The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Asherdan on January 07, 2010, 05:00:37 pm
-
SCIENCE! (http://www.sciencedaily.com/)
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
-
Blanket sucking.
Huh. I thought my paw-licking dog was weird.
-
last night the girl dog was licking the rug for about an hour, then puked, then kept licking the rug. she's got no doberman nor bull terrier in her; the boy dog is probably a full-blood american staffordshire terrier (another pit breed) and licks his paws sometimes when he forgets the toy that's trapped beneath them.
the best thing i've found to do when they're licking and i'm not otherwise busy is to take them outside and run them around a bit, maybe throw a ball. fifteen minutes' exercise every couple hours is a great distraction, and tires them past the point of licking by evening.
-
I've got a dachsund that's a blanket sucker and a lab that's a paw slopper so I got a tinge from it too. Sometimes the house sounds like bathtime at the old folks home, they get going real good.
Our dachshund is a blanket/sheet licker. He's also a paw licker. We think it's cause the fur between his paw pads is tickling him.
-
Mine usually starts by "trimming her snowshoes", aka the extra fur between her pads, but then moves on to slobber all over her paws and the bedspread she's lying on.
-
Ugh... This totall reminds me. My sweet pup is roaming my home alone, loose and free for the first time. Due to separation anxiety troubles from before we adopted him, he started out as a crated dog while I was away at work, but I've been slowly weening him off of it. Hopefully he's being good right now instead of... you know... defecating everywhere or destroying the couch... We'll see.
-
Mine likes her crate. Now that she's grown up, I leave the door to it open during the day when we're gone. When I come home she's usually napping in it.
-
Way to go, Jaydub. You conditioned that doggie into thinking her home is jail.
Not that this isn't a harmless and very useful thing...
-
Sub Tropical... Is that you? It's been more than a year.
Are you back? Where have you been? Sit a spell, tell us about your life.
-
I know! I'm actually rather pleased that something in the "dog owner manual" books actually worked the way it was supposed to.
-
This thread is alarmingly pug-free.
-
Way to go, Jaydub. You conditioned that doggie into thinking her home is jail.
Not that this isn't a harmless and very useful thing...
Holy shit where did you crawl out of?
-
This thread is alarmingly pug-free.
That's because the pugs don't have these particular problems so I have nothing to add.
But, dachshunds, now, there's a fucked-up breed of dog. I'm working with someone who has a dachshund and I am crazy about the little sucker but man, are they warped. Of course this just makes it more fun to mess with his mind. It took many weeks of careful work before I could pick this dog up without him trying to bite me. Seriously I feel like I need to figure out how to put this on my resume if I ever apply for a zoo job again. And now he seems to love it! Make up your mind, you crazy animal.
-
Dachshunds were originally bred to hunt and kill badgers. Mind, they were 2 to 2.5 times as big back then. Still, impressive.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgC-ocnTTto
Alka-Seltzer + water sphere in zero gravity
-
pugs have that weird backward sneeze thing so don't get all high and mighty because that there is freaky
my pups saw snow tonight. the pit hated it but the girl enjoyed the hell out of it
-
That's because the pugs don't have these particular problems so I have nothing to add.
But, dachshunds, now, there's a fucked-up breed of dog. I'm working with someone who has a dachshund and I am crazy about the little sucker but man, are they warped. Of course this just makes it more fun to mess with his mind. It took many weeks of careful work before I could pick this dog up without him trying to bite me. Seriously I feel like I need to figure out how to put this on my resume if I ever apply for a zoo job again. And now he seems to love it! Make up your mind, you crazy animal.
Wombat's stalking of Onstad's dog continues.
-
So I came home to find that all was well. Indearingly, although the dog is not allowed upstairs and never even attempts more than hovering on the stairs, that the dear pup had come upstairs to a place where I had sorted dirty laundry in to a pile of darks, colours and whites for washing, and had sort of rustled around there and pulled out a few items that would have been closest to either my husband or I's skin. No damage done though - just the tall-tail signs of snuffling and possibly nesting.
I love my pup so much. His name is Mortimer aka Morty, aka Mer-mer, Cuddle-mer, Stink-a-mer, Snuggl-a-mer, Cute-a-mer or "the Biter." Surpisingly all three cats have taken to him quite well. They appreciate the free anal cleaning services. Having had cats so long, I sort of forgot how gross dogs are though - eating garbage and other dogs shit on walks, having to clean up their shit, the stink, the doggy errections, the butt scoot, the ocean of vomit that spurts forth, the appetite for anything stank... Oh, and I can't recall if I posted it here, but he had a nasty case of fleas when we first adopted him, which was hell to deal with. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but dogs are gross.
-
Having had cats so long, I sort of forgot how gross dogs are though - eating garbage and other dogs shit on walks, having to clean up their shit, the stink, the doggy errections, the butt scoot, the ocean of vomit that spurts forth, the appetite for anything stank... Oh, and I can't recall if I posted it here, but he had a nasty case of fleas when we first adopted him, which was hell to deal with. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but dogs are gross.
Sounds like having a dog is a lot like being a married woman.
Haha, heh, awww. Sorry, low blow, couldn't pass it up.
-
Haha, heh, awww. Sorry, low blow, couldn't pass it up.
More like, low hanging fruit.
-
pugs have that weird backward sneeze thing so don't get all high and mighty because that there is freaky
my pups saw snow tonight. the pit hated it but the girl enjoyed the hell out of it
Oh, god knows they have weird problems, just not the previously mentioned in the thread weird problems.
The first time the Number One Pug saw snow out the front door as a puppy, she immediately turned around and came back in the house and ran to be let out the back door. I guess if you've never seen it before it's a reasonable theory that it might not be happening in both places at the same time.
-
Wombat's stalking of Onstad's dog continues.
Good practice for stalking of Onstad's dog, now that you mention it, but I can't imagine I'll ever have occassion to be in Oregon for the months it takes to get a dachshund to let you pick it up.