The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2010, 10:31:27 pm

Title: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2010, 10:31:27 pm
I count the mixtapes I've received from members of this community to be among my favorite albums.  I've also received compliments from some of you that my mixtapes have been well received.

I would like to do another such exchange of music.  If we can only manage an online swap that is fine, but I would prefer an actual phisical product with artwork and everything.

I've already received an excellent mix from your friend and mine the Mayor Carlos Del Vaca.  Carlos, your mix will be sent as soon as mine is ready to go (soon).

So who else is in on this thing?  Expose your taste.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2010, 11:59:51 pm
I will gladly make more copies of said mix and send them to anyone who agrees to swap terms.
http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2009_12.htm#001232
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 12:56:07 am
  Expose your taste.

My "taste" is terrible. If you want to know what a mixtape from me would sound like, turn on your local "classic rock" radio station for about an hour, that is pretty much it.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on January 08, 2010, 02:46:36 am
Same for me, except that instead of a radio, you just need your nails and a chalkboard.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2010, 04:49:53 am
my taste:

x random nerdy hiphop
x some 3rd wave ska
x some OG ska
x screamy off-kilter post-whatever songs by sad white guys
x dinosaur jams
x some late 80s/early 90s R+B
x way too much powerpop
x some metal
x a healthy dose of hardcore
x a healthy dose of dance-rock
x not nearly enough psychobilly
x some of that downer-alternative-y crap from the 90s (like that band of dudes that did drugs and didnt shower)
x just enough faggy dance-pop to make a redneck look at me sideways
etc

im down.  where do i sign up.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 08, 2010, 04:57:58 am
I was just finally this afternoon dragging my ass over to the "Best Songs of '09 According To Me" file to work on my second annual so-named mix.  I will post soon, and mail as requested.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2010, 05:47:00 am
my taste:

x some of that downer-alternative-y crap from the 90s (like that band of dudes that did drugs and didnt shower)
You mean, all of them?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on January 08, 2010, 08:25:57 am
I'm in, I'm actually spending tonight finishing off a mix tape so I'll probably just use that. Warning: The theme is flawed love songs.

Also: If an actual cassette tape would whet your whistle let me know, otherwise mp3s or a cd are easy, just not as cool.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2010, 08:54:05 am
Also: If an actual cassette tape would whet your whistle let me know, otherwise mp3s or a cd are easy, just not as cool.

I love Cassettes (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/3980142152_9e9e43f609_b.jpg), but I don't want that format.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2010, 07:59:47 pm
You mean, all of them?

i meant that i have some hits from nirvana/pearl jam/stone temple pilots/etc.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2010, 08:01:08 pm
I love Cassettes (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/3980142152_9e9e43f609_b.jpg), but I don't want that format.

according to your TV setup, you might be a redneck.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2010, 09:32:46 pm
according to your TV setup, you might be a redneck.

Does that stereotype still apply if both of the televisions still function?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2010, 09:42:59 pm
Does that stereotype still apply if both of the televisions still function?

according to the joke, i think no, but according to my interpretation, yes ;)
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2010, 09:46:15 pm
I wish I could do this, but I think I only have one mixtape in me, and it was the last one we did. I don't think I have heard and liked enough new music since then.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2010, 09:49:28 pm
I don't think I have heard and liked enough new music since then.

This.  I've got lots of interesting (to me at least) stuff but it's probably old hat and boring to the connoisseurs around here.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2010, 09:51:49 pm
This.  I've got lots of interesting (to me at least) stuff but it's probably old hat and boring to the connoisseurs around here.

I wish I could do this, but I think I only have one mixtape in me, and it was the last one we did. I don't think I have heard and liked enough new music since then.

Bullshit!!  None of my mixes has ever been entirely new music.  Get to mixin'!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2010, 10:00:48 pm
I wish that site Muxtape had not gotten shut down, I was proud of my mix on there.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2010, 10:16:08 pm
This.  I've got lots of interesting (to me at least) stuff but it's probably old hat and boring to the connoisseurs around here.

