The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 30, 2010, 02:54:53 am

Title: Axe Cop
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2010, 02:54:53 am
One day, a cop found the perfect fireman axe at the scene of a crime. On that day, he became Axe Cop. (http://axecop.com/index.php/page/episode_1/)

written by a 5-year old, illustrated by his 20-something comic illustrator brother.


I thought about it, and I do not really care whether this is actually written by a 5 year old. It is awesome regardless, because I do believe that this is what a 5 year old wants in a comic.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2010, 03:18:13 am
That is the best thing I've read in forever.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 30, 2010, 06:41:14 am
im bookmarking that shit and giving you a can for bringing it to my attention.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 30, 2010, 02:28:28 pm
OK, the first one was cute, but I am not sure I can read the rest, because I want to find where he lives and go over there and slap him upside the head, because why the fuck such a fucked up excessively complicated website design? Either I can try to navigate the main page with the comic sliding all over the place making me feel ill, or I can click and wait for a static version to take hours to load. What is he trying to prove?

Seriously, I have typed this message, took breaks to listen to NPR and drink tea, and come back to post this, and the second page still hasn't loaded.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 30, 2010, 03:27:12 pm
why the fuck such a fucked up excessively complicated website design?

amen
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 30, 2010, 05:25:43 pm
I have two comments.

A.  That website design is totally fucked up.

B.  I'll reserve my second comment until the rest of the pages load in a couple of hours.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 30, 2010, 07:28:52 pm
I highly recommend the "ask Axe Cop" comics, which do not have the same problems.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 04:49:06 am
Is the ridiculous navigation, like, a conscious choice, maybe?

To get us into the loopy head of a fictional five year old boy, the whole thing is rendered in shaky cam?

Perhaps I am giving too much credit.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 31, 2010, 05:06:42 am
Is the ridiculous navigation, like, a conscious choice, maybe?

To get us into the loopy head of a fictional five year old boy, the whole thing is rendered in shaky cam?

Perhaps I am giving too much credit.

the 5 year old boy is not fictional.

also, if you watch the youtube video of the dude and his brother having a writing session, its cute that the kid says ah-doe-CAH-doe, instead of avocado.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 05:19:25 am
Well, okay, if you wanna believe that's not a put-on, that's fine.

My general question, though, I do wonder if that is bad design to create a vibe, y'know.

Because... I cannot imagine anything other reason to design the site that poorly.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 05:44:15 am
Because... I cannot imagine anything other reason to design the site that poorly.

It's a very elaborate design.  He probably thinks it's frikkin' awesome!
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 01:45:54 pm
Actually, the blog says "we are going to do something about the user interface," so maybe there is hope.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 03:28:01 pm
It's a very elaborate design.  He probably thinks it's frikkin' awesome!

Actually, the blog says "we are going to do something about the user interface," so maybe there is hope.

Okay, let me amend my statement.  He thought it was frikkin' awesome until virtually everyone who visited the site told him it was shit.

Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 03:33:22 pm
B.  I'll reserve my second comment until the rest of the pages load in a couple of hours.

B.  Just because so much of today's popular media seems like it could have been created by a five year old doesn't somehow make it good when it's actually a five year old doing the creating.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 04:17:35 pm
I guess that's what I think is funny about it - he has such a limited range of plot devices that it's like a commentary on the limited range of the popular culture he learned them from.  They're so obvious when you subtract the slightly better grasp of reality that a Hollywood adult brings to a story, and replace it with the sort of thing that comes from the mind of a five year old. I do think it's very likely to get old after a while, though, for the same reason. 

The one of those devices though that surprised me and made me feel like an old person who grew up when we still had buggy whips - the "tryouts." When I was five we had *****s and superheros but I had no more idea of a 'tryout' than a 'resume.'
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 04:48:50 pm
Also, some of the vocabulary is too advanced for a five year old which lends creedence to LFM's postulation that it's fake.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 05:39:34 pm
I don't think it's a fake at all. My point was that now that there are dozens of shows like "American Idol," it's a brave new world where every five year old knows what an audition is.

I can't imagine why anyone would think it was a fake. There are millions of five year olds in the world, full of ideas like these. It's a lot easier to find a five year old and pick his brain than it is to make up stuff that sounds like a five year old. Why do extra work when you can get child labor to do it for you?
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 09:14:13 pm
I am of the opinion that if an unusual claim is made on the internet, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim not on the person calling "bullshit".

Bullshit until proven not bullshit. This has served me well for the 14 years I have had the webtubes in my wordbox.

I am trying to be a less cynical man but skepticism, if it does not bleed into cynicism, is a more useful tool than ever these days.

Those are concepts that are beyond most five year olds and function with a complexity that is beyond most five year olds with a conception of popular culture that is much more that of a child of the Seventies or Eighties than a child of The Final Century.

