The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2009, 07:39:36 pm

Title: Storytelling
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2009, 07:39:36 pm
Evidently storytelling has become some kind of performance art thing people are doing now. I went to this thing in nyc and there were otherwise normal people who got up and just told the best (ostensibly true) story they could think of given the vague topic. I don't know how long this has been a thing people do, but there are plenty of youtube results for "storyslams" or whatever. Example: This guy won one for his story about a pregnancy scare.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5F7hCuQHAQ) Most of them are funny, but some of them are just emotional like one I heard from a woman who was in an abusive relationship.
Anyone else been to one of these things?
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: jay-ell on December 01, 2009, 07:48:08 pm
That strikes me as basically a standup routine with a very narrow theme and no segueways.

That's not what "storytelling" means to me.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2009, 07:53:46 pm
What would happen if you stood up and told the story of Perseus and Medusa, all acting out the part with the witches sharing an eyeball and creeping around backwards holding an imaginary shield?
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2009, 08:09:18 pm
Anyone else been to one of these things?

I haven't been to "one of those things," but we often have "artcar storytime" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3200656882/) when we all get together as friends for a dinner or something.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 01, 2009, 08:26:20 pm
ive seen one of henry rollins' live DVDs.  the conversation pit was not that super.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2009, 08:41:46 pm
It sounds awfully pretentious.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 01, 2009, 08:52:22 pm
They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328
Quote
Act Two. It Was a Dark and Smoky Night.

Jenifer Hixson tells the story of walking alone at night, and meeting a woman who was out for the very same reason. Jenifer performed the story live in front of an audience at the storytelling series The Moth. (9 1/2 minutes)

I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2009, 08:52:48 pm
It sounds awfully pretentious.
Eh. I guess maybe. Its just people telling stories, its not like they have anything substantial to gain and I didnt feel like they were the kind of people who scream for attention, which is exactly what i feel like from most performers.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2009, 08:54:18 pm
They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
We were listening to NPR at the same exact time (I was driving back from DC Sunday)? That's the abusive relationship story I mentioned earlier. I couldnt find it online.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: lprkn on December 01, 2009, 10:56:02 pm
Most of the storytelling stuff on NPR comes from a non-profit called The Moth (http://www.themoth.org/). I subscribe to their podcast, it's usually interesting.
Title: Re: Storytelling
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 02, 2009, 12:57:35 pm
They play stuff from these on various NPR shows. I typically enjoy them. This one was on the other day:
http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1328I also liked the Harlem Cowboy story I heard on The Moth radio hour a while back:
http://www.themoth.org/listen
Just listened again on the way to work. Man that was a good story. Can't not have a cigarette though.
(Also the chicfilA chick is adorable.)