The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: rowboat on December 04, 2009, 03:56:35 pm
-
Heard last night that Zooey Deschanel is slated to portray Janis Joplin in an upcoming biopic. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a completely insane casting decision? For one thing, Deshanel is hot. Janis Joplin....well, I hear that she had an "inner beauty." Also, I can't think of two less compatible voices. Joplin had the otherworldly whiskey growl. Deschanel sounds like a penis. I mean, I enjoyed the She & Him album and I realize that for a hipster she has an amount of soul. But that's gonna be stretch.
Anyway, whether or not the film is any good (and really, when are these kinds of films ever good?), if she even comes close to pulling it off my hat's off to her.
In addition to my pants.
-
I think this film, like the 3 Star Wars "prequels" and the second and third Matrix movies, will be added to my list of movies I'm going to pretend don't exist.
-
the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS
-
I thought that movie was about Jackie Jormp-Jomp.
-
I wonder if I was getting some cosmic vibes over this. I had a very strong urge to listen to Janis Joplin yesterday evening. I listened to all of my favorite songs for about 2 hours.
I googled Zooey Deschanel, she is hot although she has a freakishly large head, but in my opinion Janis Joplin was pretty damn hot too. Maybe you're put off by the clothes she wore or her big ass frizzy head of hair.
And it's funny you should mention Deschanel's small squeaky voice. One of my favorite bits of Janis Joplin is the very beginning of her live album. She steps up to the mic and says something to one of her bandmates in her normal voice and it's just this tiny voice. And then she launches into Down on Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32h3fmG3q2g) and it's this huge lions roar.
Anyway, haven't they already made a Janis Joplin Biopic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079826/).
-
the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS
Those bastards.
-
the real kicker is that it torpedoes the shinehart universal janis joplin pic starring jenna maroney from TGS
Exactly. But wasnt it like Yanis Yoplin or something?
-
I wonder if I was getting some cosmic vibes over this. I had a very strong urge to listen to Janis Joplin yesterday evening. I listened to all of my favorite songs for about 2 hours.
It must be synchronicity. I was watching the Biography on Janis last night. Then it got too sad and I had to turn it off.
-
....in my opinion Janis Joplin was pretty damn hot too. Maybe you're put off by the clothes she wore or her big ass frizzy head of hair.
Anyway, haven't they already made a Janis Joplin Biopic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079826/).
It's kinda personal, actually. She's a dead ringer for an aunt of mine and that's a pretty huge and immediate turnoff. Though, if she was good enough for Mr. Cohen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDb1mZxQRk), who am I to talk shit?
I always saw The Rose on the shelf at the library but never knew it was a Joplin biopic. Midler seems like a much better casting choice. Might have to check it out sometime.
I'm OK with this one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358273/)
I'll grant you that it was above average, as was The Buddy Holly Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077280/) (the common thread I suppose being that both lead men did all their own vocals and did them damn well). But "average" for these types of movies is so low that that isn't really saying a whole lot.
-
I always saw The Rose on the shelf at the library but never knew it was a Joplin biopic. Midler seems like a much better casting choice. Might have to check it out sometime.
It's a fictionalized biopic.
-
I'm sorry, but Janis was hot naked (http://www.bobseidemann.com/images/janis_joplin_nude02.jpg) (NSFW).
And also, make-up and vocal training are both easy tools of the film makers trade, so I see no problem here.
-
no need to be sorry about that, sideshow.
-
Yeah, I'd say that though Joplin was by no means a conventionally pretty woman or anything, there was something sexy about her in a gritty instinctive kind of way.
An animal grace, maybe.
Whereas Zooey is almost the exact opposite, so pretty and petite and doll-like that she's almost not sexy at all, she's so childlike and fragile and insubstancial that you almost can't imagine having sex with her. Like if you were able to talk her size-zero hipster jeans off, all you'd find is blank peach-coloured plastic and a sticker that says "Mattel" down there.