Disagree.  I like to know what other people dig.  And there's almost always something new (to me) on anyone else's mix disc.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 09, 2010, 12:36:17 am
Disagree.  I like to know what other people dig.  And there's almost always something new (to me) on anyone else's mix disc.

Agreed with the bull's (and the moustache's) disagreement.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on January 09, 2010, 03:06:23 am
Yeah, come on kids, mine won't be all new to you guys I'm sure. 
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2010, 08:56:27 am
As for August, I still listen to your mix from before.  It has some super eclectic shit on it.

Wombat, I would allow that you use your previous mix for the folks that haven't received it because it's pretty essential stuff, but that won't cut it for me, I want more!!!

Volume II people!!!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2010, 01:34:59 pm
I would definitely trade my previous disc with anyone who wants it.

I will think about a second one but seriously I don't have a spare minute to do this before the end of the month.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 12, 2010, 06:25:44 pm
i have my mix tape all set aside and stuff.  im going to buy some blank CDs and get it ready to ship out.  im pretty excited.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: theinevitable on January 13, 2010, 12:36:47 am
I will make a disk, but right now I hate all music. Too many hours driving.

I came away from it being able to recognize when modern folk/country groups take songs from traditional songs. so that's good I guess.

also: I was always so happy when a Beatles album came on. I burned a ton of MP3 CDs, so everything was in random-ass (actually, alphabetical) order, and sometimes a Beatles album would come on... so good. So good.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 16, 2010, 09:04:50 pm
my CDs are burned and packed and addressed.  i intend to ship them out on monday.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2010, 10:39:17 pm
GKA, do you have my addy?

My mix was nearly complete when my hard drive crashed.  I am just now picking up the pieces from that.  Fortunately itunes saved my playlist so I don't have to remember what was on it, but I do have to reacquire some of the songs that were on it.  I'll be back up to speed soon.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 17, 2010, 04:35:45 am
GKA, do you have my addy?

no sir.  PM it to me and ill hook you up, too.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 17, 2010, 04:52:51 am
no sir.  PM it to me and ill hook you up, too.


That post was pure evil. (Post #666!)
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 17, 2010, 05:26:15 am
That post was pure evil. (Post #666!)

i guess im not such a goodie-goodie after all...
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2010, 05:42:10 am
Hoorah!  I made a mixdisc and I'm working on a label!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on January 17, 2010, 11:12:30 am
I'm back to a computer where I can burn cds so I should be good to go by mid-week, send me addresses if you want in, people.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 17, 2010, 05:38:57 pm
it cost less than $2 dollars each to mail everyone's CD out, even Doc. 
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2010, 05:17:10 am
Doc, did I send you my addy?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2010, 06:09:32 am
You did, sorry I didn't reply. My cover art is done and the joy should be sent by wednesday tomorrow being official national beer and barbecue day.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2010, 03:06:56 pm
I've hit a snag compiling my latest disc.  I may offer my previous mix which I don't think any of you have anyway.

Either way, I'm ready to start collecting addresses if you want a disc from me.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2010, 11:50:45 pm
I'm in, and I don't have your previous.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on January 27, 2010, 02:47:34 am
Was pleasantly surprised to pull gk's mix out of the mailbox. Will post impressions later tonight.

Edit: Well, maybe tomorrow. There's an hour and a half of music here!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2010, 03:09:05 am
Green Kool Aid, dude, it's 95 songs.  That's not a mixtape, it's a fuck*ng box set.  Do you have a track list?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: CortJstr on January 27, 2010, 02:07:21 pm
I got mine Monday night but haven't had a chance to even remove it from the envelope yet.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 27, 2010, 03:03:27 pm
well, i just put as many songs as would fit.  i didnt really think of the actual number of tracks.

you can access the playlist here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2225032/TOUAMBmixplaylist2010.docx) (MS Word document).
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2010, 08:29:25 pm
Thanks.  Now I can listen to this in the way that the compiler intended.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: CortJstr on January 27, 2010, 08:33:53 pm
Is it sad that Sublime's version of Hong Kong Phooey is in my regular rotation? Also: The Ramones - Spider-man.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 27, 2010, 08:47:03 pm
Is it sad that Sublime's version of Hong Kong Phooey is in my regular rotation?