A five year old having these ideas is faintly possible but hardly likely so, for me, it is bullshit until I see a LOT of evidence to the contrary.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2010, 09:29:23 pm
I haven't looked at the site in question yet, but as the parent of a nearly-five-year-old who is, by all accounts, noticeably behind other five-year-olds in verbal skillls and social/cultural awareness, I am still consistently surprised by how much he is able to interpret the world around him and creatively express new ideas which build on things that, when it comes right down to it, he has no business knowing.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 09:46:20 pm
Of course I totally agree with your position on unusual claims on the internet, but I don't see what's unusual about the claim. Have you ever known a five year old? These are exactly five year old sorts of stories. He has a simplistic notion of story form that obviously derives from the kind of stuff that little boys watch. He has an vague grasp of the concepts used in the same sort of stories - for example, he gets that that improbable abilities are superpowers but doesn't understand what kind of improbable abilities make sense - that shooting socks out of your hands is not actually a useful weapon. He has seen a bunch of shows where people audition for things and kind of sort of followed the adult explanation of them. He has a lot of imagination but little enough real-world knowledge so none of it adds up to anything that makes any sense.

He doesn't claim that they're verbatim, by the way - he obviously does some editing, like anyone who interviews people for a living. It's a cute idea and he's a good artist, so it works, for a little while at least. If we started to get some long story arcs with subplots and character development, sure, that would call for skepticism. But I don't see any particular complexity in these stories that makes this hard to believe.

Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 10:15:41 pm
I guess that much of my beef/doubt is with the cultural concepts being put forth.

The general conception of a police officer, of a superhero, of a vigilante, what they do and how they interact... it feels like these are the ways someone of my age, give or take five years, would have seen them as a child, not so much a child of now. The television influences, especially.

The idea of what a cop is in this strip is assuredly that of a child growing up in the 80s watching syndicated cop shows from the 70s, the idea of what a superhero is and how they come together to fight is veddy veddy Superfriends-era cartoon show as opposed to superhero cartoons today. The way the sidekick cop just keeps changing into whatever he touches feels entirely like the early Ninja Turtles cartoon logic of how people get superpowers, a cartoon show that was just at the end of my childhood and right in the wheelhouse of my younger brother.

The way the heroes turn out to be brothers that forgot they are brothers is very much in the vein of that "everyone knows everyone" logic of... He-Man and She-Ra being siblings, the Joker has to have killed Bruce Wayne's parents... kind of fantastic story telling of the middle 80s through the early 90s.

It all just kind of smacks of the cliches and storyforms of a child who grew up on the independent superstations playing reruns of 70s television, underproduced cartoons selling cereals unashamed to be bad for you and... like... profoundly dumb syndicated fare like "Small Wonder" and "Out of This World". WPIX, WWOR, WSBK, WGN, WTBS, before they were all slowly absorbed by failed 5th Network experiments and lost their individual flair over the course of the 1990s.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 10:45:18 pm
I don't think it's fake per se, but there were bits of dialog that seemed too advanced for a five year old.  So maybe the ideas were the kids, but he was given help expressing them.

I'd give you specific examples, but that would take too long waiting for the page to load.

Edit:  Okay, I just saw there was another post where you explained there was some editing involved so nevermind.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 10:46:38 pm
Anyway, my original complaint was and is, if this was written by an adult I think we all would agree it was trash.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 10:56:29 pm
Yeah, that's the ultimate problem, isn't it?

The more constructed it turns out to be, the less charming it is.

Even if there's a grain of truth in there, like, there is an actual kid saying "okay, now he's an avocado and... now he's a dinosaur" and giving him very rough ideas while there's someone else beating those swords into a ploughshare of a story, it is somehow a lot less interesting than if there really was a dude just taking dictation and drawing comic strips from said dictation.

It bothers the HELL out of me, actually, how much the "real-life" backstory of the creator and the creative process can affect my appreciation of the resulting work but often it does. I don't WANT it to, it's not really intellectually honest to let it affect my perception but it does.

Jay Leno is becomes even less funny as we discover more and more what a weasel he is.

Brett Favre's constant regular season successes and last-second failings become more entertaining as we discover more and more what a cartoonish narcissist he is.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Choop on January 31, 2010, 11:04:12 pm
you people could overthink a plate of beans
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 11:19:54 pm
I'm sure the kid makes up a lot of the dialogue. Seriously, LFM, have you never played with a five year old even for a little while ever? You ought to try it sometime. Also while we are at it, you do know that when you read something in the newspaper presented as a Q&A format, it's not a verbatim transcript, right? And that 'reality' shows are edited from a zillion hours of tape so that they look like there is a story?

And Paul, you are right, but the point is that we know it's a five year old so it's cute. No one is pretending he is a literary genius. 



Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 11:28:11 pm
Quote from: Choop
you people could overthink a plate of beans

We talkin' ranch-style? Boston-style?

Campbells or Bush's? Heinz? We talkin' vegetarian without such as the little clot of bacon-fat to serve as the queen bean?

We talkin' Canuck-style with maple syrup as opposed to the New England molasses or Southern brown sugar traditions?

What are we talkin' about here?
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2010, 11:30:41 pm
naah, beans are better served in a bowl.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 11:35:14 pm
And Paul, you are right, but the point is that we know it's a five year old so it's cute. No one is pretending he is a literary genius. 

