The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 04:22:00 pm

Title: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 04:22:00 pm
I'm having a family gathering this evening. The plan was barbecue foods -- pulled pork, BBQ chicken, coleslaw.

Then I realized that my parents-in-law, my husband's youngest brother, and his wife are coming.

They're Catholic.

It's Lent.

I'm allergic to seafood.

My instinct is to get some shrimp and have Pedro fry it up quick for the non-meat-eaters tonight, but he doesn't cook and I've never cooked shrimp on account of how I can't eat it. He can follow a recipe if it's very specific and has strict cooking times, and has offered to do so, if I can find one.

Anybody have a good, simple recipe for pan-fried shrimp that would go well with barbecue, that a non-chef can follow?

Alternatively, has anyone had the Gorton's oven-baked popcorn shrimp thingies? Are those OK?

I'm also adding macaroni and cheese to the menu as backup, but it would be nice to have something more main-dishy for the Catholics.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2010, 04:26:50 pm
Don't pan fry the shrimp.  Just steam it and let everybody peel and eat.  Easy and fun.

To steam the shrimp, put it in a collander over about an inch of boiling water with some Old Bay seasoning in it.  Cover.  Stir.  Do not overcook -- depending on the size of the shrimp, usually about 3 minutes will do it.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 04:37:06 pm
The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: side_show on February 26, 2010, 04:42:49 pm
Seafood is super easy and quick, so no worries.  In these cases, I typically pick up a nice big salmon fillet, brush it with a mixture of mayo and herbs and broil it 10 min. per inch of thickness (skin side down if it's got the skin on), about 5 inches from the broiler.  Super tasty, super easy, super fast.

P.S. I grew up Catholic and we ate meat at lent - it was never even discussed, even at lunch time in the school cafeteria.  I only learned long after leaving the church that some people did this!  Let me know if any of your in-laws sneak some chicken or pork with their meal - I'm super curious!
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: lprkn on February 26, 2010, 05:06:40 pm
Let them fast. It purifies the mind and body...or something.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 05:08:01 pm
Let them fast. It purifies the mind and body...or something.

I'm sure this will go over real well when the rest of us filthy heathens are stuffing our mouths with delicious, mouth-watering pig flesh.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: Choop on February 26, 2010, 05:08:14 pm
to tweak the steamed shrimp, add a bay leaf and a pinch of nutmeg to the water and old bay. and remember: for shellgiraffe in-shell, half a pound per person.

you could, if you feel like splurging, make crab cakes. mayo, mustard, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, crabmeat; combine, shape into patties, dredge in flour, pan-fry.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 05:16:59 pm
The crabcakes would be perfect, but they're a bit ambitious for Pedro. I think I will try the steamed peel-and-eat.

Thanks for the pounds-per-person suggestion, though - I would have had no idea.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2010, 05:42:39 pm
The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.

You can sprinkle some on after they're done.  If you do it during cooking it'll wash off.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: CortJstr on February 26, 2010, 05:44:23 pm
The old bay goes in the water, not on the shrimp?

Odd.

Ideally you'd put shrimp-and-crab-boil in the water but you likely don't own any. Regardless extra Old Bay should be provided at the table. For dippin'.

You know you could serve them something actually vegetarian, too. Just a thought. This is my favorite vegetarian dinner, though you'd likely need to at least triple it:

Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry

2 Tbs ghee or olive oil
1 sm onion or a couple shallots, sliced
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 cup baby spinach or chopped hearty green
1 red pepper, roasted, skinned, and chopped
2 small zucchini, cut into semi-circles
zest and juice of half a lemon

Heat 1 T oil over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of salt and the chickpeas. Saute until beginning to color. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook until the chickpeas are deep gold and the onion is translucent.  And greens and cook until wilted. Evacuate everything to a plate.

In the same pan heat remaining oil over medium heat and saute the zucchini until lightly browned. Add the pepper and stir for about a minute. Return chickpea mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat and add the juice, zest, and pepper to taste.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2010, 05:47:01 pm

Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry


I will try this because I love chickpeas and I've got a new stir fry pan that rocks.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: jay-ell on February 26, 2010, 06:56:05 pm
Crisis averted.

I called one of the parties in attendance, who had planned to bring BBQ Chicken for a guest who doesn't eat pork, and asked her if she knew how to cook seafood. (The non-pork eater does eat shrimp and told me yesterday that she probably won't be there anyway.) Anyway, Friend agreed to make Shrimp Scampi instead, and since she hadn't bought the chicken yet and I happened to be heading to the grocery store anyway I picked up what she needed and saved her a trip.

Worked out nicely. Thanks for your suggestions, tho; had my friend not been so flexible, the steamer recipe would have totally saved my ass.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: Drygioni on February 27, 2010, 01:38:02 am
Make fiadshs and tchips.


Beautiful.
(http://changeonesmind.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/giraffe_and_chips.jpg)


Foodie bastards.

What 's wron with good simple ogfod.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: AugustWest on February 27, 2010, 03:04:31 am
Cause if you're not set up for it, deep frying a bunch a stuff is far from simple and is usually pretty messy.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 27, 2010, 03:04:43 am
I don't see any chips. I do see some french fries, however.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: Choop on February 27, 2010, 08:27:17 am
the broken image comes from the perfect url: http://changeonesmind.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/giraffe_and_chips.jpg
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 28, 2010, 04:10:36 pm
Scallops provençale is one of my go-to seafood dishes.  Basically pan-fried scallops with garlic butter.  Oh so good.
Title: Re: Emergency Seafood Recipes Needed!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2010, 05:40:33 pm
the broken image comes from the perfect url: http://changeonesmind.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/giraffe_and_chips.jpg

If it were wrapped in newspaper it would be perfect.