not in the least.  there are much sadder things about you  ;)
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2010, 02:25:19 am
I received mine yesterday despite not having actually signed up for one. Thanks, GK. It's on my spouse's desk awaiting transfer to my iPod.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 28, 2010, 03:08:18 am
I received mine yesterday despite not having actually signed up for one. Thanks, GK. It's on my spouse's desk awaiting transfer to my iPod.

crap.  i sent one to everyone on the giftlist ;D

talk about dumb....
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2010, 03:23:11 am
crap.  i sent one to everyone on the giftlist ;D

talk about dumb....

That's what I was going to do... 

If that's not the right list then what is?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on January 28, 2010, 03:57:05 am
Same here, man. Once I do get mine done, I am going to send it to anyone who asks, plus those on the gift list.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: theinevitable on January 28, 2010, 06:28:27 pm
hey guys
so, I do not think it is in the cards for me to mail mine out...
1. budget
but mostly
2. last time I made the mix and never sent it out because I am horrible at Getting Things Done.

so I am working on a mix, and I will post it somewhere online, even with cover art.

yay!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2010, 08:55:37 pm
hey guys
so, I do not think it is in the cards for me to mail mine out...
1. budget
but mostly
2. last time I made the mix and never sent it out because I am horrible at Getting Things Done.

so I am working on a mix, and I will post it somewhere online, even with cover art.

yay!

Copout!!!  Just kidding, but seriously don't fail us.  We all want to listen to your mix.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2010, 08:58:50 pm
Okay, my mix was in pretty bad disarray.  I couldn't come up with a track listing that worked for me.  I added nearly 50 songs to my playlist, but last night I put together a mix that I really like and I think I am done unless I decide to make a second disc out of the leftovers.  Also, there are several more songs that I want to consider for the second disc.  Or maybe I'll just keep them on the back burner for a future disc.

I need to get the artwork in order and I'll be putting my mix together very soon.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Drygioni on January 31, 2010, 02:56:48 am
Okay, my mix was in pretty bad disarray.  I couldn't come up with a track listing that worked for me.  I added nearly 50 songs to my playlist, but last night I put together a mix that I really like and I think I am done unless I decide to make a second disc out of the leftovers.  Also, there are several more songs that I want to consider for the second disc.  Or maybe I'll just keep them on the back burner for a future disc.

I need to get the artwork in order and I'll be putting my mix together very soon.

S ned it to me Mrcare?.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 03:26:51 am
S ned it to me Mrcare?.

I don't have your addy anymore.  PM me.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2010, 04:15:06 pm
I don't have your addy anymore.  PM me.

Best wait 'til you sober up, though.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 01, 2010, 12:17:09 am
i LOLed at 'mr care'.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Mr Trout on February 07, 2010, 11:08:44 pm
Thanks for the mix GK, it came today. Not sure why it took two weeks from the postmark when you live one state over, but I am listening to it now and I dig that Blind Melon cover of 3 is a magic number.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 07, 2010, 11:15:04 pm
if any one person only likes one song in my CD, then its great.
Title: I Make Hamburgers
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2010, 06:09:12 am
I just received today a wonderful mixtape in the mail from Doc.  I haven't had a chance to completely digest it yet, but one song is already Brain Tape.  Thanks for the awesome customization of the cover art especially for me.  I mean, I hope you didn't compliment Wombat on her awesome facial hair.

I make Hamburgers, I get all the girls...
Title: Re: I Make Hamburgers
Post by: wombat on March 07, 2010, 03:12:04 pm
  I mean, I hope you didn't compliment Wombat on her awesome facial hair.

WTF!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 07, 2010, 03:58:55 pm
I should have known that would come out sounding all wrong.

