The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 08, 2003, 01:59:21 pm

Title: Re: Anticipation II: Electric Boogaloo
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2003, 01:59:21 pm
Quote from: "Anxiously Awaiting His Replacement Computer"
Ah, once again I'm up before God and enjoying the soft chill of the morning as I wait, sans coffee.


Why don't you have coffee?  Don't they sell it where you are?  You can make it yourself, you know.

Otherwise, my sympathies regarding your travails in the wilds of the phone banks.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jough on December 08, 2003, 02:21:38 pm
I'm trying to quit drinking so much damn coffee.

You know, for Lent.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 02:31:28 pm
I had to quit coffee as well.
Teetotal and no coffee. Boy is it fun.
Now if only I could get some more weed! My one vice and I'm not giving that up.

I definitely sympathise though. I've only had to order from one bad company, and it was painful. Waiting two weeks for one part so I could getmy machine back up and running.
Now I have two stores that I know I can trust for next day delivery of anything, which is nice.
PC Mall, sounds scarily like PC World. I tend to avoid anywhere with names remotely like that, since they'll tend to suck mightily.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jay-ell on December 08, 2003, 03:47:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I had to quit coffee as well.
Teetotal and no coffee. Boy is it fun.
Now if only I could get some more weed! My one vice and I'm not giving that up.


Yeah, you think that's fun, try being a walking baby factory.  No cigarettes; no weed; no alcohol; no caffeine; no prescription or OTC medications except Tylenol and Tums; no rare red meat for heaven's sake.  

This isn't an annoucement, BTW.  I'm just sayin'.

</hijack>
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jough on December 08, 2003, 03:56:06 pm
You people need to GET A ROOM.

A room in another thread.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 04:19:04 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

Yeah, you think that's fun, try being a walking baby factory.


Why do you think I had to give up coffee and booze.
Oh wait...
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 05:26:44 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Yeah, you think that's fun, try being a walking baby factory.  No cigarettes; no weed; no alcohol; no caffeine; no prescription or OTC medications except Tylenol and Tums; no rare red meat for heaven's sake.  

This isn't an annoucement, BTW.  I'm just sayin'.


This sounds like a regular roarin' Saturday night over at my place
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on December 08, 2003, 06:31:33 pm
Over two years since I quit smoking and I still crave cigarettes all the time. Being able to breathe when I wake up in the morning is small compensation. Dunno if I'd ever be able to give up caffeine (though I have managed to cut back marginally in the past few months).
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 08, 2003, 07:49:22 pm
I've always considered caffeine the two week drug.  

It takes about two weeks for your body to get used to (and require) a certain amount.  It takes two weeks (of drowsy hell) to get off it.  It takes two weeks to switch from a regular cola to actually liking a diet cola.  

It also tends to take about two weeks before you realize that you've become that guy that orders a double bacon cheesburger and a Diet Coke.

My friends tell me, "Don't be that guy."
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 08, 2003, 07:56:57 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I've always considered caffeine the two week drug.  

It takes about two weeks for your body to get used to (and require) a certain amount.  It takes two weeks (of drowsy hell) to get off it.  It takes two weeks to switch from a regular cola to actually liking a diet cola.  

It also tends to take about two weeks before you realize that you've become that guy that orders a double bacon cheesburger and a Diet Coke.

My friends tell me, "Don't be that guy."


That's funny. Compared to all the other fun substances one can try, I always considered caffeine the Too Weak drug.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 08:18:31 pm
I should really make another run at quitting soda once I get the chance. I've heard horror stories of what the serious caffeine addiction can be like, and it honestly worries me quite a bit.

That, and once I get off caffeine, I can officially start posturing as being "straightedge." I will still listen to non-emo music and eat gigantic quantities of red meat, but that shouldn't hurt my credentials any.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: St_Zartan on December 08, 2003, 08:39:36 pm
Quote from: "Alohadawg"
I always considered caffeine the Too Weak drug.


