The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: robot_god on April 01, 2010, 09:33:54 am
-
The worst.
-
This is like people who touch the glass on the zoo exhibits. Don't they realize someone has to clean up those fingerprints?
But you know, I now have a job where the computers have touch screens. I can't get used to using them and always use the penis instead. But I wonder if likewise, the people who touch them all day at work, can't get used to not touching them in other contexts.
-
i only touch other peoples' monitors. if they can't figure out what they need to click without me dragging my ass to their desk to point it out, then they can wipe my smooshyprints off their LCD. we have a user manual, people, you do not need to pull a senior developer out of programming mode.
-
RDP is slower than walking down the hall to the office of the morons in question
-
actually that's all in the past now that i work from home in a city across the country from the home office
smug.gif
-
I don't touch screens because I don't like leaving smudges (just kind of rude, you know?), but I haven't really noticed that it's a thing with some people, either. TOUAMB. Education.
-
Theory: people who touch computer screens are the same people who bring the monitor with them when they go to the computer shop when they are having hard drive troubles. This excludes the aforementioned touch screen people.
-
Oh fuck no. I have a $9,000 workstation that I call "The Precious". If anybody's greasy-ass mitt gets anywhere close to my dual-screen 24s, you had better believe they get their paw smacked the fuck away from my displays.
God. Those people are such cretins. It reminds me of the fucktards in my intro-to-architecture class during my undergrad days who dared to TOUCH OTHER PEOPLE'S DRAWINGS during juries. Have some dignity.
-
At church a couple of weeks ago I saw a baby in a carseat/carrier with a tag hanging from the handle that read, "Please wash your hands before holding me! Thanks!"
On the one hand (no pun intended), hanging a "wash hands" sign on your kid seems a little ridiculous to me. On the other hand, when my kids were babies, I was shocked at the number of people who would reach into the carrier or stroller to pick up my child without asking if it was OK.
I mean, these are people at church, not random strangers on the street, but if I don't know your last name, you're not holding my kid. Sorry.
-
Back in college I was standing in line for a flu shot. The guy behind me was blind and had a seeing eye dog with that special handle device. Attached to the handle was a sign that said "please ask before you pet me." Which seemed kind of obvious to me. This is a highly trained animal with a specialized function. I would not expect it to react the same way as a dog tied up outside a Starbucks and just go straight in for a head pat.
-
Seriously, people should not touch ANY dog without asking first. Touching an assistance dog is a good way to distract it from its work, but touching any random pet dog is a good way to get yourself bitten. My dogs enjoy being mauled by strangers but many do not.
As for babies - I wouldn't even pick up a puppy without asking. If I had a baby and someone went to pick it up without asking I would probably automatically knock them to the ground. What are people thinking?
-
Back in college I was standing in line for a flu shot. The guy behind me was blind and had a seeing eye dog with that special handle device. Attached to the handle was a sign that said "please ask before you pet me." Which seemed kind of obvious to me. This is a highly trained animal with a specialized function. I would not expect it to react the same way as a dog tied up outside a Starbucks and just go straight in for a head pat.
Most seeing-eye dogs that I've seen have a similar message on their working harness. The thing about seeing-eye dogs is that they're working. Kids running in and distracting them is bad. Their owners have to work with them a lot to ignore distractions so that the dog stays focused, and the visually-impaired person can stay safe. it is also my understanding that the dogs are also continually undergoing training, and it will confuse them if they have their work harness on, and then they suddenly get heaped with praise for something random. Plus, kids need to be taught for their own safety that they cannot just go up and start petting a strange dog. It's common courtesy to ask, and especially because you don't want to distract a working dog.
I don't have any kids, but part of the reason why I don't have any is that I would freak the fuck out if some random person just grabbed my child like they were public property. Don't get me started on weirdos who think they are entitled to touch pregnant women without asking. Jesus. That is so wrong.
-
I pet strange dogs all the time. Dogs fuck*ng love to be petted. If their owners don't like it (this has never happened to me to my knowledge) then they can kiss my ass for being uptight assholes.
Petting a work dog for the blind is another story. That would be like holding your hand in front of their face or something.
-
Dogs do love to be petted, and I do love to pet dogs, but...I'd probably still ask, to be polite.
However, if your dog is tied up outside the store or whatever, I'm going to (attempt to) pet him, and you can't stop me.
-
Seriously, not all dogs love to be petted by strangers. Some of my best friends are dogs who do not like to be petted by strangers. And some people who own dogs like this are stupid enough to leave them tied up alone.
-
The only types of dogs that don't like to be petted by strangers typically are those froofy purse dogs.
