The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jaydub on February 01, 2010, 06:53:22 pm

Title: Truth in advertising?
Post by: jaydub on February 01, 2010, 06:53:22 pm
I'm wondering how Nextag would carry through on the implied promise

(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/bodyad.jpg)
Title: Re: Truth in advertising?
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 07:37:14 pm
Did you click??
Title: Re: Truth in advertising?
Post by: jaydub on February 01, 2010, 10:13:34 pm
Heck no - but I suspect its a little advertising gimmick tied to some google search terms I did while noodling with the pet gems thing - "grams carbon human body" or somesuch (9.5% by mass, apparently).  I think the program just took my search terms, parsed them somehow and dropped it into "Best value for <x> <y>."  If I had been looking for giraffe placenta it would have tried to hook me up.
Title: Re: Truth in advertising?
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 11:12:08 pm
Yes, indeed. But how could you resist finding out whether they actually had any search results for it?

the Pet Gems thing was a Google ad in the first place but I can't recall if there was an entertaining reason it gave it to me. Sometimes they are amusingly off base, which I find reassuring. Obviously there is really no one at Google reading my Gmail.