Quote from: "V-Adore"
I should really make another run at quitting soda once I get the chance. I've heard horror stories of what the serious caffeine addiction can be like, and it honestly worries me quite a bit.


Yeah. Do not think that caffeine will not fuck you up. At one point, I was pounding down at least seven or eight cups a day - then I abruptly quit. Ever since then, too much caffeine (or any other stimulant, like those vile, over-the-counter pills with names like "truckers' best friend" - just don't, okay?) produces in me the analogue of a long-lasting, low-grade panic attack. Just because it's legal doesn't make it kid-tested and mother-approved.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 08:48:04 pm
It could be worse, you could be drinking that much coffee. The strongest stuff I drink is Mountain Dew and even that kind of pales in comparison to a hot cup o' joe.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: andalucia on December 08, 2003, 09:29:06 pm
I can't function on fewer than four cups of black coffee a day.  And I'm in high school.  This probably does not bode well.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2003, 09:29:40 pm
I've been on this ride -- this year.

I went cold turkey on caffeine back around March.  Lasted until almost June.  Now I'm back to a 20 oz. Diet Mountain Dew to start the morning with regular hits throughout the day.

I think Pedro has it about right, but it only took me a week to get that sweet alkaloid out of my system.  Had vicious headaches for the first three days.  Once I was through it, I was okey-dokey.

Not sure why I went back.  Probably has something to do with sweet tea.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 08, 2003, 10:03:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Not sure why I went back.  Probably has something to do with sweet tea.


Ah sweet tea.  A drink so seductive you can almost hear her lilting southern timbre.  Not a crack-addled whore of a drink like Mountain Dew, no.

But just...
                         as...
                                              deadly.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 10:03:08 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I've been on this ride -- this year.

I went cold turkey on caffeine back around March.  Lasted until almost June.  Now I'm back to a 20 oz. Diet Mountain Dew to start the morning with regular hits throughout the day.

I think Pedro has it about right, but it only took me a week to get that sweet alkaloid out of my system.  Had vicious headaches for the first three days.  Once I was through it, I was okey-dokey.

Not sure why I went back.  Probably has something to do with sweet tea.


I hate coffee so I generally start my day with a Cherry Coke or Mountain Dew.

What do you mean sweet tea?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2003, 10:06:42 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The strongest stuff I drink is Mountain Dew and even that kind of pales in comparison to a hot cup o' joe.


Not So.  Mountain Dew is the racers edge.

~Paul
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jough on December 08, 2003, 10:12:47 pm
I've been drinking at least a full pot of coffee a day for about six years.  Sometimes I'd even make a second pot and drink much of that.

I do drink a lot of fluids, still, but I'm trying to switch to water now.

It ain't easy.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2003, 10:15:36 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Ah sweet tea.  A drink so seductive you can almost hear her lilting southern timbre.  Not a crack-addled whore of a drink like Mountain Dew, no.

But just...
                         as...
                                              deadly.


They'll take my sweet tea when they pry my cold dead fingers from the jug.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/Pic_of_the_Day/Images/2003/05-03/05-02-03/DSCN5538-E-I.jpg)
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2003, 10:16:06 pm
Sweet Tea is iced tea that has been pre-sweetened.  VERY pre-sweetened.  You get it in restaurants south of the Mason-Dixon line.

If you order iced tea, the waitress will ask you, "Sweet or Unsweet?"  Despite the fact that I only drink diet soda, I must have sweet tea.

Captain D's has good sweet tea.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jay-ell on December 08, 2003, 10:18:41 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I hate coffee so I generally start my day with a Cherry Coke or Mountain Dew.

What do you mean sweet tea?


Come on down South and sit a spell.  I'll make a pitcher of sweet tea and we'll sit on the porch and watch the fireflies.  Sweet tea cannot be defined*, only experienced.  

