The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on January 17, 2010, 04:48:11 pm

Title: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 17, 2010, 04:48:11 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01172010

This was a great start to my Sunday.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2010, 07:05:44 pm
I could barely read this. It was just so awkward. It hurt me deep inside.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: jay-ell on January 17, 2010, 07:11:59 pm
I dunno, I've seen real-life stuff worse than this. Seems like he could have pushed the envelope a little more.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 17, 2010, 07:28:57 pm
Anyone who criticizes this is wrong. This is spot-on.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2010, 08:02:31 pm
Anyone who criticizes this is wrong. This is spot-on.

Agreed. Hence why it was so painful to read.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: jaydub on January 17, 2010, 08:25:33 pm
I thought the YouTube commentary was a bit more cerebral than what I usually see.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 17, 2010, 08:38:11 pm
I'm on facebook far more often than on twitter or youtube?

But holy crap, he nailed facebook.

A lot of facebook is harmless fun but so much of it is a mechanism for false compliments and/or trying to keep a thin line on fuck*ng people you didn't get to fuck in high school or, to a lesser extent, college.

Oh man.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Toaster on January 17, 2010, 09:51:01 pm
This morning I achieved a perfect zen state on fuck*ng people I wanted to fuck in high school.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2010, 09:56:11 pm
What he gets is that Facebook is the place on the internet where there are the kind of people who we used to be able to avoid by going on the internet.

Also, that it is the place for people who are clueless about basic principles of online interaction like 'read what you are commenting on.'

I have to say though that this is not really a subject I particularly desire to read comics about.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: robot_god on January 17, 2010, 11:16:57 pm
What wombat said.  Good strip, but where's the Achewood, huh?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: oball on January 17, 2010, 11:20:20 pm
What he gets is that Facebook is the place on the internet where there are the kind of people who we used to be able to avoid by going on the internet.

I'm not sure why people always say this.  There's an "Ignore" button for friend requests, or are people just that deathly afraid of offending people that they accept every friend request that comes their way?  If someone I had no time for in high school tries to friend me I just click "ignore" and go on my way.  It's not like they get a notification saying "Owen ____ has ignored your friend request!" 

And if you don't have all your privacy settings on maximum that's just asking for trouble.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Toaster on January 17, 2010, 11:27:57 pm
I cannot relate to anything you guys are saying. I loved high school, no one was a jerk to me, and I did not feel at all alienated. And I'm a huge nerd with OCD and bad parents, so I should have been a prime candidate for loner punching bag status. I wonder what went right.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: oball on January 17, 2010, 11:31:29 pm
I loved high school, no one was a jerk to me, and I did not feel at all alienated.

Get off the internet.  Clearly you are supposed to be playing professional football somewhere.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Toaster on January 17, 2010, 11:37:20 pm
Get off the internet.  Clearly you are supposed to be playing professional football somewhere.

I can actually throw a perfect spiral. I'm not kidding.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2010, 11:41:10 pm
I'm not sure why people always say this.  There's an "Ignore" button for friend requests, or are people just that deathly afraid of offending people that they accept every friend request that comes their way?  If someone I had no time for in high school tries to friend me I just click "ignore" and go on my way.  It's not like they get a notification saying "Owen ____ has ignored your friend request!" 

And if you don't have all your privacy settings on maximum that's just asking for trouble.

It's just that you didn't used to have to even click a button to ignore these people. Merely being on the internet used to be enough. Now we have to do something to avoid them, just like in real life. Sure, you can cross the street and pretend you're talking on your cell phone and don't see them, but it was nicer when they were living in another state and it was just never an issue.

