The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: AugustWest on January 28, 2010, 07:01:31 pm

Title: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2010, 07:01:31 pm
J.D. Salinger is dead at 91. (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/jd-salinger-91-is-dead/)

I was never a huge fan of Catcher, but I loved just about everything else he wrote.  So long, Jerry.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 28, 2010, 07:28:33 pm
I read "Catcher" way too late in my teen years than to appreciate it the way some people had.

For a young adult literature class my senior year of high school.

I think if I had read it at 12 or 13, it might'a struck me with more force?

Instead, at that age, my dad gave me a dog-eared copy of "Breakfast of Champions" and... yeah.

That was all she wrote there.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 28, 2010, 08:15:48 pm
"It's not my fault you wouldn't play catch with your father!"  --Terence Mann, played by James Earl Jones in "Field of Dreams."  In the book, it was JD Salinger, but he complained, so they made a fictional author in the movie.

Also, a friend on Facebook commented on Salinger, and someone followed that with "Part of the American Cannon."  Which made me want to reply "Ka-BOOM!"  I didn't, though.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: Mr Trout on January 28, 2010, 09:37:10 pm
I absolutely loved Nine Stories, and to a lesser extent Frannie and Zooey. Next to Vonnegut i'd say he was my favorite modern day American author.

I feel guilty because one of my first thoughts was regretting not adding him to my deadpool list in another forum a couple weeks ago when I thought about how old he was getting.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: jaydub on January 28, 2010, 10:02:51 pm
"People that you thought were dead were still alive but are now dead for $200, Alex."

I hope he had a good one.

Related topic (http://www.abevigoda.com/ffb.php)
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: jaydub on January 28, 2010, 10:41:32 pm
"People that you thought were dead were still alive but are now dead for $200, Alex."

Ash, please get out of my head:

Quote from: me on Facebook thread
Huh - chalk him under "guys I thought were dead that weren't, but are now".
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: theinevitable on January 28, 2010, 10:45:54 pm
we read Nine Stories for my introductory fiction writing class, and I really really liked it.

I was given Franny and Zooey at some point and never read it. hm.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2010, 11:10:37 pm
I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: jay-ell on January 29, 2010, 12:50:33 am
I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.

That is exactly my experience with Shakespeare.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: Drygioni on January 29, 2010, 03:05:05 am
I read "Catcher" way too late in my teen years than to appreciate it the way some people had.

For a young adult literature class my senior year of high school.

I think if I had read it at 12 or 13, it might'a struck me with more force?

Instead, at that age, my dad gave me a dog-eared copy of "Breakfast of Champions" and... yeah.

That was all she wrote there.

nvm
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2010, 03:53:42 am
I absolutely loved Nine Stories, and to a lesser extent Frannie and Zooey.

That's exactly what I'd say.

Quote
Next to Vonnegut i'd say he was my favorite modern day American author.

This too, or at least of their era.  Vonnegut unqualified. 
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 29, 2010, 03:57:20 am
Quote from: Drygioni
nvm

Night Vision Monocular?
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2010, 03:59:47 am
I read all his books many times when I was younger but now my recollection is that his characters were a big whiny bunch of drama queens.

So?  Dostoyevsky wrote about a cold-blooded murderer.  Being a murderer is worse than being a whiny drama queen, no?

He had great insight into the characters of those whiny drama queens.  He conveyed their activities with skill and style but without flash or pretense.

Your dang second favorite writer sucks!
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2010, 12:53:39 pm
Being a murderer is more interesting than being a whiny drama queen, though.
Title: Re: A Perfect Day for Bananagiraffe
Post by: Drygioni on January 31, 2010, 02:55:31 am
LMF you boring bastard look aty ou

'o i wasn't areading SALINGER at that age I was more into VON NEGUT'

WELL GET YOU

You are obsioubley SOOO superior. SALinger isn't amy favourite author, VOnnegut is, but you just seem like youa're have to constantly name drop. What's . the . point.