The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on March 26, 2010, 09:27:53 pm
-
It may have been an old mine, it probably wasn't an accident, but it looks like North Korea just narrowed the Naval gap (http://gawker.com/5502816/south-korean-ship-sinking-after-suspected-north-korean-attack) between it and the South.
-
Everyone's staying tight lipped on the topic, except for a South Korean politico who thinks it was a torpedo (http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/rok/2010/rok-100402-voa01.htm). USN divers (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2010/04/mil-100409-nns02.htm) are getting ready to investigate, at South Korea's request.
-
The UN committee investigating the incident (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/06/15/un.north.korea/index.html?iref=NS1) concurs. The piece of torpedo recovered with NK identifying marks made the case. They've presented the findings to the Security Council, and the NK spokesman has threatened (http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2010/201006/news14/20100614-02ee.html) war (http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/06/12/2010061201093.html) if any negative opinion (http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2010/201006/news14/20100614-08ee.html) is voiced by the Council.
Why did they think this was a good idea (sinking the sub)?
-
I have been going on a kick of reading/watching about crazy regimes, and my theory is that North Korea is entirely crazy.
But seriously, I don't know.
-
I have been going on a kick of reading/watching about crazy regimes, and my theory is that North Korea is entirely crazy.
But seriously, I don't know.
Did you watch the Vice Travel Guide for NK? Balls out crazy
-
Did you watch the Vice Travel Guide for NK? Balls out crazy
My cubicle-mate recommended this to me today when I kept giving her updates on the Brazil - North Korea match, and it looks insane. Look forward to watching it.
-
it is quite good! the Liberia one... I am not sure why I didn't get nightmares from that.
the first minute sums it up.
"did you drink before battle?"
"yes, typically, we would kill a small child and drink its blood."
seeing a kid who looks 10 smoking heroin. yeesh. don't know if I needed that.
-
Yeah the Liberia one was a mindfuck. It got kind of dicey more than a couple times. I really got the feeling that any time on that trip they could have been murdered and sold for meat and no one would even know.
-
Just in case there was any doubt, the Norks are still out of their minds. (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/23/cronin.korea.artillery/index.html?hpt=C1)
-
Oh man, my grandpa was a sniper during the Korean War. For his sake, I wish that reunification might be possible in his life time, but any legitimate hope for that has really faded. Things are getting worse out there, and grandpa's getting old. Gramps saw his friend get blown apart by shelling, a little Korean kid get shot by Americans, and all sorts of stuff to terrible for him to tell me about.
That whole stale mate isn't going so well.
-
Wonder how much fun can break out if we let Asia deal with Asia and China gets their nose up in that shit.
any fun they have would affect the production of gadgets and other consumer goods. how long before the gub'ment gets all up in that?
-
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101207/D9JV1VQO0.html
South Korea is building island fortresses along the border. I don't know what all that accomplishes. My understanding is that both sides have basically built elaborate military facilities so deep underground that nuclear bunker busters wouldnt touch them, so why bother with the islands? Arent islands really easily surrounded and cut off?
-
I guess the last defense minister got the boot for not being seen to do enough so maybe they want to do something very visible?
It's their own cold war, only the crazy people actually want to go to war but no one can afford to look like they don't want to go to war.