If he complimented you on your awesome facial hair it would be weird because you don't have facial hair.  If he customizes your disc I would guess he would write something about your awesome pugs.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 08, 2010, 10:19:35 pm
Glad you like it Paul. Horrifyingly I don't think Wombat was on the giving list. That said there were also a couple of people that got missed because I moved house in the middle of sending them out and lost my list so if anyone who wants one doesn't get one let me know.

P.s. I've recieved yours Tony, will give proper appreciation when my net is more reliable.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on March 08, 2010, 11:57:58 pm
I wasn't on the list because I didn't have anything to trade. Unless you don't have my old one.  I don't remember everyone I sent it to last time.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2010, 01:13:42 am
I wasn't on the list because I didn't have anything to trade. Unless you don't have my old one.  I don't remember everyone I sent it to last time.

This is a travesty.  That was such a good mixtape.  I know you have another one in you.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on March 09, 2010, 01:32:25 am
Hey! I got mine from Doc but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Love the personalized cover.  The Love Triangle makes a lot of sense.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on March 09, 2010, 02:03:33 am
I keep getting mixdiscs even though I am not on the list. You guys think that by sending me these things you can get me to make another one out of a sense of obligation, I know your sneaky ways.

I am terrible at listening to music any more, though, because 98% of the time when I'm in the car there are children and Dora the Explorer involved, and the other 2% of the time I just turn off the radio and enjoy the silence.

Someday soon, though, I will get my Act together and do some Music Appreciatin'.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Drygioni on March 09, 2010, 06:15:31 am
I keep getting mixdiscs even though I am not on the list. You guys think that by sending me these things you can get me to make another one out of a sense of obligation, I know your sneaky ways.

I am terrible at listening to music any more, though, because 98% of the time when I'm in the car there are children and Dora the Explorer involved, and the other 2% of the time I just turn off the radio and enjoy the silence.

Someday soon, though, I will get my Act together and do some Music Appreciatin'.

I love that song.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 09, 2010, 09:40:36 am
I wasn't on the list because I didn't have anything to trade. Unless you don't have my old one.  I don't remember everyone I sent it to last time.

I don't, but I'm happy to send one out anyway if you shoot me your address.

some yay-hoo

Serious?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2010, 01:20:22 am
No, no dude, I was trying to make a 'Yahoo Serious' joke, which I guess is about 20 years out of date.

Meanwhile, an occasion when Ash is worried he may have offended someone, we should take a picture of this one.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: miles on March 10, 2010, 01:46:45 am
Yahoo Serious! Brings me back. Well not really, but I do remember that dude. But yeah, 20 years out of date and also wrong continent for most of us. And also, before your time? Or is he still pretty well known over there?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2010, 09:39:07 am
No, not at all. I remember seeing his stuff on video when I was like 7 or 8. He made another movie a few years ago but it was bad and no one cares. Most Australians mainly pretend that our late-80s, early 90s attempts at pop culture didn't really happen.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on March 10, 2010, 02:22:41 pm
I got a pre-recorded auto-dialer call from my son's new principal last night reminding us of a PTA meeting today, and discovered that he's Australian. That's a bit jarring when you live in the Southeast USA.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 10, 2010, 04:46:53 pm
Yahoo Serious sued Yahoo! for use of his good name. True story.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on March 10, 2010, 06:31:52 pm
I think Paul has shamed me into making a new disc. It might take a little while because I need to get my hands on something I only have on vinyl. Although I hear there's this newfangled deal where you can pay money and get it right on your computer instead of waiting for the mailman.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2010, 01:05:01 am
Well, no shit. I just bought only the one song I needed, and I don't have to copy it off a disc onto the computer to copy it onto discs. Days of miracle and wonder.

So, I have a mixdisc now. Anyone who wants to trade, PM me your address.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2010, 02:09:06 am
Paul, this includes you, I can't find your address.

All I can find of anyone from here is an address from Misterqueue that I don't think he even lives at anymore. WTF, really.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2010, 03:08:15 am
OK, I think I am going to have to do this thing.

Will it be cool? No.

Will it be full of music you don't already have in your catalog? Perhaps.

