The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2010, 04:36:08 pm

Title: Toyota Recalls
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2010, 04:36:08 pm
I have a curious question.  I realize there have been some deaths associated with this acceleration problem and I'm wondering if they could have been prevented by the drivers.  I've heard that what happens is the car begins to accelerate uncontrollably and that the brakes won't work, but what I haven't heard is if it would have been possible to shift the car out of gear and use the emergency brake?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: lprkn on February 26, 2010, 05:00:53 pm
That is one option, but most people won't think of that when they're panicked. It's easier to remember to just turn the key to the 'off' position, although I don't know how that may apply to newer models with touch start ignitions and the like.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2010, 05:21:50 pm
I don't want to belittle the deaths of people who've had this problem, but I listened to that now famous 911 call and that was the first thing that crossed my mind. "Put it in neutral!" I actually said aloud to the radio.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: CortJstr on February 26, 2010, 05:39:05 pm
Quote
"I put the car into all available gears, including neutral," she recalled about her fruitless attempt to slow the car down. Ms. Smith says she even put the car into reverse, in which position the gearshift remained as the car quickly reached a speed of 100mph.

After putting both feet on the brake and employing the emergency brake to no avail, Ms. Smith began to think that her only choice was to run her car into the guardrail, if only to save the other drivers on the highway.

Source: http://consumerist.com/2010/02/video-one-toyota-drivers-horror-story.html
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2010, 05:45:13 pm
Toyota Recalls


Honda Forgets.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2010, 05:51:10 pm
Thanks Court. 
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 26, 2010, 06:09:28 pm
The revenge for World War II wages on.
I was impressed with Mr.Toyoda appearing at the congressional hearing. It just seemed like a risky proposition for someone who isn't fluent in the language he's communicating in, and he even got all choked up when he thanked his loyal employees at the Kentucky factory.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2010, 07:46:14 pm
My dad heard somewhere that they think another problem is touch-button-starts. There is a safeguard where if you press the button while driving it will wait a few seconds before turning off, and if you push it again it cancels the shut-off... they think some people might have just mashed the button over and over.

yeah, I have a Toyota. oops.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: wombat on February 26, 2010, 08:07:42 pm
That is one option, but most people won't think of that when they're panicked. It's easier to remember to just turn the key to the 'off' position, although I don't know how that may apply to newer models with touch start ignitions and the like.

My understanding is that turning the car off is a bad idea because you lose power to the steering and brakes.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2010, 10:02:34 pm
My dad also told me: you turn the key one turn to the left, which means you can still steer/brake but the engine is off.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: jaydub on February 26, 2010, 10:07:59 pm
Nope.  The steering won't lock, its true, but the engine powers the steering and brake assist devices.  You'll get one good push on the brakes before that system's reserves are used up.  After that its you vs momentum.  Power steering actually isn't necessary at highway speeds.  You need the assist when the car is moving slowly/turning sharply.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2010, 10:10:44 pm
I mean, that sounds better than accelerating uncontrollably, though?
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: jaydub on February 26, 2010, 11:06:52 pm
Oh, undoubtedly.  From what I gather though, the affected cars have little mechanical hands that come out of the dash and turn the car back on, punch you in the gut, and turn the steering wheel towards the closest group of nuns while gunning the engine and tuning the radio to Gimme The Prize (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9AUocq3YM).
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 27, 2010, 06:16:32 am
Oh, undoubtedly.  From what I gather though, the affected cars have little mechanical hands that come out of the dash and turn the car back on, punch you in the gut, and turn the steering wheel towards the closest group of nuns while gunning the engine and tuning the radio to Gimme The Prize (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9AUocq3YM).

no more warner brothers cartoons for you.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: Choop on February 27, 2010, 08:26:21 am
i keep interpreting the topic as toyota remembers...

"toyota remembers when honda was nobody."
"toyota remembers when the camry first hit the streets"
"toyota remembers the eisenhower administration"
"toyota remembers that night with your mom"
&c.
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 27, 2010, 06:07:46 pm
Pepperidge Farms remembers!
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: jay-ell on February 27, 2010, 06:16:24 pm
I keep reading the title of this thread as if it's a pun on the phrase "Total Recall."

Toyotal Recall?
Title: Re: Toyota Recalls
Post by: pmcd9 on February 27, 2010, 08:45:01 pm
I keep reading the title of this thread as if it's a pun on the phrase "Total Recall."

Toyotal Recall?

I wish that had been my intent.