The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: PinkStainlessTail on December 08, 2003, 06:11:09 pm

Title: The Darkness
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on December 08, 2003, 06:11:09 pm
"I Believe in A Thing Called Love"

Am I supposed to laugh or not?

SOMEONE (preferably from the UK) PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO THINK.
Title: The Darkness
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 06:37:41 pm
I think the answer is yes.
They are somewhat a serious parody.
From what I've seen and heard of them, they're just having fun in the style of hair metal.
I find them quite amusing, in a 'I don't have to get rid of it immediately' way. Which feels wrong.
Title: The Darkness
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on December 08, 2003, 06:42:45 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I think the answer is yes.
They are somewhat a serious parody.


That is the part that is like living with bees in my head: they are a joke and they are also not a joke. Damn catchy and fun at any rate (sorta like something Zappa would do, now that I think about it...).

I am having similar problems with The Polyphonic Spree, but there it's "is this just for fun or step one of a new ecstatic death cult?"
Title: The Darkness
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 07:01:14 pm
Upon further thought (having eaten), yes you are supposed to laugh. But enjoy at the same time.
I half saw a gig they did last night on TV, and they had interviews and stuff, and they were saying that they take it very seriously, but not themselves. They're just out to have fun. And hopefully make everyone else have fun.
And if you look at what the guy wears!!! How can you not be supposed to laugh at that!

I am yet undecided what I think of them. But I reckon, well, they're kind of fun, and they're not painful to experience. And it's better than all the goddamned fuck*ng pop bullshit we have going on over here at the moment.
UK pop really hurts!
Title: The Darkness
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 08:21:53 pm
I can totally respect a band that's out to have some fun in a cheesy genre. Honestly, I'd rather just take a band that's enjoying itself over five "well, we're thinking about our artistic integrity" bands any day.
Title: The Darkness
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2003, 10:03:04 pm
My 12 year old nephew is in a band and they enjoy themselves greatly, but I don't think anybody would want to buy their record.

~Paul
Title: The Darkness
Post by: reigunred on January 02, 2004, 08:31:47 pm
Plus that guy's falsetto is amazing.
Title: The Darkness
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2004, 09:30:23 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
My 12 year old nephew is in a band and they enjoy themselves greatly, but I don't think anybody would want to buy their record.

Time for the traditional anecdotal-evidence rebuttal: I have a demo tape given to me by a few friends of mine at about age 14, when they were very much in a "get together and fiddle with some instruments" band phase. It probably doesn't compare musically with, say, Animalicious, but I treasure it and would buy any more work that they had released.

Admittedly, I had a raging, soul-rending crush on the drummer for about three years, but work with me.