The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2010, 02:43:23 pm

Title: math help
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2010, 02:43:23 pm
5006=1000(1.01)12n

i cant remember how to get to the next step.  im solving for n.

(SFBL-sorry for being lame)
Title: Re: math help
Post by: AugustWest on January 20, 2010, 02:57:48 pm
5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n

5006/1000(1.01)12 = (1.01)n


Does that help?
Title: Re: math help
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2010, 03:12:22 pm
frigg yeah.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: miles on January 21, 2010, 01:21:33 am
Does that help?

No, it does not.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: oball on January 21, 2010, 02:45:31 am
Yep.

5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n would be the case if the original equation were 5006 = 1000(1.01)12+n

In this case you want 5006 = 1000((1.0112)n)

Which would be 5.006 = ~1.127n

I think.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 21, 2010, 04:01:41 am
CCWW.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2010, 04:59:40 am
Yep.

5006 = 1000(1.01)12 (1.01)n would be the case if the original equation were 5006 = 1000(1.01)12+n

In this case you want 5006 = 1000((1.0112)n)

Which would be 5.006 = ~1.127n

I think.

You guys are exactly right and I realized my error earlier this evening.  Sorry dude.  Wish I'd caught it before everybody else did.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: Thomas Pain on January 21, 2010, 05:01:17 am
5006=1000(1.01)^(12n)

like... um

5006^(1/12)= 1000(1.01)^n   right?  something like that... I'm a tryn' to express 12 root or some such

(5006^(1/12))^(1/n)= 1000(1.01)

(whatever)^(1/n)= wutuvu       (too lazy to do the math on those.  who the fnck cares anyway ,right?

(whatever)^(1/n)= wutuvu      and then from here, it's something to do with that thing where recipricoals in exponentials can magically move to somewhere else if reciprocolated...  I forget the details exactly but if you're reading this then you probably know what I mean.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: miles on January 21, 2010, 05:07:37 am
You guys are exactly right and I realized my error earlier this evening.  Sorry dude.  Wish I'd caught it before everybody else did.

Ah, umm, yes. I hope I didn't make it seem like I was saying "that doesn't help because it is incorrect." What I meant to say is "NO WAY THAT SHIT'S INSANE, IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG"

I don't want to give the impression I would be able to to correct an error in a math problem. But good job Oball.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: oball on January 21, 2010, 06:03:48 am
To be fair I can't remember any of that stuff and I had to look up the exponent rules on Wikipedia.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 21, 2010, 06:06:51 am
Shit, when I was in college we looked up our own half assed info on wikipedia.

and we liked it
Title: Re: math help
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2010, 02:31:08 pm
Shit, when I was in college we looked up our own half assed info on wikipedia.

and we liked it

Hell, when I was in college we just wrote a letter to Leibniz and asked him for crib notes.
Title: Re: math help
Post by: Toaster on January 22, 2010, 06:29:41 pm
Hell, when I was in college we just wrote a letter to Leibniz and asked him for crib notes.

Hey, it worked for Newton.

jk, as it were.