Will it be embarrassing for the young hip kids to listen to in front of their friends? Probably.

Does this delight me a little, in an evil sort of way? Absolutely.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 12, 2010, 10:09:23 pm
Akron/Family hits right in the sweet spot of my ear.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: theinevitable on March 14, 2010, 02:08:30 am
I am going insane because my track-listing is a little too long to fit on a disc, and I was planning to put it up online anyway, but I want the opportunity to burn it to a disc/for you guys to burn it to a disc?

I just worry that if I say I'm going to burn it and mail it out, it will turn into you guys getting the disc in 3 years.
Maybe I will split it into 2 CDs. Or maybe I will suck it up and make some hard choices.

I am too used to planning 2-hour radio shows.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 14, 2010, 09:42:40 am
I am going insane because my track-listing is a little too long to fit on a disc, and I was planning to put it up online anyway, but I want the opportunity to burn it to a disc/for you guys to burn it to a disc?

I just worry that if I say I'm going to burn it and mail it out, it will turn into you guys getting the disc in 3 years.
Maybe I will split it into 2 CDs. Or maybe I will suck it up and make some hard choices.

I am too used to planning 2-hour radio shows.

I will take downloaded music over no music, but I also feel that being brutal about which songs make the cut and which don't is part of the fun of mix tape making.
BTW...that de la sac vs. Scroobius Pip track from Doc's mix has fuck*ng earwormed me.
Yeah, I'm not a hip hop kind of guy in the main but those dudes are freaking catchy as hell.

Akron/Family hits right in the sweet spot of my ear.
That was off a collection of modern interpretations of sea chanties produced by the guy who directed the Pirates movies that I found via Neil Gaiman's blog. Luckily it was really good as well as pop culturally nichey.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on March 15, 2010, 03:36:01 am
Man, way too many of the songs I like are in excess of 5 minutes, which really eats up the disc space.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2010, 03:52:34 am
yeah, a lot of my space is getting taken up by the long-ish funk/dance tracks I put at the beginning. They don't really match the rest of the disk, either, but... they are so good. They are my three secret dance weapons.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on March 15, 2010, 07:17:07 am
The mix is done. Labels have been designed and are awaiting printing, discs are awaiting burning. I'll try to get this out by the end of this week. You can expect one if you're on the gift list. If you're not on the list and would like a copy, PM me your address.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2010, 02:26:14 am
If my computer's CD drive worked, I could learn how to make a mix-CD and make y'all a mix-CD of my favourite cover songs.

I would do this for you guys and girls.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 25, 2010, 03:55:56 pm
i do love a good cover song.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on March 25, 2010, 04:45:38 pm
As do I.

So, discs were finally shipped today. Media mail rates, so don't decide not to eat until you get it, or something.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2010, 07:14:37 am
I recieved my mix from Wombat today.  Joy.  Haven't listened all the way through yet.  will do that tomorrow for sure.

Starts out strong though, for sure with a song from one of my favorite bands Queen.

Yay.

My mixes will be in the mail on Monday.

If anyone wants one pm me.

Thanks
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jaydub on March 29, 2010, 02:52:32 am
So, discs were finally shipped today. Media mail rates, so don't decide not to eat until you get it, or something.
My copy arrived yesterday.  If the music's as cool as the cover art it should be an awesome thing.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 29, 2010, 04:22:10 am
i got leporkin's mix as well.  as soon as i saw the play list i was ready to get my aggro on like muh'fucker.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 29, 2010, 05:57:20 am
Got mine today.  Hell yeah.  Damn!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Doc on March 29, 2010, 06:17:54 am
I got my Wombat discs today too (plural!), voices in wombat's head is getting some great play, TMBG and BNL were always going to go down well in this household but I'm digging the springsteen more than I thought and 'All men are liars' and 'you were only fuck*ng' are awesomely catchy. Going to let this one digest a bit before I crack open disc 2.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 29, 2010, 07:53:13 pm
It is.

l'porkin did that up nice.

