The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Thomas Pain on February 08, 2010, 11:43:40 pm

Title: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Thomas Pain on February 08, 2010, 11:43:40 pm
http://www.cwgp.org/gurewitch_and_onstad.php

appears to be in Rochester New York
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: robot_god on February 09, 2010, 12:45:53 am
Yeah.  I'd go but it would be like an eight hour drive just to get there.  They can't be that interesting.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 09, 2010, 02:29:41 am
Rochester is... maybe the most depressing place on Earth.

At least where I grew up (two and a half to three hours east of Rochester) even though it is economically ravaged and rusting to the ground, there were only ever maybe 15,000 people there and before the eastern edge of the Rust Belt ate it up and spit it out, it was a picturesque little New Englandesque town and, y'know, the mountains and fields are still beautiful and stuff, some of the great old buildings are still up and so on.

Little Falls is mostly depressing because of the people and the smalltown poverty they live in, all 4500 people and like 15 bars for those 4500 people.

But Rochester, man, you go there and you think "holy crap, this... this was probably a big city once before every employer of consequence left."

All flat and paved over and ugly and empty. Only reaspn there weren't tumbleweed was it was too damn cold.

I only spent three days there, shooting a short film in college and we needed to rent out a minor-league wrestling arena, Rochester having the closest one to 'Cuse but...

Holy God. The despair was fuck*ng palpable.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 09, 2010, 04:23:43 am
according to twitter, onstrad is in chicago now.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Choop on February 09, 2010, 04:46:23 am
i have family in glens falls (the home of the world's best chili dog) so i interviewed for a job a few years ago in rochester. flew up, cabbed to the office, cabbed back, flew home. the weather was enough to inform my decision.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 09, 2010, 04:48:40 am
The Glens Falls-Lake George area is also the ancestral homeland of both Rachel Ray and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

To me, though, it is the home of The Great Escape themepark, the nearest rollercoasters to my place of birth.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Choop on February 09, 2010, 07:10:02 am
do you know dirty john's in south glens falls? if not, go to there. order two for yourself and one for me.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Drygioni on February 10, 2010, 01:24:07 pm
Rochester is... maybe the most depressing place on Earth.

Good god man this is not the first time I will say this SORT OUT THE fuck*ng ELLIPSES. That short sentence became impossibly painful to read. Are you missing a word out? I doubt it. You may be being colloquial in your typing but if anyone I know spoke like that, with a pause in the middle of a perfectly normal sentence, they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.

It's a shame this works me up so much because the rest of your post was very nicely written, very evocative of the rather depressing failed industrial town vibe. Britain's currently attempting to regenerate nearly all of the thousands of places ravaged by centralism, Brutalist architecture and the development of shopping centres but I doubt some places will ever truly feel like living, breathing settlements ever again.

To get back to the point I would love to see Mr Onstad if he ever came to England but I doubt the fanbase here would make it economically viable. Maybe he can come here on holiday again.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Choop on February 10, 2010, 02:14:28 pm
don't worry judy, eventually the board will run out of ellipses again. we just won't place a re-order for more.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: AugustWest on February 10, 2010, 03:05:25 pm
they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.


You may find yourself... with another tiny can.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Dangermoose on February 10, 2010, 06:08:44 pm
Can't... lift... arm... or... speak... at... normal... rate... (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F13.html)
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2010, 06:47:42 pm
You may be being colloquial in your typing but if anyone I know spoke like that, with a pause in the middle of a perfectly normal sentence, they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.

I was going to suggest, that he could, in fact, also be, Ira Glass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oHX96eJ5GI), but his pauses are more, you know, like commas.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: jaydub on February 10, 2010, 09:54:45 pm
Good God, JL.  What a painful interview that was. 
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 10, 2010, 10:15:34 pm
I used to be a lot worse, is all I can really say in my own defense.

In film school, I went through a period of obsessively trying to master naturalistic dialogue structure and, as they say of milk and yogurt, time makes fools of us all.

It's a bit like my lapsing in and out of Anglo-Canadian spellings, I guess.

I assure you that it is not a conscious pretense but I also grant you that it probably gets old when I'm not watching out for it.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 10, 2010, 10:32:08 pm
I just imagine you speaking with those long pauses. It's not that big of a deal.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Drygioni on February 10, 2010, 11:44:57 pm
It's alright mate, I'm just a cock really
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Dangermoose on February 11, 2010, 02:44:05 am
It's alright mate, I'm just a... cock really

FTFY
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: jay-ell on February 11, 2010, 09:52:14 pm
My childhood best friend -- with whom I am still in contact --

(however inconsistent that contact may be)

 -- uses ellipses...and dashes --

and odd
   spacing --

because she thinks --

apparently --

that she is...

Emily Dickenson.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2010, 09:58:18 pm
I used to use more ellipses when writing fiction until I noticed that when I was reading fiction, nearly every time a writer used ellipses, it was a bad sentence that annoyed me. So I try to use them VERY sparingly now.

I also have a tendency to use too many dashes in my other writing, partly as a way around the fact that certain of my editors object to any slightly complicated sentence. But one of them finally smacked me down about it (nicely) and I am much more concious of it and careful only to use them when I can't think of any other way out.

I have no idea whether messageboard posts count as fiction or nonfiction so I don't know which bad tendency I might be not paying enough attention to here.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Drygioni on February 11, 2010, 10:39:03 pm
I have no idea whether messageboard posts count as fiction or nonfiction so I don't know which bad tendency I might be not paying enough attention to here.

Non-fiction, I am not a real person so.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: jaydub on February 11, 2010, 11:15:36 pm
My childhood best friend -- with whom I am still in contact --

(however inconsistent that contact may be)

 -- uses ellipses...and dashes --

and odd
   spacing --

because she
thinks --

apparently --

that
she is...

Emily Dickenson.
emendo gratis
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Dangermoose on February 11, 2010, 11:17:30 pm
Dashes are alright when used judiciously or if you were Jack Kerouac, and even he isn't anymore.

What I hate is when people are careless about them and start a clause with a dash, then end it with a comma.  The hell!
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 14, 2010, 04:47:11 pm
http://www.cwgp.org/gurewitch_and_onstad.php

appears to be in Rochester New York

What's the panel called? "How to succeed at webcomics by never updating"?
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Limmo on February 15, 2010, 06:12:35 pm
canned
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 15, 2010, 07:21:30 pm
If I knew I could sustain a family and own a home by drawing cats once every ten days I would have taken more art classes in college.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 15, 2010, 09:42:31 pm
If I knew I could sustain a family and own a home by drawing cats once every ten days I would have taken more art classes in college.

based on his current business model/schedule, if onstrad would update every 10 days, he could afford in excess of 3 families and 5 homes.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 15, 2010, 10:31:18 pm
based on his current schedule, if onstrad would update every 10 days, he could afford in excess of 3 families and 5 homes.

And if he put just ONE mp3 of his butt on the internet, he could even double that.
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Limmo on February 16, 2010, 09:06:24 pm
is he still sitting at his drawing board? 
Title: Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 16, 2010, 10:41:05 pm
is he still sitting at his drawing board? 
Dude webcomics are really hard, give the man some time for his creative process to work.