The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on March 26, 2010, 05:23:34 pm
-
As before, you can only pick one. NO EXCEPTIONS.
I say Paint it Black.
-
She Smiled Sweetly
-
Sympathy for the Devil
-
Trash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CI1gg2l6w&feature=related)
-
"Gimmie Shelter"
-
Hmm, that's a tough one.
I'll go with Sympathy for the Devil.
I can't regain the impact it had on me when I first heard it back in the day. It seemed so evil and raunchy to me back then.
Also, it kicks off my favorite Stones album.
-
Ooh, I have a good story about "Sympathy." When my band cut one of our EPs, we had an "album release party" at our house. Keg of beer, play the tape at 10 (exactly one person bothered to listen to it), then we did an acoustic set at 11. We did two of our songs, and then we did "Sympathy," with the bassist on guitar (our guitarist was out of town, wasn't even there), the drummer on bongos, and me singing the lyrics off a piece of paper (I was familiar enough with the song, but didn't have the words memorized).
One of my absolute favorite memories of my time as a musician: singing "GUESS MY NAME!" as loud as I could (no microphone) in the basement of our house, with fifty people jumping up and down and singing "WHOO HOOOOO!"
-
Paint It Black
-
Mr Trout, I love you.
I really really love "Miss You," because I am a sucker for songs about being lonely, and walking around alone late at night and not knowing why.
-
Angie.
-
I'll say Satisfaction, because someone ought to.
-
Man this is tougher than the Beatles. I'm gonna go with Sway.
-
I could never do the beatles one, but this is easy. Yesterday's Papers. I could listen to early Stones forever.
-
I'm going to be Mr. Boring Mainstream guy and say Jumping Jack Flash. Probably just because it was one of the first Stones songs I heard but none of their other tracks quite grab me by the shoulders and say 'GET THE HELL UP. A PARTY IS HAPPENING.'
-
I was going to say "Sympathy for the Devil," but then August reminded me of "Paint it Black" and I realized that SftD isn't better, just better known.
-
Of course, no one picks newer Stones (newer being a relative term), but I will confess a soft spot for "Hang Fire" and "She's So Cold."
-
Speaking of which, "Mixed Emotions."
-
Pizza Burnin
-
I was going to say "Sympathy for the Devil," but then August reminded me of "Paint it Black" and I realized that SftD isn't better, just better known.
Really? That Can't be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_It,_Black).
-
Gimme Shelter.
-
Really? That Can't be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_It,_Black).
I dunno, all I know is that Wierd Al incorporated "Sympathy" into the Hot Rocks Polka (http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/thehotrockspolka.html), but left out "Paint it Black." That's *got* to count for something.
Also, I kind of really like "Beast of Burden." Is that weird?
-
Also, I kind of really like "Beast of Burden." Is that weird?
Only if being normal is weird.
-
Gimme Shelter.
The best for singing along to when driving to drown out the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
-
"Beast of Burden"
Pizza Burnin
i actually called Sympathy on p1 but the stones have been on my mind, and i sang "i'll never be your pizza burnin" in the car yesterday
-
I dunno, all I know is that Wierd Al incorporated "Sympathy" into the Hot Rocks Polka (http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/thehotrockspolka.html), but left out "Paint it Black." That's *got* to count for something.
Yeah, I guess you're right, we're talking about the Stones here and even a monster hit like Paint it Black can be a b side on their greatest hits disc.
-
Chalk up another vote for "Paint it Black."
Greg Gumbel votes for "Brown Sugar." I'm not sure how I should feel about that.
-
will someone please clear up something for me? is "brown sugar" an homage to smack or lovin' from a black lady?
-
from wikipedia:
The lyrical subject matter has often been a point of interest and controversy. Described by rock critic Robert Christgau as "a rocker so compelling that it discourages exegesis",[4] "Brown Sugar"'s popularity indeed often overshadowed its scandalous lyrics, which were essentially a pastiche of a number of taboo subjects, including interracial sex, cunnilingus, slave rape, and less distinctly, sadomasochism, lost virginity, and heroin.
So, yes on both fronts I suppose.
I'm surprised no one has brought in the love for You Can't Always Get What you Want. My vote is still for Angie though.
-
I was listening to a bunch of Stones lately and 'Under my thumb' came up, which I'd never heard before and, damn, there's a values gap there. Unless it was meant to be ironic, maybe?
-
I was listening to a bunch of Stones lately and 'Under my thumb' came up, which I'd never heard before and, damn, there's a values gap there. Unless it was meant to be ironic, maybe?
Who knows man, Mick Jagger was like 20 when he wrote that, but in his life he's had women all around the globe and he's got about 20 children. He's definitely not a one woman kinda guy. He's also written a lot of misogyny filled songs in his career.
Remember when they got in trouble for this (http://www.jahsonic.com/BlackBlue.jpg) image?
I would like to know how it's possible to have never heard this song. That almost seems inconceivable to me.
-
Sympathy For The Devil
-
Sympathy For The Devil
Word!
-
Can I change? Lately, Moonlight Mile.