The Boy likes it as well.

teaching your kids about safely making and interacting with fake internet friends, eh?  a rad idea, indeed.

"good idea: sharing your musical taste and ideas with people on the intertubes.  bad idea:  sharing your bank account and social security number with people on the intertubes."
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2010, 10:35:18 pm
I made my own disc sleeves out of the back pages from the local indy newspaper.   I was putting the disc in their containers for mailing and I noticed an ad for the band Akron/Family coming to a local bar.  That name seemed vaguely familiar to me.  I puzzled over that for a couple of days until I put on Doc's mix today and was reminded that they appear on it.  Yay!  Oh no, the concert was last month.  Boo!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2010, 05:53:24 pm
Matapedia
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2010, 03:44:33 am
Nachtmystium!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2010, 04:46:57 pm
I got my Wombat discs today too (plural!), voices in wombat's head is getting some great play, TMBG and BNL were always going to go down well in this household but I'm digging the springsteen more than I thought and 'All men are liars' and 'you were only fuck*ng' are awesomely catchy. Going to let this one digest a bit before I crack open disc 2.

I reviewed Wombat's first mixdisc here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2834.0.html).
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 03, 2010, 09:43:31 pm
Nachtmystium!

Yeah, I figured there aren't too many black metal songs out there with sing-along choruses.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 04, 2010, 04:47:56 am
lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n' roll
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2010, 05:12:33 am
Yeah, I figured there aren't too many black metal songs out there with sing-along choruses.

I had an old friend from high school pay me a visit on Friday.  We were kicked back listening to jams like in the old days, lots of Zeppelin.  I said "I have this mixdisc you might like, it rocks."  I had to explain what a mixdisc was and why some imaginary person from the internet had sent me one.  I think he finally got it, not sure.  So we put it on at top volume and jammed it all the way through.  Nachtmystium really kicked that ass the most though, no doubt. 
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 04, 2010, 10:54:30 pm
Nachtmystium!
The band? I went to high school with a guy in that band. I wonder if they ever fully jettisoned the racism.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually know the guy (lead singer), although I did have a music theory class with him. I was told by a mutual acquaintance (a friend of mine) that the dude held racist views. I see that this has been a Thing that they've had to contend with during their career.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 05, 2010, 04:48:24 am
I didn't know about that.

After a few minutes of internet research, it looks like they once upon a time released a record on a label associated with the NSBM (National Socialist Black Metal) movement. They deny all ties to NSBM, and claim it was merely a marriage of convenience. They're with a different label now. I'm inclined to believe them.

As somebody who likes this genre of music/screeching/whatever I find the race issue to be troublesome. I certainly don't intentionally support anyone that advocates a white supremacist position, but I won't deny them the freedom to do their thing. Kind of goes against free speech and the purpose of the music in the first place.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2010, 05:20:34 am
The band? I went to high school with a guy in that band. I wonder if they ever fully jettisoned the racism.

That's a shame.  Anyway, I don't know anything about them other than this one track on Leprechaun's mix rocks out like a mother fucker.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 05, 2010, 02:30:22 pm
nachtmystium=black metal skrewdriver?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2010, 06:12:46 am
All of my disc are finally in the mail.  You should be receiving a copy soon if you've requested it.

So who all has/is doing this?  I've received 4 most excellent disc thus far from LPRKN, WOMBAT, DOC, AND GREENKOOLAYD.

I hope there are more.  I am always interested in hearing new musical sounds.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2010, 01:55:49 pm
I am still working on sending some out, if anyone wants, let me know.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 06, 2010, 02:43:45 pm
doc and leprechaun are pretty far from each other on the musical spectrum, yet there are bits from both mixes that are included in my tastes.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2010, 02:16:05 am
Just got Paul's. I'm digging the album art, I just hope that's not how your kitchen table/counter looks all the time. :P
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2010, 03:19:03 am
Cool.  I hope you like the mix as much as the cover art.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Mr Trout on April 07, 2010, 05:50:33 pm
After receiving all of these awesome mixes by people (Thanks Paul, lprkn and greenkoolayd!) I've been forced to make a mix of my own. Tweaking it right now, then I need to figure out the cover art situation.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2010, 11:43:15 pm
OMG, lprkn's disc looks like a tiny little record.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 10, 2010, 02:02:02 am
Yeah, I ran out of the regular discs and the record-looking ones were the same price as the others, so...
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 10, 2010, 11:54:31 pm
i got pauls disc yesterday.  i havent tried it out yet, but i was surprised and impressed by the art.  paul, youre the hot stinky shit, on toast.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: DavidFailkips on April 13, 2010, 02:28:57 am
nachtmystium=black metal skrewdriver?

