The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: TedStriker on December 03, 2009, 02:06:18 pm

Title: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: TedStriker on December 03, 2009, 02:06:18 pm
Buying condoms makes you think about Circumstances (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12032009)

Also, did Beef just discard the condoms after he bought them?  The last panel is a little fuzzy.

Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2009, 02:16:27 pm
Such profound observations to come out a buying a box of condoms. Which maybe are the most life-affirming thing he will see all day.

There are a dozen thread titles and/or phrases that deserve a long life in this:

Daikon club.
Scream out from a pile of sundries like a mandrake root
Everything short of a shotgun in the mouth.
Etc.



You know, it is really OK with me if he only posts every couple of weeks if it's this good. I mean, my favorite writers only come out with a new book once a year, and I have to pay for that.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: jay-ell on December 03, 2009, 02:42:42 pm
Did beef/Onstad just make a Harry Potter reference?
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2009, 03:02:42 pm
Yeah, I have no idea what's going on the last panel.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: jay-ell on December 03, 2009, 03:04:20 pm
I think it's mouth-steam, to indicate that it is cold outside.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2009, 08:45:59 pm
Where is there a Harry Potter reference in this?
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: milhouse on December 03, 2009, 09:10:40 pm
Where is there a Harry Potter reference in this?
Cut from wiki-
In J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the mandrake root is cultivated by Professor Sprout to cure the petrification of several characters who had looked indirectly into the eyes of the Basilisk; the author makes use of the legend of the mandrake's scream (see above), and anyone tending mandrakes wears earmuffs to dull the sound of the scream, if the plant must be transplanted.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2009, 09:17:07 pm
The idea that a mandrake root screams when you pull it up pre-dates Harry Potter, I think.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2009, 09:40:25 pm
I have never been so surprised at anything on this board. This is usually a group of people who are familiar with a wide range of obscure information. The screaming mandrake root WAY predates Harry Potter. Like centuries if not millenia.

Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 03, 2009, 11:01:48 pm
I do like how his imaginary conversations are exactly like the conversations with townspeople in Zelda 2.

"I am Error."

"In what sense? Like, are you an error in the programming or in the sense that your life has Not Worked Out?"

"I am Error."

"Ahhhhhhhhh, in a larger philosophical sense, being a part of the human race is being part of an error..."

"I am Error."
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: rowboat on December 03, 2009, 11:14:37 pm
Also, did Beef just discard the condoms after he bought them?
Echoing several others, I think it's just his breath in the cold Achewood night. I kind of wish he was tossing them away in disgust, though. I think that would've been an interesting ending.

By the way, I have heartily fived* every single comic since the end of the Korean magical realism arc. Just like last year, Onstad seems to have saved his best for last.

* - Over on assetbar, to rate a strip a "five" is to like it as much as you possibly can like it.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2009, 11:53:33 pm
And I thought y'all were referring to the Diakon Club because that the super secret street in the Harry Potter world, but no, that's actually Diagon Alley.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2009, 12:08:19 am
You just skim my posts, don't you?

I read your post but I had no idea what you were referring to till milhouse's post, because I saw no Harry Potter reference in the strip. There is zero association in my mind between mandrake roots and Harry Potter.  It's no more likely than if the strip referred to, I don't know, train stations, that my mind would immediately leap to Harry Potter.

I mean, I was pretty sure you weren't talking about condoms, but otherwise I had no clue.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2009, 12:12:21 am
Diagon Alley.

I actually did a facepalm with that clicked with me.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 12:32:03 am
Yeah, I guess I'm not up on my mythical roots and herbs, because HP is the first place I ever heard of mandrake root.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: linnea on December 04, 2009, 02:27:42 am
Maybe that's how Beef's brain works. Once he realizes that the clerk has already seen the entire Circle of Life, maybe that is the thing that gets his brain to click over and say, "What the hell, maybe me and Molly should just go ahead and have kids."

I'd be willing to wager that it was probably a subconscious kid-wanting thing that led Molly to forget to refill her birth control pills. I mean, shit. I always, always keep at least three months supply of those things on deck.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2009, 02:51:24 am
Yeah, I guess I'm not up on my mythical roots and herbs, because HP is the first place I ever heard of mandrake root.

With a degree in history no less. Oh these kids today. My stars and garters.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2009, 02:58:12 am
Get with child a mandrake root.


Isn't that it?
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2009, 03:07:40 am
a used-up premise, but the dialogue is stellar as usual.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2009, 03:08:52 am
also, there was a mandrake root in 'el labarinto del fauno'.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2009, 12:42:44 pm
Get with child a mandrake root.


Isn't that it?

Yeah, same one.

You know they are phallic-shaped, right, and - oh, go read the Wikipedia entry. Really, no one has to type anything anymore, all you have to do is link to Wikipedia.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 01:29:15 pm
With a degree in history no less. Oh these kids today. My stars and garters.

History is a big place, and IIRC, mandrake root didn't play an integral role in mid-20th century women's labor history.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: CortJstr on December 04, 2009, 02:11:47 pm
History is a big place, and IIRC, mandrake root didn't play an integral role in mid-20th century women's labor history.

Now who's being naive?
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2009, 06:14:44 pm
History is a big place, and IIRC, mandrake root didn't play an integral role in mid-20th century women's labor history.

Maybe those ladies should've stayed home with a mandrake root where they belonged.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2009, 07:25:08 pm
When they say its shaped like a man, they don't mean it has little arms and legs...
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2009, 08:08:14 pm
When they say its shaped like a man, they don't mean it has little arms and legs...

Actually, I think that's exactly what they mean.

the roots sometimes contain bifurcations causing them to resemble human figures, ...from Wikipedia

It grows from a thick forked root which is known for sometimes resembling a human form. ...from Erowid

The lore surrounding the plant stems (pun intended) from the roots, which eerily resemble the human forms of both men and women. ... from some other dang webpage.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: robot_god on December 06, 2009, 01:51:13 am
What was that fantasy movie... by Guiermo Del Toro... ummm, Pan's Labyrinth, that had an awfully depictive scene of an anthropomorphic mandrake root.  I got to see that again, I got the DVD unopened.
Title: Re: December 3rd, 2009: Single Use Enemas and Grandpa Wipes
Post by: lprkn on December 06, 2009, 02:17:54 am
also, there was a mandrake root in 'el labarinto del fauno'.

Yeah, that was the first time I had heard of the ol' mandrake root, too. Of course as soon as the movie was over I googled the shit out of it.


Google