The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: misterhaan on December 03, 2003, 06:38:34 am
-
the coolest thing about kfc is that colonel sanders looks really funny when you look at his tie as if it were a stick body . . . actually that's pretty much the only cool thing about kfc.
-
the coolest thing about kfc is that colonel sanders looks really funny when you look at his tie as if it were a stick body . . . actually that's pretty much the only cool thing about kfc.
I live just outside the town where Colonel Sanders spent the last 20 years or so of his life. His wife had a restaurant called "The Colonel's Lady" on the edge of town.
I'm just sayin' that's all.
-
Fun Fact: I had the privilege of dining at the original KFC in none other than Salt Lake City Utah.
~Paul
-
Fun Fact: I had the privilege of dining at the original KFC in none other than Salt Lake City Utah.
~Paul
Being originally from that fair city (Ha!), I have to point out just how sad that KFC is, especially given how run-down the surrounding neighborhood has become. It's no wonder that Pepsico doesn't heavily advertise their first location. Although it does say "Worlds First KFC" on the outside of the building, the font is small enough that there's barely time to notice as you drive by.
But at least it has more character than most KFC's, and for some it's even located in a reasonable facsimile of hell....
-
I think perhaps I have dined at the shittiest KFC. Also located in what would be charitably called a 'dodgy' neighborhood, this one had lexan 1" thick from the counter to the ceiling. You placed your order and there was a turntable in the lexan, like a revolving door. Money went on it and spun around; food was placed on it and spun back.
It was the most depressing KFC ever. And scary too. I think it was in Chicago on the SW side.
-
The KFC in Chester, PA opens at around 5:30 AM and serves breakfast. It's in what is often ruled the "most impoverished" city in the country (just 6 miles south of Philadelphia!) and that bitch is PACKED every morning, yo.
-
That set up is pretty common at gas stations and take-out places in DC.
The Pollo Campero by my work often has police around to make sure the 2 hour+ line stays civil.
-
KFC stories, is it?
Back around the time when Mrs. West and I were married, she worked for KFC ('87 to '89 or so). She had a restaurant managment background and had gotten a job as a mystery shopper for the company, which was stilled called Kentucky Fried Chicken back then.
She would be on the road for 10 - 12 days straight. She'd get on a plane, fly into a city, rent a car and drive to every KFC within a 50 mile radius. She'd go to anywhere from 12 to 20 KFC's in a day, incognito. She'd go in and buy a meal to go. She'd have a stopwatch in her purse to time 'em and would be giving things the ol' hairy eyeball for cleanliness, suggestive selling, customer service, et al.
She'd get the 3 piece meal, or the Chicken Littles or the nuggets or whatever she'd ordered, take it back out to her rented Tempo:Ford:Gray drive around the corner and lab down on the meal. Thermometer in the chicken, drop of soda on the refractometer to test the syrup level, review the slaw, check the taters 'n' gravy. Fill out the form then on to the next KFC in town.
It was a weird job.
But, it worked out pretty well for us at the time. When we got married I had just started law school, so I didn't have a ton of time to hang out and do stuff. Her being on the road was probably a good thing at the time. Also, our relationship has always involved giving each other plenty of space.
We still have a box full of maps in the basement of every damn city in the U-fuckin'-nited States. She got HELLA frequent flier miles which enabled us to take a couple of nice trips despite the fact that I was an impoverished student. We still have some of those miles today. And I got to ride along with her on a few trips, which was just weird. You ain't seen a trashed out rental car until you've seen a rental car with a backseat full of 20 KFC leavings.
Oh yeah, and one of her bosses was one of the only two living people (the Colonel being the third, dead person) who knew the secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices.
-
Oh yeah, and one of her bosses was one of the only two living people (the Colonel being the third, dead person) who knew the secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices.
I'd read (http://home.att.net/~Storytellers/wpound.html) that it just basically boiled down to salt, pepper, and MSG. William Poundstone (http://www.williampoundstone.net/) is the coolest fuck*ng writer you've never heard of.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that that was one cool story.
-
Also, the first link above (excellent taste, St Z) goes to Matt Ruff's website, and if you haven't read at least "Sewer, Gas and Electric" make sure Santa knows you want it.
It's awesome.
-
Also, the first link above (excellent taste, St Z) goes to Matt Ruff's website, and if you haven't read at least "Sewer, Gas and Electric" make sure Santa knows you want it.
It's awesome.
I need to break out my copy of "Sewer, Gas, and Electric" and actually read it. Back in middle school, I was stone in love with "Fool on the Hill," and I suspect it has heavily influenced my college experience. (Moving into Tolkien House next year if all goes well.)
Anyway, KFC-wise... I recently saw a video on the operation of KFC's in Japan. I have a desperate desire to go to one of them; they look very out there for a KFC.
-
Sewer, Gas and Electric. Quite a frikkin' book. Fool on the Hill never appealed to me as much.
Has anyone read Set This House In Order? I bought it shortly before my daughter was born - because I was so excited to be holding a new Matt Ruff book, and also because I'm an idiot - and have yet to make it past page two.
-
That reminds of the people Coke employs to go to restaurants and order Pepsi just to make sure the waiter says, "is Coke okay?"
-
Zartan, I wholeheartedly agree with you about William Poundstone. I've come to realize that my perception of the world was strongly influenced by the fact that I read Big and Bigger Secrets obcessively as a child.