Nachtmystium = suburban black metal with hilarious (and not-very-kvlt) stories about them.  I was once in the back seat of a car driven by Blake "Azentrius" Judd that pulled up to the drive-thru at a KFC, and between the money window and the food window, he said something about "but we hate you because you're n*gg*rs!".  Then there was that time his girlfriend walked in on him banging some other chick.  Years later, they're still together and she's still painting his album covers.

And yes, he came up with the "Azentrius" name in some art class. Possibly pottery. (and yes, the racism has probably gone out the window since then, but it was present in the early, impressionable days, when "Lords of Chaos" was pretty much his bible).

Certain TOUAMBers summon the Kips of Fail to open the Nachmystinomicon and shed light on the grim and frostbitten forbidden lore of Illinois Black Metal.  Tip your waitresses.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2010, 03:27:42 am
Nachtmystium = suburban black metal with hilarious (and not-very-kvlt) stories about them.  I was once in the back seat of a car driven by Blake "Azentrius" Judd that pulled up to the drive-thru at a KFC, and between the money window and the food window, he said something about "but we hate you because you're n*gg*rs!".  Then there was that time his girlfriend walked in on him banging some other chick.  Years later, they're still together and she's still painting his album covers.

And yes, he came up with the "Azentrius" name in some art class. Possibly pottery. (and yes, the racism has probably gone out the window since then, but it was present in the early, impressionable days, when "Lords of Chaos" was pretty much his bible).

Certain TOUAMBers summon the Kips of Fail to open the Nachmystinomicon and shed light on the grim and frostbitten forbidden lore of Illinois Black Metal.  Tip your waitresses.

My cat's breath smells like catfood.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2010, 05:05:13 pm
Re:  I Eat Hamburgers.

I wonder if the musical quote from Summer Breeze was intentional?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2010, 06:22:40 pm
Mailed mine yesterday to everybody on the giftlist (just like I said I would).  Anybody else want one, PM me an addy. 
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2010, 07:21:52 pm
Whoo Hoo!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2010, 07:34:39 pm
'39.  I like this song always have, I like every Queen song, but I would have never counted it among my favorites.  It appearing on Wombat's mix has caused me to rediscover it and really listen to it for the first time. 

It's a great song really, but tends to get overshadowed in my mind by the rest of the songs on the A Night at the Opera album.  I'm not the same kid that first picked up this album when I was 14 years old. 

I never really gave much thought to what he was singing about.  I had a vague idea that it was about immigrating to America or possibly Australia, but upon close inspection it seems to be about a space explorer who experiences the slow aging effect.  When he returns home everyone he knows is dead and he can see his wife in his daughters eyes.

Very cool song.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2010, 09:47:34 pm
I am so glad you liked that song. It is cool in so many ways and I feel like I am practically the only person on earth who knows it.

Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2010, 11:44:49 pm
There's at least one more fan of it.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 15, 2010, 06:49:48 pm
there were mixtapes from auggiedog and wombat in my box this morning.  i ripped them to my computer and i will listen to them more in-depth in the next few weeks.  the parts that i heard were impressive.  tons of cool new ear candy.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Drygioni on April 17, 2010, 02:08:55 am
Havbe OALS mixdisc

Afte ridscussion with DOC I will MAKE a dmixfisc. and it will send it. Whop want a mixdisc.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 17, 2010, 02:37:09 am
Only if it's a drunk Judy mixdisc.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 17, 2010, 02:43:53 am
Havbe OALS mixdisc

Afte ridscussion with DOC I will MAKE a dmixfisc. and it will send it. Whop want a mixdisc.

sign me up, ninja.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Mr Trout on April 17, 2010, 02:47:55 am
Havbe OALS mixdisc

Afte ridscussion with DOC I will MAKE a dmixfisc. and it will send it. Whop want a mixdisc.