Or, try this recipe. (http://www.beveragerecipe.com/AZ/SthCrlinSwtT.asp)  Aaah, the message board once again returns to its roots: beverage recipes.  

*Actually, it can.  Sweet tea is iced tea with copious amounts of sugar, added while hot.  When the liquid cools it is supersaturated with sugar, allowing for a sweeter, smoother drink than is attainable by adding sugar to cold tea.  Very tasty.  
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 11:47:03 pm
I should get into sweet tea. It sounds like a good trip.

I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...

Incidentally, do they sell caffeine-free non-diet Coke? Such a thing would probably help my quitting efforts, the more I come to think of it.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 11:49:36 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The strongest stuff I drink is Mountain Dew and even that kind of pales in comparison to a hot cup o' joe.


Not So.  Mountain Dew is the racers edge.

~Paul


That's not what the Straight Dope said (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcaffeine.html).

This sweet tea stuff sounds terrible. I'm glad that even though I'm south of the mason-dixon line I'm still effectively in the north.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Limmo on December 08, 2003, 11:59:22 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
 I found a rib house that actually does sweet tea (not easy in SoCal)


Where?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Limmo on December 09, 2003, 12:01:20 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, do they sell caffeine-free non-diet Coke? Such a thing would probably help my quitting efforts, the more I come to think of it.


Yes.  In fact, I have bought it by accident more than once, when my wife thought I was getting her CFDC.  It's an easy mistake to make.  But a painful one.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: sjlimmer on December 09, 2003, 01:11:40 am
I only recently discovered sweet tea myself.  Found it at a BBQ place outside Seattle (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/131302_momentwith18.html).  It was a thing of beauty.  All my attempts to replicate it have been slightly disappointing.

Probably because I tried things like using loose leaf tea with blackberries and sage in it.  Not exactly authentic.  Oh, and if such a thing is possible, I do believe I put too much sugar into the tea.

As for caffeine-free sodas, having been forced to spend time in the cafeteria at Brigham Young University (http://www.byu.edu/skyroom/menu.html), I can say without a doubt that caffeine-free Coke exists, and is an abomination.  Of course, I don't even like regular Coke all that much...
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 09, 2003, 01:24:24 am
Naw, sweet tea is good. I imbibe every chance I get. It tastes good. I mean, come on, basically it's iced tea made with a supersaturated water/sugar solution. What's not to like?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2003, 01:29:52 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, do they sell caffeine-free non-diet Coke? Such a thing would probably help my quitting efforts, the more I come to think of it.


Yes (http://coke.com/usa/ourBrands/flashIndex1.html).  And Pepsi has an analogue, as well.  However, caffeine-free non-diet drinks can be hard to find, especially in restaurants.  

Best of luck to you.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 01:49:50 am
As someone who's sugar intake is probably somewhere in the realms of a few micrograms a month, sweet tea sounds absolutely foul!
Thanks for letting me know (though I wouldn't anyway) not to choose sweetend when ordering iced tea there!
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 09, 2003, 01:57:40 am
Quote from: "slink"
As someone who's sugar intake is probably somewhere in the realms of a few micrograms a month, sweet tea sounds absolutely foul!
Thanks for letting me know (though I wouldn't anyway) not to choose sweetend when ordering iced tea there!


Only works, more or less, in the south or in places where the theme is Southern. Everywhere else, you have to try to get granulated sugar to dissolve in cold tea with ice in it. Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?

Your call.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 02:04:15 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?

Your call.


My call? Bitter tea with a pile of sugar on the table.
I really don't understand it but I can't stand sugar.
It kind of screws me up in the same way as caffeine started to do as well. And alcohol. I had one glass of wine the other night, and my brain started up with this kind of, internal hallucination:
Russian bears in pink frocks, dancing around jazz hands style, singing about venerable Welsh women wearing expensive jewelry.
For no good reason.
It was horrible.
I don't even know if I can drink whisky anymore, and that thought is scary.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: andalucia on December 09, 2003, 02:38:39 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?