Interesting you bring up privacy settings because my experience is that the illusion of privacy on Facebook is what persuades some of those people to participate. But even if you trust Facebook that much, really - if you say something to a room filled with twenty or however many of your friends, you are so positive that none of them will ever repeat it? Someone was just telling me a story yesterday of how she noticed she'd been unfriended by person A, and person B told her "oh yeah, A just posted an update that said she'd unfriended all the bitches on her friends list."
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Dangermoose on January 17, 2010, 11:56:04 pm
What matters to me is that he completely made up "Euphus" but it sounds completely right.  To Onstad English is basically a piano.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 18, 2010, 12:29:28 am
What matters to me is that he completely made up "Euphus" but it sounds completely right.  To Onstad English is basically a piano.

amen.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: TedStriker on January 18, 2010, 03:57:57 am
I will love this strip forever because they mentioned H-E-B in the exact vernacular that his Facebook dwellers would use.

Texas love for tha 'stad.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 18, 2010, 04:05:10 am
It's just that you didn't used to have to even click a button to ignore these people. Merely being on the internet used to be enough. Now we have to do something to avoid them, just like in real life. Sure, you can cross the street and pretend you're talking on your cell phone and don't see them, but it was nicer when they were living in another state and it was just never an issue.

Interesting you bring up privacy settings because my experience is that the illusion of privacy on Facebook is what persuades some of those people to participate. But even if you trust Facebook that much, really - if you say something to a room filled with twenty or however many of your friends, you are so positive that none of them will ever repeat it? Someone was just telling me a story yesterday of how she noticed she'd been unfriended by person A, and person B told her "oh yeah, A just posted an update that said she'd unfriended all the bitches on her friends list."


Given this soupçon of misanthropy you have displayed, I think you don't need the Internet to avoid people. Whom would you avoid? You don't strike me as making a lot of acquaintances in the first place, and with an attitude like that, who would try to pursue your friendship? :)
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Toaster on January 18, 2010, 04:15:51 am
Only imaginary people. ;)
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2010, 02:06:08 pm
It must be lovely to have had a life like Bobby's where every single person he has ever been thrown into contact with was so charming, fascinating and personable that they are worth continuing to take up his time. Or maybe his standards are just low?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: AugustWest on January 18, 2010, 03:23:58 pm
I am anxiously awaiting Onstad's next strip, which, as I understand it, explores "What's up with airline food, anyway."

March can't come soon enough.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 18, 2010, 03:29:57 pm
What happens in March?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: AugustWest on January 18, 2010, 04:21:16 pm
What happens in March?

The next strip.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2010, 04:22:21 pm
Oh, don't be such a cynic. I am confident we'll get one in February.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: side_show on January 18, 2010, 06:07:15 pm
I am anxiously awaiting Onstad's next strip, which, as I understand it, explores "What's up with airline food, anyway."

March can't come soon enough.

This is actually the funniest thing about the strip.  Thanks AW.

Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Drygioni on January 18, 2010, 07:45:32 pm
I thought it was good

There is much less uptake in the UK of Facebook among proper adults though for some reason? Any that do hardly ever use it from my experience.

This American guy with the same rare surname as me added me purely on the basis of surname, which was kinda cute, and it's filled with the stuff that's going on in that strip. He's a cool dude
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 18, 2010, 08:10:09 pm
There is much less uptake in the UK of Facebook among proper adults though for some reason? Any that do hardly ever use it from my experience.

Are you telling me that that episode of The IT Crowd lied to me?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: linnea on January 18, 2010, 08:53:02 pm
Given this soupçon of misanthropy you have displayed, I think you don't need the Internet to avoid people. Whom would you avoid? You don't strike me as making a lot of acquaintances in the first place, and with an attitude like that, who would try to pursue your friendship? :)

Man. Way to be a dick to a stranger, bobby.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: dejavroom on January 19, 2010, 10:44:31 am
thread officially funnier than strip in the excess of seven ding dongs
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 19, 2010, 04:33:23 pm
Man. Way to be a dick to a stranger, bobby.
I dont think they qualify as "strangers"
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: wombat on January 19, 2010, 08:34:40 pm
Bobby was the kind of boy who pulled the girls' pigtails when he thought they were cute.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: theinevitable on January 19, 2010, 09:01:35 pm
This is exactly like this really shitty sketch they did when I went to Second City. It was all like... "don't you hate people who use twitter! hahaha." It was very clearly written by someone who has never used twitter, and does not get how it works.