In opposition to Janis Joplin where, like, she didn't exactly have a face for nail-polish ads, if you got those jeans off, there would definitely be a super-rocking hippie bush and a pu$$y that knew some AWESOME tricks.
-
ok lfm i have no idea what's wrong with you but zooey? totally effable. totally, insanely, trilliany effable.
-
I would eff Zooey. I would eff Janis. Both have an essential brokenness about them that is attractive in it's way. Plus because I associate with her mother having been in Twin Peaks, I imagine she's got some understanding of the dark and twisty things too.
-
I'm not saying she isn't pretty as hell. She certainly is. But I dunno. Pretty as hell isn't as interesting to me, sexually, if that's all a girl has going for her. Some quirks for character and a real physical sensuality draw me in a lot more.
I mean, I'm also 6'6 and 300+ pounds, remember. The waif thing always kind of freaked me out on a weird sort of "Lenny in Of Mice and Men" kind of level, you know? It is off-putting to me when I think through the fact that, like, if I were to actually have physical intimacy with that very tiny woman, things Might Not Go Well and maybe that colours my ability to have a fantasy about that kind of girl.
My whole life, the girls I've dated and the girls I've had intense attractions to have mostly been either a little heavier than "standard" or tall (I have a real Thing for tall women) or really strong physically or stuff, I think I've internalized that fear, maybe. Hell, to think of it, the one woman who was waigiraffe in every other way that I've at one point fixated on in my life, even she was plump in the rump and wide in the hips, despite being willowy and skinny and short in all the other ways.
Or, I dunno, maybe I'm just Descending Toward Age, and my value on a Picture Perfect woman is kind of low in relation to women who just kind of exude raw sexuality and seem like they aren't so dainty that they would definitely come with all the insane demands of being dainty. Maybe I look at a Zooey type and realize that actually interacting with Traditionally Super Pretty women is basically a trip down the long stairs to hell and that spending time with a slightly-trashy earth-momma who could drink me under the table like Joplin would be a lot more interesting way to spend that time.
-
Until you found her dead in a puddle of foamy vomit anyway.
-
I'm sorry, but Janis was hot naked (http://www.bobseidemann.com/images/janis_joplin_nude02.jpg).
Agreed!
Oh no......the word...it's rising in my chest.....finding its way to my fingers......I hate it but I...just...can't...stop...it.....
TOTAL BUTTERFACE, BRAH ahahahaha!!!!1!!!
[Sorry mom. Sorry Jesus. You must know how very sorry I am....]
-
Well, yeah.
But at thirty and having lived a good chunk of my life, dealing with someone who might turn up in a puddle of chunky puke, man, that pitfall sounds so much more doable than someone who would ask me to, like, take care of her yappy little dog and I'd have to get fuck*ng pedicures and my eyebrows waxed and stand around at parties full of rich assholes for and have to buy a house that would doom me to work the rest of my life very very hard to keep up with the payments and all that crap...
Just a Crazy Lady who might O.D. or leave me for a biker or a lady biker in the night and set fire to my stuff... that sounds so much more viable than the kind of girl you'd have to be a Kendoll for and live a Supermarket Life for and all that.
I guess there's just types of madness I could abide and types I couldn't.
-
Some quirks for character and a real physical sensuality draw me in a lot more...I'm also 6'6 and 300+ pounds, remember...
And an insane-genius-level writer to boot. Would you marry me?
-
i heard talk a year or two ago that said Pink was gonna play her...
-
See, that makes more sense, even though Pink is not my cup of tea.
-
Zooey Deschanel is the prettiest, she is the actress my sister thinks my girlfriend looks like.
but I don't think she really looks like her, they just both have brown hair and blue eyes. no one has ever mistaken zooey deschanel for a riot-grrrl/lesbian.
my girlfriend is somehow both very skinny, and curvy. She has this tiny waist, and then has it going on in the appropriate places. Mmm.
I think she is the most petite of any girl I have dated, but she also has the best rear end. Oh man.
-
its always nice when you can find someone who is a hot piece of brain AND a hot piece of ass.