Heat it up, so it'll have a higher saturation point, add the sugar until no more will dissolve, and when it cools down it'll be supersaturated, but the sugar will still be dissolved in it.  

Now that's high school chemistry at work.  And I speak as a participant in the crystal-growing contest.  Ohh yeah.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 09, 2003, 08:55:07 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?


Heat it up, so it'll have a higher saturation point, add the sugar until no more will dissolve, and when it cools down it'll be supersaturated, but the sugar will still be dissolved in it.  

Now that's high school chemistry at work.  And I speak as a participant in the crystal-growing contest.  Ohh yeah.


Since I'm referring to ordering either 'iced tea' or 'sweet tea' in a food-service sort of setting, that would require carrying a hot plate or immersion heater with me, which I almost never do....but  When I make my own tea, it's real, brewed tea, sweetened to a reasonable level, and poured over ice.  Add lemon and serve. Add no sugar for venerably impoverished gentility.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2003, 01:44:19 pm
Sometimes when I"m visiting relatives up North, I order a cup of hot tea and a glass of ice.  You can make passably good sweet tea on a per-serving basis this way, but it's inclined to be weak (on account of all the ice) and it's a lot of work for a non-alcoholic beverage.  

Still, sometimes it's worth it.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 02:14:30 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 09, 2003, 02:42:58 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul


In hell, these are the things you wash your fat-free Twinkies down with.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 03:15:29 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

In hell, these are the things you wash your fat-free Twinkies down with.


You know I actually feel bad about the fact I have never had a Twinkie.
I keep trying to get my friends to bring me one back whenever they visit the States, but to no avail.

Damn. I was trying to find a link to the particularly embarrassing looking dog hotel that's just opened in North Carolina, but that too, to no avail. They give each dog a TV!! I mean... come on!
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2003, 03:54:42 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul


Wouldn't that just be yellow #5 and water? And of course the crippling flavor of aspertame.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 09, 2003, 06:26:16 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Damn. I was trying to find a link to the particularly embarrassing looking dog hotel that's just opened in North Carolina, but that too, to no avail. They give each dog a TV!! I mean... come on!


People in my state build things like that so the out-of-state idiots can come to it and leave their money.  It's what our president calls trrism.  He's against it for some reason.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 07:05:33 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

People in my state build things like that so the out-of-state idiots can come to it and leave their money.


Ah yes, the rich-out-of-state idiots no less.
They're a good dollar.
Ugh did I just say that?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: V-Adore on December 09, 2003, 07:38:21 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...

Wouldn't that just be yellow #5 and water? And of course the crippling flavor of aspertame.

More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2003, 08:06:15 pm
The only flavor I know for sure in Mountain Dew is orange juice but I actually do like the taste. I tend to mix it into my usual pattern of Pepsis and Cherry Cokes for a change now and then. Or when I'm tired. Although lately I've been drinking Sprite at lunch. But that's mainly because fountain Coke is even worse than canned Coke.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2003, 08:10:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.


CEASE YOUR BLASPHEMIES THIS INSTANT, VILE WOMAN!!!

'course I gotta agree with you on the Bud Light thing, though...
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jough on December 09, 2003, 08:25:11 pm
I like the flavour of Mount 'n Do.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 08:55:08 pm
Hey everybody, puns are allowed now.

~Paul
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: jough on December 09, 2003, 09:13:06 pm
How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.

Abraham Lincoln was a man, but not all men are Abraham Lincoln.

This is metaphysics / AI 101 here, people.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 09:33:48 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.


I think Mountain Dew is supposed to be "citrus"; this not from any direct experience of anything remotely citrusy, but from the fact that I once bought a store-brand Mountain Dew knock-off called Citrus Drop (they'd even bothered to cook up its own snappy slogan - pop the drop). It was two 2-liter bottles for a buck, and mixed pretty okay with the cheapshit vodka I drink assuming nothing else was at hand.