"how many twitter followers do you have?"
"oh, just my mom and a few of her friends."

Bad comedy really annoys me. Blegh. Especially because a lot of the jokes I didn't like in this show were along the lines of "HOW DARE YOU LIKE/CARE ABOUT SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE/CARE ABOUT!"
like there was one that was the same as the fuck-you friday about people asking you to fill out surveys on the street. Just say "no thanks" and keep walking, there is no need for rage here. these people are on my corner all the time and I just say "sorry, I'm late for class" and keep walking.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: oball on January 19, 2010, 11:12:49 pm
Yeah, 364 days of the year you do that.  But on a Fuck You Friday, you tell them what you really think.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Toaster on January 20, 2010, 12:02:28 am
I never thought to ask before: is every Friday a Fuck You Friday, or is it only some Fridays?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 20, 2010, 02:56:03 am
Hey! (Wow, in my head, that just came out in the voice of Will Ferrell as Harry Carey.)  Hey!  What's the deal with locks on the doors of 24-hour convenience stores those little yellow stars that some people have under their names?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 20, 2010, 03:55:23 am
Hey!  What's the deal with locks on the doors of 24-hour convenience stores those little yellow stars that some people have under their names?
When you've earned the right to ask that question, the answer will reveal itself to you. You're not capable of understanding that knowledge right now.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 20, 2010, 04:11:07 am
When you've earned the right to ask that question, the answer will reveal itself to you. You're not capable of understanding that knowledge right now.

Damn, I wish it were Friday.

Guess I'll just proclaim it Kiss My Ass Tuesday.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: miles on January 20, 2010, 04:12:33 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Chump Change on January 20, 2010, 04:42:28 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 20, 2010, 04:48:01 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Chump Change on January 20, 2010, 05:06:04 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: miles on January 20, 2010, 05:09:39 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: AugustWest on January 20, 2010, 05:11:50 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Chump Change on January 20, 2010, 05:37:02 am
With the right attitude, any Friday can aspire to Fuck You status.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Thomas Pain on January 20, 2010, 05:24:31 pm
Peace on Earth, good will toward young girls. (http://markgerardmiller.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/this-must-not-happen/)

scroll down to about the middle of the post where he cut 'n pastes the you tube comments.  Mark Gerard Miller is my hero!

"I’m so sorry for your lost"

wow.

Mark may have schizophrenic but he seems more interesting to me than most...
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 20, 2010, 05:31:03 pm
Peace on Earth, good will toward young girls. (http://markgerardmiller.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/this-must-not-happen/)

scroll down to about the middle of the post where he cut 'n pastes the you tube comments.  Mark Gerard Miller is my hero!

"I’m so sorry for your lost"

wow.

Mark may have schizophrenic but he seems more interesting to me than most...
"It is agreed: No one must threaten this delightful little lady"
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: Dangermoose on January 21, 2010, 03:34:42 am
I am not sure how to feel about this side effect of the internet that it allows us to peer in on the minds of the genuinely mentally ill. 
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: miles on January 21, 2010, 03:43:53 am
Side effect? I'm pretty sure that's how it got started.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 21, 2010, 04:04:32 am
I simply want to know if A-cap met Mark while at Eastern State Hospital.  http://markgerardmiller.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/stinkfist/
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: miles on January 21, 2010, 04:09:13 am
I simply want to know how many posts you need before your title is Stinkfist.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 21, 2010, 04:12:28 am
I simply want to know how many posts you need before your title is Stinkfist.

Have a refreshing can.
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2010, 05:11:17 am
I simply want to know how many posts you need before your title is Stinkfist.

How many you got?
Title: Re: 17th January 2010 - This comment has been blocked by a decent man
Post by: miles on January 21, 2010, 05:15:27 am
My thanks to you, Dear Leader. I hope I do not live to regret this.