The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on February 18, 2010, 10:57:59 pm

Title: mayonnaise
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2010, 10:57:59 pm
Can we please give it up for mayonnaise people?  Add it to the dry - the turkey breast, the tuna, etc.  and you have a pleasure sandwich.  Or if you're like me, add it to almost anything eatable and the foodstuff tastes better. 

One of my favorites:  french fries with real, whole egg mayo and lots of pepper.  Is so good.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2010, 11:24:35 pm
Mayo is my favorite salad dressing.  Salads are a treat with mayonnaise dressing.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2010, 11:26:31 pm
One of my favorites:  french fries with real, whole egg mayo and lots of pepper.  Is so good.

Something like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3890553833/)?
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: jaydub on February 18, 2010, 11:31:52 pm
The only time we have mayo in the house is when I go shopping.

I feel so alone
:'(
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Drygioni on February 19, 2010, 12:27:50 am
Mayo is wonderful. Big fat chips and mayonnaise is absolutely fucktacular.

It also goes well with cheese on toast and giraffe fingers.

Absolutely wonderful.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2010, 12:33:01 am

 giraffe fingers.


oh my.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Drygioni on February 19, 2010, 01:27:29 am
oh my.

*hooves, apologies
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2010, 01:29:13 am
Y'know what's better than mayonnaise?

Home made mayonnaise.

My grandmother used to make it pretty often, so now when I make it it's like tasty nostalgia time.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: jay-ell on February 19, 2010, 03:37:31 am
Mayo on corn dogs FTW.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2010, 04:12:03 am
I keep meaning to make my own mayo and keep not doing it. I suck so much. I even bought eggs last week for the first time in my life.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 19, 2010, 04:57:07 am
Must I be the lone voice of opposition?  So be it.

Mayo is like putting pure fat on your sandwich.  Bleah.  Give me mustard any day.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: miles on February 19, 2010, 05:01:19 am
I even bought eggs last week for the first time in my life.

Really?
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 19, 2010, 05:06:38 am
for me, ranch dressing is the new mayo.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2010, 05:22:21 am
Really?

Yup. In the past when I used eggs it was because my SO had purchased them and I was throwing one or two into some fried rice or something.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 19, 2010, 07:21:40 am
Mayo is the opposite of pizza.

Good mayo is great but, holy crap, bad mayo is fuck*ng awful.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: lprkn on February 19, 2010, 07:28:00 am
Mayonnaise: The White Man's Poison (http://www.littlemanwhatnow.com/2007/06/mayonnaise-white-mans-poison.html)
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Lister on February 19, 2010, 09:35:51 am
I have spoken of my love for Guthrie's before.  But now I have their secret (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/77/Guthries_Dipping_Sauce47873.shtml).

I gotta admit, though, that this knowledge has its price.  Oh, man.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: pmcd9 on February 19, 2010, 03:37:55 pm
I have spoken of my love for Guthrie's before.  But now I have their secret (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/77/Guthries_Dipping_Sauce47873.shtml).

Heinz ketchup... nice
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: side_show on February 19, 2010, 04:09:55 pm
Flavoured mayos are also pretty fantastic, I gotta admit.  Aioli is pretty much heaven to me.  I would dip anything in aioli.  Also, I am currently flirting with curry mayo, which is pretty fantastic. 

I have never successfully made homemade mayo either, though I've had it enough times to know it's superior.  I should really make it.  I'm intimitated because as a kid I tried to make it, and didn't heed the whole "slowly add the oil" part and ended up with some separated (yet tasty) salad dressing concoction instead.  I should really try to make it again now that I am older and have some sense.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2010, 07:10:46 pm
When I was a child I couldn't believe that mayo was made out of other ingredients. It seemed like it had to be a fundamental element. When I was an adult and  learned that it could be made from scratch at home and tried it myself, I felt that my childish view was quite understandable. It really is magic.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 19, 2010, 07:30:38 pm
When I was a child I couldn't believe that mayo was made out of other ingredients. It seemed like it had to be a fundamental element.

Beans.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: side_show on February 19, 2010, 07:46:20 pm
It really is magic.

Especially that a combination of several ingredients I wouldn't describe as "creamy" could turn into something that I consider essentially creamy in texture and flavour.  There's really got to be some magic in it.  Wombat is right, mayonnaise is magic, which is probably why I love it so.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 19, 2010, 08:42:57 pm
thank you, the french, for inventing mayonnaise.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: theinevitable on February 19, 2010, 10:23:52 pm
I still don't understand how Mayo is not just its own thing.

I didn't have any for a long time, because I forgot that it is awesome.
And then one day when I was home for the holidays, my mom made me a sandwich. With mayo. This was the day that I remembered that mayo is great.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 19, 2010, 10:33:17 pm
maybe we can just pretend that mayo, rather than being formed by the union of average ingredients, is formed by mystical processes known only to the wisest and most trusted elders of society.  we need to invent a mayonnaise creation myth and method.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: Choop on February 23, 2010, 02:53:07 am
picked up some tabasco mayonnaise at the tabasco shop on jackson square this weekend. i'm bummed that it's a gift for a neighbor.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: jay-ell on February 23, 2010, 04:11:49 pm
Then you shoulda gotten two.
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2010, 05:23:50 pm
Mayo Salad Dressing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4381707039/)
Title: Re: mayonnaise
Post by: miles on February 24, 2010, 05:47:37 am
I'm totally down with mayonnaise.