The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on March 24, 2010, 02:53:50 am

Title: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 24, 2010, 02:53:50 am
fuck*ng awesome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_%28TV_series%29
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Drygioni on March 24, 2010, 02:57:21 am
My friends love the Wire. My dad loves the Wire. Every media outlet in the world loves the Wire.

Yet I have never seen the Wire.

Someday soon...

Generation Kill was good.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2010, 03:23:44 am
I heard it was good.  I don't have cable.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 24, 2010, 03:30:47 am
Yeah, me neither.  You have the internet though.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: AugustWest on March 24, 2010, 03:46:37 am
My friends love the Wire. My dad loves the Wire. Every media outlet in the world loves the Wire.

Yet I have never seen the Wire.

Someday soon...


Yeah, same for me.

It's by the Homicide/Oz/Sopranos guys, right?  That's a pretty damn good recommendation.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 24, 2010, 04:08:15 am
I think just Homicide.  I know they didn't do Sopranos, no idea about Oz.

The Wire is huge though, more season to season with a brilliant ability to make it interesting and (fuck, what is it called when it like ends and you want to see the next episode to find out what happens?) without being corny or making the overall story seem stupid.  The most honest thing that has ever been on TV.

Oh, except I watched it for the second time recently and noticed a lot of dorito and pepsi placement.  I can't tell if they just had to do it all the time or were making fun of themselves for having the in scene advertising, thats how bad it was.  I guess a lot of people, especially cops with desk jobs, drink soda and eat chips though, so still honest.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Choop on March 24, 2010, 05:17:33 am
i loved the wire. watched all five seasons in about three weeks, after it had finished.

also i don't care about product placement. if it helps get a show made that i like, i know it won't sway my opinions on products if i see mcnulty drinking a pepsi or marlo throw an empty bag of doritos on the ground.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 24, 2010, 07:06:00 am
Oh, it didn't really bug me either, but if the show was worse it would have.  Mainly though, I was just saying there was so much of it, and it was so ridiculous compared to the other aspects of that show, and it was really, really obvious that I didn't know if they were doing it that way on purpose to make fun of themselves or if they just had to put a shit load of it in.  It was right on that edge.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: wombat on March 24, 2010, 12:56:59 pm
I can't imagine David Simon having product placement in a series.  He is the sort of person who goes on and on like this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8227864.stm) about advertising. One critic even points out a joke about product placement in one episode (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/02/the_wire_goodnight_moon.html).

I spent a little time searching this because I figured if he'd even been quoted ranting about this it would probably be amusing. I didn't find anything before I decided I better get back to work, but here's something on the question from Generation Kill, explaining that a Subway sign was there because the place in real life had a Subway:
http://www.hbo.com/generation-kill/parts/0/1-get-some/article/inside-generation-kill.html (http://www.hbo.com/generation-kill/parts/0/1-get-some/article/inside-generation-kill.html)

So if they eat a lot of Doritos on The Wire it's probably that there was a machine that had only Doritos in the real Baltimore police office that they modelled it on. They are just those kinds of guys, to an extent that is either entertaining or bordering on holier-than-thou depending on my mood.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 24, 2010, 02:24:40 pm
I have numerous friends who love The Wire.  Several of them live in Baltimore.

I haven't watched it, but would like to.  I'm just not in the habit of renting TV season DVDs and knocking them out, though.  Someday.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2010, 04:08:48 pm
Maybe it's just a thing.  Like the people on twin peaks were drinking coffee all the damn time.  On the wire they eat doritos all the damn time.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 25, 2010, 05:45:48 am
I can't imagine David Simon having product placement in a series.  He is the sort of person who goes on and on like this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8227864.stm) about advertising. One critic even points out a joke about product placement in one episode (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/02/the_wire_goodnight_moon.html).