I don't know about that.  I think it's being presented as an accomplished work.  They are selling merchandise and everything.  And since that's the way it's being presented, that's the way I am being forced to judge it.  
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2010, 11:36:32 pm
you people could overthink a plate of beans

A good pot of beans (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4256747307/) requires some thought.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 31, 2010, 11:48:26 pm
Actually, one of my best friends from college out here does exactly that, he's an assistant producer in charge of the post-production story editing on lower-budget reality shows, over-seeing the process of hacking all the footage of somewhat-slutty ladies pretending to be REALLY-slutty ladies so that they can live inside the picture box... hacking all that together into something of a cohesive narrative.

But... y'know... he doesn't care all that much for the medium of reality teevee, he'd rather be writing post-modern sitcoms, he just happens to also be a person who is both a good writer AND a good editor so that shared skill-set pays the bills in a medium like fake-reality teevee where the half of the writing happens during the editing process.

Anyway. My point is... I don't care for reality television either. I prefer my entertainment to be honest about the level to which it is fictional or non-fictional, be it a movie where everyone admits that this was all written by a lady or a dude or... like... a documentary where all the things happened spontaneously but everyone admits that they were strung together for an ideological or narrative purpose.

But in reality teevee, the only extent to which anything is "real" is that the people pretend not to be actors and they're given scenarios to work off of instead of scripts so that they do not have to pay the writers their proper guild monies and do not have to pay the actors anything other than room, board and 15 minutes of fame.

And so too in this comic. If there is some kid saying "avocado" or "unicorn" to an artist while he is actually doing most of the writing, it is still disengenuous and off-putting to say that the child is "writing it"... at least for my tastes, anyway.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: jay-ell on February 01, 2010, 12:31:10 am
Somebody should email the older brother and direct him to this thread so he can answer our questions.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 01, 2010, 12:33:01 am
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiCwmolnYw) should give you's more insight.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: theinevitable on February 01, 2010, 02:16:51 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miv-ZEmwtVg

this is why I do not doubt that a small child could have come up with these plotlines.

But also, I do not really care. I think it is funny.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Mr Trout on February 01, 2010, 02:32:14 am
I really don't care for reality TV at all, however I simply could not stop watching Jerset Shore. It made me feel dirty, but those people were almost like aliens and I could never turn it off if it came on.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Chump Change on February 01, 2010, 03:00:42 am
I don't know about that.  I think it's being presented as an accomplished work.  They are selling merchandise and everything.  And since that's the way it's being presented, that's the way I am being forced to judge it.  

"Our gun bill is really high."

edit: Also, if you watch the 'creative process' video you can see that it is mostly him asking the kid "And then what happened?" This five year old boy is not turning out full storyboards with dialogue, guys.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Drygioni on February 01, 2010, 04:13:29 am
you people could overthink a plate of beans

This

Bloody hell
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 01, 2010, 04:23:29 am
I really love beans. And I appreciate Paul's pictures and recipes, even though the baked beans and cornbread I've been making once or twice a week are vegan.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: robot_god on February 01, 2010, 05:34:33 am
God damn now I want some beans but I am full of cookies.  Shoulda never quit cigarettes.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 01, 2010, 05:44:12 am
The answer is both obvious and self-reflexive, godot-bot.

Go look at some Axe Cop strips, get nauseous from the shaky-cam thing, throw up the cookies and then eat some beans!
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: dejavroom on February 01, 2010, 11:45:25 am
joining late but - maybe it would be exactly 15 times better if the kid itself was drawing it? you know, to add to the cute thing? right now the art just kills it a bit, I think. I have some comics that my nephew made when he was like ten or something that are very funny precisely because the pairing drawing/story is so awkward and yet cutey...
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 01, 2010, 02:36:40 pm
you people could overthink a plate of beans

God YES

no wonder trolls love you aspietards so much
you're like rain man after he snorted an eight ball
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: dejavroom on February 01, 2010, 02:55:15 pm
this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Chump Change on February 01, 2010, 09:38:59 pm
joining late but - maybe it would be exactly 15 times better if the kid itself was drawing it? you know, to add to the cute thing? right now the art just kills it a bit, I think. I have some comics that my nephew made when he was like ten or something that are very funny precisely because the pairing drawing/story is so awkward and yet cutey...

If you want a comic written and drawn by a 5-10 year old, it's not that hard to find a 5-10 year old.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 01, 2010, 09:48:57 pm
If you want a comic written and drawn by a 5-10 year old, it's not that hard to find a 5-10 year old.

I thought the death squads made them a relatively rare find nowadays.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: jaydub on February 02, 2010, 12:18:26 am
Maybe in DC.  You guys are ahead of the curve.  I hear they kept Strom Thurmond going on the blood of preadolescents.
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2010, 08:33:52 pm
interview with the creators
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/02/02/axe-cop-the-interview/ (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/02/02/axe-cop-the-interview/)
Title: Re: Axe Cop
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2010, 12:39:30 am
His other work (http://www.slgbiz.com/Chumble_spuzz_1E.pdf) however is pretty dang funny.