Shit yeah, but only if you PM me your addy so I can send you the one I just finished
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 17, 2010, 03:31:05 am
Drunk'n Judy!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on April 17, 2010, 08:36:48 pm
Hooray!  I got Wombat's new disc and her old one too!  Love the Linda Linda song and the Bob's doing Psycho Killer.

Hooray!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: miles on April 17, 2010, 08:47:22 pm
Oh man, I'm so weirded out because I just read your post listening to Psycho Killer, the version from Disc 2 of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads. Crazy!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 21, 2010, 02:12:44 am
ALCON:

We have decided to get our bone on to every mixtape that was and/or will be sent to us.

Lprkn's came first (so to speak), it was a bit of a challenge due to the genre not exactly lending itself to getting mad-rutty.

I'll get one put together based on my DJ set at Baco de Mayo X.

That is all.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 21, 2010, 02:14:57 am
...a bit of a challenge due to the genre not exactly lending itself to getting mad-rutty.

Um...it's a feature?
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 21, 2010, 02:31:37 am
Um...it's a feature?

We just outsourced the hella yellin' about the sex to Cookie Monster is all.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 21, 2010, 03:22:04 am
...it was a bit of a challenge due to the genre not exactly lending itself to getting mad-rutty.

it works for scandinavians that burn down churches and consume the flesh of other human beings.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: lprkn on April 21, 2010, 04:55:31 am
A fecund group, if there ever was one.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2010, 04:51:33 pm
I've got Hong Kong Phooey stuck in my ear.  Thanks Green Kool Aid.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2010, 05:15:23 pm
I've got Hong Kong Phooey stuck in my ear.  Thanks Green Kool Aid.

Is that the Sublime version? Because I've had that song in my regular rotation for years. Is so good.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2010, 05:29:32 pm
Is that the Sublime version? Because I've had that song in my regular rotation for years. Is so good.

Yes.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 06, 2010, 06:20:11 pm
for the hipsterz (http://www.amazon.com/Mix-Tape-64MB-Memory-Stick/dp/B000ZZI9HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1273168689&sr=8-1)
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2010, 07:00:48 pm
for the hipsterz (http://www.amazon.com/Mix-Tape-64MB-Memory-Stick/dp/B000ZZI9HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1273168689&sr=8-1)

They still make a 64MB USB drive?  Dang!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: jaydub on May 06, 2010, 08:31:35 pm
You know, it wouldn't be a ridiculous thing to make an actual adaptor for USB sticks that would go into a cassette deck.  The loaner car I'm driving now can only play my iPod stuff with one of those lineout to cassette thingys.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2010, 08:45:38 pm
You know, it wouldn't be a ridiculous thing to make an actual adaptor for USB sticks that would go into a cassette deck.  The loaner car I'm driving now can only play my iPod stuff with one of those lineout to cassette thingys.

When I bought my last car I had the choice of tapedeck-only or CD-only. I went with cassette for exactly this reason. I'd much rather listen to my iPod via cassette adapter than carry around CDs. Of course I later replaced the radio with one that controls iPods natively, but still.
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 11, 2010, 06:25:34 pm
[[sings]]
RINDA-RINDA!  RINDA RINDA-RIND-AAH!
Title: Re: Mixtape 2010
Post by: schnitzelbank on May 14, 2010, 02:38:10 am

We have decided to get our bone on to every mixtape that was and/or will be sent to us.

Lprkn's came first (so to speak), it was a bit of a challenge due to the genre not exactly lending itself to getting mad-rutty.


I don't know what your problem was, but I got mine. Success!