I spent a little time searching this because I figured if he'd even been quoted ranting about this it would probably be amusing. I didn't find anything before I decided I better get back to work, but here's something on the question from Generation Kill, explaining that a Subway sign was there because the place in real life had a Subway:
http://www.hbo.com/generation-kill/parts/0/1-get-some/article/inside-generation-kill.html (http://www.hbo.com/generation-kill/parts/0/1-get-some/article/inside-generation-kill.html)

So if they eat a lot of Doritos on The Wire it's probably that there was a machine that had only Doritos in the real Baltimore police office that they modelled it on. They are just those kinds of guys, to an extent that is either entertaining or bordering on holier-than-thou depending on my mood.

See that's kinda the thing- it should not be there but it most definitely is.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2010, 12:26:45 pm
Another possibility is that it is an inside joke - some writer or someone on the crew who eats Doritos all the time or ate them in college or one night ended up in jail for getting drunk while eating Doritos.  I realized that you know what I really miss about the Wire? It's that when it was on, I found a couple of other places on the internet aside from this one where people weren't stupid - blogs and forums where people discussed this show intelligently (NOT the HBO forums, about which the less said the better). I was so tempted to find them and re-read them all and see if anyone talked about Doritos so I could relive the glory.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2010, 07:12:54 am
Pepsi products too.  You should though, I would be interested in what those people thought.  There are only like 4 scenes, but they are all really overboard.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2010, 11:45:31 am
Keith is a bad influence.

If I get enough work done today, and if you all are posting here as little over the weekend as you have been lately... I will consider it.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: arkabee on August 15, 2010, 08:23:00 pm
i try to like their old stuff,
the MBV cover of that one song is pretty good.

but their newer single is great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rkMv6iF0c&feature=related
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2010, 09:02:24 pm
I like it.  Jangly guitars and all.

Let the "Holy Crap!  Arkabee!" comments ensue.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: wombat on March 27, 2011, 11:01:57 pm
A must if you have not already been directed to this by someone else on the internet: On The Wire as a Victorian serial novel:
http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/03/when-its-not-your-turn-the-quintessentially-victorian-vision-of-ogdens-the-wire/ (http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/03/when-its-not-your-turn-the-quintessentially-victorian-vision-of-ogdens-the-wire/)
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 28, 2011, 04:52:17 pm
Dammit I was just going to post that.

I've seen a couple episodes, but like Ark I've listened to the band a lot more.

Hey Ark, how ya doin?
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: arkabee on April 01, 2011, 05:15:57 am
Dammit I was just going to post that.

I've seen a couple episodes, but like Ark I've listened to the band a lot more.

Hey Ark, how ya doin?

so so approaching fair to middlin.

you?
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Nabubrush on April 01, 2011, 01:31:02 pm
so so approaching fair to middlin.

you?

Lot of upheaval right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: arkabee on April 03, 2011, 12:09:48 am
Lot of upheaval right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.

i am endeavoring to persevere, myself.  would you like a plate, too?
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: Nabubrush on April 03, 2011, 08:00:42 pm
i am endeavoring to persevere, myself.  would you like a plate, too?

Sure!
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2011, 02:03:35 am
There is a character in the recent movie Cedar Rapids that is a fan of "the HBO series The Wire." (http://content.foxsearchlight.com/videos/node/4745).
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2011, 04:25:55 am
"You slinging bean pies up in this mother fucker?"
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: dejavroom on October 15, 2013, 06:10:55 pm
Man, I downloaded this show and just watched the pilot episode and I really, really liked it. Good to know I have entertainment/brain oblivion stored up for some months ahead. Five years from now I'll download Breaking Bad and will let you know what I think of it.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: theinevitable on October 15, 2013, 07:55:32 pm
YEAH! This show is excellent. The author also wrote a great essay about how he was inspired by a book I really enjoy, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

Don't get turned off by the kind of slow start to season 2. It ended up being one of my favorites.
Title: Re: Anyone like the Wire?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2013, 08:24:10 pm
The Wire was a great show. It really got me interested in television again. I don't have cable so I had no idea that television could be so good. Broadcast television had gotten so bad I had stopped watching altogether. The Wire is definitely cut from a different cloth than CSI or Law and Order or whatever.