But, um - I like the taste of Mountain Dew. I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 09:47:33 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
But, um - I like the taste of Mountain Dew. I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?


Uhhh, at least you're not drinking Schaefer.

~Paul
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 09, 2003, 09:51:09 pm
Quote from: "El Guapo"
How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.


WordNet (http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict3&Database=wn) disagrees with you, and it's on the internet so it must be true.

pun
     n : a humorous play on words; "I do it for the pun of it"; "his
         constant punning irritated her" [syn: punning, wordplay,
          paronomasia]
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 09:53:11 pm
Quote from: "El Guapo"
How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.

Abraham Lincoln was a man, but not all men are Abraham Lincoln.

This is metaphysics / AI 101 here, people.


Ok, I’ll rephrase my statement.  Hey everybody, plays on words, which bear a striking resemblance to puns, and are equally unfunny, are now allowed.

~Paul
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2003, 10:39:13 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?



MMMMMmmmm.  The Beast.  I like Milwaukee's Beast, too.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2003, 10:40:34 pm
Fearless Leader, Guapo, I must confess that I am confused by the distinction between a play on words and a pun.  Could you provide example of each for my enlightenment?

Thanks in advance!
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 10:53:44 pm
Well, saying that you were 'AugustBest' would be a nasty, pitiful and unforgivable pun.
It's using a word that sounds just like another, in place of it, to give a different meaning.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: V-Adore on December 09, 2003, 11:45:01 pm
Well, if you want to be honest, I more or less like the taste of Dew too. I was just under the impression that nobody actually drank it for the flavor, for which I was grievously mistaken. Forgive me, Acheboard friends.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 09, 2003, 11:46:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Well, saying that you were 'AugustBest' would be a nasty, pitiful and unforgivable pun.
It's using a word that sounds just like another, in place of it, to give a different meaning.


Actually, I think Jough is referring to the unbastardized Webster's 1913 definition puts a pun as a play on a word's homonym specifically.  For instance:

"Why are Japanese legislators so skinny?  Because they're members of the diet."

Diet meaning both prescribed rules for eating and a legislative body used in several countries such as Germany, Poland, and Japan.  Get it?  Skinny legislators?

If I am correct, the weaker definition of a pun as any play on words and not just on words with multiple meanings has only recently gained acceptance.  So when Jough insists we aren't making proper puns, he is correct in a way.  In the same way that people who say the recent presidential election was a fraud and people who insist that we should never have come off the gold standard are correct.  The fighting against impossible odds way of being correct.

Personally, I've given up on trying to hold back the floodgates of proper English.  Stopped correcting every occurance of 'The thing of it is is that...'  Started speaking in broken clauses instead of sentences.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 11:59:15 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Actually, I think El Guapo is referring to the unbastardized Webster's 1913 definition puts a pun at a play on a word's homonym specifically.


That is the definition I prefer, but I understand that with my annoyance (see... erm.. other thread where I blew up about it) I would implode, or explode, if I resented any use of it that did not include homonyms.
So I'm being forgiving.
It won't last.
And I don't enjoy it.
Shucks see, now I'm back to unfogiving!
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 10, 2003, 12:48:00 am
But by that definition, El Guapo's playing of "Mount 'n do" homonymously (I like that...Ho-MON-y-mous-ly!) against "Mountain Dew" would be a pun by the definition you refer to, n'est pas?

I'm so confused.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 10, 2003, 01:37:00 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I'm so confused.


*rubs hands*
It works...

I prefer to just call it 'that green shit'.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2003, 01:42:15 am
Slink, how long have you been Teador?
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2003, 01:42:48 am
Or Teodor, as it were.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: slink on December 10, 2003, 02:08:00 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Or Teodor, as it were.


For 48, sorry, 49 posts. OK that'll stop making sense any time soon.
Since 800.
Title: No Mo Cawfee
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2003, 02:20:03 am
Must have just missed that.

Carry on.