
Regarding knowing what kind of condoms your friends use, I have probably told this story before, but I'll tell it again because it's funny.

Some years ago, I had just broken up with my girlfriend, and was about to go off for a weekend at the beach to a big house full of people and beer.  Ostensibly, there was the possibility of drunken hook-ups.  So my roommate, in an effort to cheer me up, said, "Here, take some of these, you'll need them," and handed me some condoms.

"Dude... these say Extra-Large on them."

"Why yes," he smiled.  "I find they work quite well."

"OK, great.  I'm sure... they'll be fine.  Thanks."
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2009, 08:08:29 pm
As a person who makes Creative for a living, I can assure you that Onstad gave up the right to treat the strip like Art when he quit his day job.
What was his day job, when he had one?
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2009, 09:54:59 pm
Well, he did make it into a decision with a lot more consequences, regarding like, food on the table and such, but I suppose a person still has the right to raise a family on ramen noodles.

Wasn't he a graphic designer? It was something in the Silicon Valley boom.

Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 01:16:20 am
I think he was a guy who chooses fonts for a living.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: rowboat on December 04, 2009, 06:22:52 am
What was his day job, when he had one?
I always assumed (perhaps naively) that he had been a usability engineer (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11272001).
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2009, 06:36:17 am
Quality pull, Rowboat.
Title: Re: December 1, 2009: The Golden Mallet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 13, 2009, 03:25:48 pm
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help but feel that "posting short pieces more often than large pieces less often" is going to turn into "posting short pieces less often".

Prescience!