The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on January 27, 2010, 02:09:29 pm

Title: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: side_show on January 27, 2010, 02:09:29 pm
What foods do you eat to celebrate special occasions?  Are there things that you only eat on special occasions and rarely on a regular day? 

There's several foods that fall into the traditional and cultural practices of my life, that I deeply enjoy perhaps more because of their specialness and the fact I don't eat them every day.  Roasted Turkey (with mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy), Nachos (ideally with beer), Indian Food (from this one place I always go on special occasions) and sushi (although I love sushi so much that I eat it far more often than the other items noted).  Lobster is also on the list. So is BBQ'ed whole salmon, although that's more related to seasonal availability of good low cost salmon at certain times of the year.  There's also this baking thing, my god mother called them French Fancies - they were these dainties she went to huge amounts of effort and time to make them, and they were so incredible.  Also, I make rad cupcakes, and it's always a celebratory feeling to make, eat and give away cupcakes. 

What about you folk?
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 27, 2010, 07:48:21 pm
sometimes a man has to have a chicken fried steak with white gravy and seasoned home fries and biscuits.

fuck yes!

also, my mom always makes me 5trawberry shortcake for my birthday.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2010, 12:35:33 am
My birthday dinner:

I'm a real meat-and-potatoes girl. Beef tips with gravy, simmered slow all day; real homemade mashed potatoes with heavy cream and all that jazz; egg noodles cooked in beef broth and tossed with melted butter, served over the potatoes and eaten devoured with a spoon.

The spoon is very important; it's a throwback to eating this meal when I was a little kid. Mom makes it once a year, now that we're all carb/fat/calorie conscious.

Traditionally, we eat until we hate ourselves and then slip into diabetic comas. It's a lot like Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: miles on January 28, 2010, 12:51:59 am
Damn. Now that's a meal. And also a diabetic nightmare. Egg noodles over mashed potatoes? Genius!

On the occasions that I'm back home or with family on my birthday, I'm always asked what I want, but the truth is any home cooked meal is celebratory because I never do that for myself. The last cooking I did at home was hard boiled eggs.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2010, 01:25:05 am
This thread has made me realize that I ought to have more celebrations with cake and ice cream. I can't remember the last time I ate both together, and that is a shame.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: theinevitable on January 28, 2010, 03:51:30 am
the traditional birthday meal at my house is home-made tortillas with pork loin, and my mom's awesome salsa. yeahhh.

my mom also makes a really good chocolate cake.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 28, 2010, 04:40:38 am
My wife took a cake-decorating class, and now she makes some kick-ass cakes for birthdays and such.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfool/tags/cake/
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: side_show on January 28, 2010, 04:55:54 am
Sometimes a man has to have a chicken fried steak with white gravy and seasoned home fries and biscuits. I get that maybe once a year. Some McIlhenny's Tabasco is required.

Coincidentally, last night I celebrated my end of employment from a horrible job I hated via Nachos (with two kinds of cheese), and across from me, the husband ordered chicken fried steak with white gravy.  The restaurant calls it "country fried steak" which is an odd thing that often occurs in Canada with chicken fried steak for some reason.  Also, the menu didn't warn that the meal actually included TWO steaks. The husband was full to the point of ill, and left half a steak behind.  The nachos were also a huge serving size.

Today, I had a fantastic sushi lunch with my sister (also to celebrate the end of the accursed job). 
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: Choop on January 28, 2010, 06:24:01 am
it's called country fried steak on that menu because that's the real name for it, at least down here where it comes from.

gravy on peas on noodles on mashed potatoes was a thing (not a Thing) at our house growing up. plus corn and bread. this was weekly at least. when i behaved we would get what we called "creamed chicken and biscuits" which was like biscuits and gravy but the gravy was thin and with chicken. corn or boiled carrots on the side.

nowadays i try to leave the carbs and calories for the celebratory occasions. prime rib and yorkshire pudding this past christmas. it isn't trimming my waistline, but at least i've stabilized.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2010, 04:49:16 am
the husband ordered chicken fried steak with white gravy.  The restaurant calls it "country fried steak" which is an odd thing that often occurs in Canada with chicken fried steak for some reason.

You see that in the states sometimes too.  I think that's a modern day variant.  My guess is they fear the chicken in the name may be too confusing to some folks.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: jaydub on January 29, 2010, 04:52:21 am
"Wait, is it chicken...or steak?  I'm a vegan, you see."
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 29, 2010, 05:04:30 am
To celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and the final closing of the mess that was her grandfather's estate, we did all you can eat sushi.

She loves the hell out of sushi, lemme tell you.

And I hate seafood but love the general use of spices in Japanese cooking so, like, the sushi chef assumed I was a vegetarian.

Which would not be further from the truth but for the purposes of sushi is kinda valid.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2010, 07:58:58 am
"Wait, is it chicken...or steak?  I'm a vegan, you see."

It's steak that's fried like chicken.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: jaydub on January 29, 2010, 05:00:08 pm
It's steak that's fried like chicken.
Ya.  I was being a modern, confused consumer.  For laffs.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2010, 06:19:41 pm
Ya.  I was being a modern, confused consumer.  For laffs.

Oh sorry.  I guess now the chicken fried egg is on my face.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: jaydub on January 29, 2010, 06:49:58 pm
Oh sorry.  I guess now the chicken fried egg is on my face.
(http://www.carboblog.com/site/Portals/0/farm/6706paula-deen.jpg)
Approves.
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: side_show on January 29, 2010, 06:56:05 pm
Ha ha! See one of my best friends in from Alabama and thinks of Paula Deen as a sort of mother figure.  My husband hates Paula Deen's accent though, so I am constantly defending Paula Deen in some odd misdirected loyalty to my friend.  "It's chicken fried butter, y'all!"
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: Choop on January 29, 2010, 07:26:28 pm
don't that just sayownd dilleeshus yow
Title: Re: Celebratory Food Stuffs
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 29, 2010, 08:14:05 pm
don't that just sayownd dilleeshus yow

canned for hilariously radical phonetic representation, yawll.