-
Tell that to the Rottweiler mix that almost took my face off before I learned that people whose dogs don't like strangers don't all know enough not to tie them up outside a store.
-
This isn't about some Miss Manners bullshit. I don't give a fuck if a grown man wants to go pet dogs. Kids are supposed to know not to pet strange dogs so they don't get bitten. My youngest sister almost lost her eye when she was 5 because she tried to pet my aunt's dog, who started chewing on her face. Surprise surprise, my aunt wouldn't have the dog put down because it HAD to have been an accident. Surely it wasn't the dog's fault...until the dog bit her grandson and then it got put down.
-
My brother's girlfriend has a dog like that. It has attacked people five or six times while I've lived here and all she does is blame other people. "Jesse's a good boy!"
Won't have to put up with it much longer, though.
She's gone into denial that my brother needs more than one (nearly always absent) person's help with his seizure disorder, even though this is Los Angeles and he can't legally even drive a car, and my girlfriend and I have been told to get the fuck out by summer's end, so that she can play house and risk my brother's life to do it. Going into denial on the severity of his disorder means pretending that we haven't really ever been needed here. And we're freeloading or cramping her fuck*ng style or something.
This is what I was talking about in the baseball thread. There are no entertainment jobs I could get any time soon out here that would be worth staying in town for, the rightwing talkshow idiots in LA don't wanna pay more taxes so there's no teaching jobs for my girlfriend and... we couldn't afford to live here on my piss-truck money and her sporadic subbing, not without burning through my girl's small nestegg that was an inheritance from her grandfather in less than two years. We'll follow her career for a while, I guess.
So somewhere in the summer, we're going back East to figure out what to do next. I don't want to leave my brother's side but it is his delusional fiancee's house and I can't ask my girlfriend to burn out her prospects just to hang around for when his fiancee ALLOWS us to see him. My parents were almost gonna blow their whole retirement to move out here to hover at her beckon call but I think I've talked them out of it. In seven months, he'll be too lonely or she'll be sick of the work it ACTUALLY takes to help him lead a semi-normal life or... something horrible will happen to him from her lack of real assistance. Gotta let one of those happen, I guess.
All I know is that when they finally do put down that monstrous dog, I want to cut the check for the shot that does it. Horrible thing.
-
My brother's girlfriend has a dog like that. It has attacked people five or six times while I've lived here and all she does is blame other people. "Jesse's a good boy!"
Won't have to put up with it much longer, though.
She's gone into denial that my brother needs more than one (nearly always absent) person's help with his seizure disorder, even though this is Los Angeles and he can't legally even drive a car, and my girlfriend and I have been told to get the fuck out by summer's end, so that she can play house and risk my brother's life to do it. Going into denial on the severity of his disorder means pretending that we haven't really ever been needed here. And we're freeloading or cramping her fuck*ng style or something.
This is what I was talking about in the baseball thread. There are no entertainment jobs I could get any time soon out here that would be worth staying in town for, the rightwing talkshow idiots in LA don't wanna pay more taxes so there's no teaching jobs for my girlfriend and... we couldn't afford to live here on my piss-truck money and her sporadic subbing, not without burning through my girl's small nestegg that was an inheritance from her grandfather in less than two years. We'll follow her career for a while, I guess.
So somewhere in the summer, we're going back East to figure out what to do next. I don't want to leave my brother's side but it is his delusional fiancee's house and I can't ask my girlfriend to burn out her prospects just to hang around for when his fiancee ALLOWS us to see him. My parents were almost gonna blow their whole retirement to move out here to hover at her beckon call but I think I've talked them out of it. In seven months, he'll be too lonely or she'll be sick of the work it ACTUALLY takes to help him lead a semi-normal life or... something horrible will happen to him from her lack of real assistance. Gotta let one of those happen, I guess.
All I know is that when they finally do put down that monstrous dog, I want to cut the check for the shot that does it. Horrible thing.
That sucks, dude. She sounds like a really shitty dame. I wish your brother would come around. Good luck on the move.
-
update gleaned from facebook: Jough loves the HELL out of touching the computer screen when he points at it.
-
Stuff that sucks
Sorry man, e-condolences (for all that helps).
To clarify on the dog-petting issue: I'm certainly not running over there with a steak attached to my throat, I'm pretty circumspect about approaching strange dogs. If it looks friendly, I'll give it a shot. If Rover looks like he won't go for a head pat, well he doesn't get one, then.
Yeah, my kids (if that ever happens) won't be approaching strange animals to see whether they'll be nice, neither.
I actually narrowly escaped getting my throat bitten by a crazy-ass rottweiler when I was a door-to-door salesman for a summer (first mistake). Trailer house, rusted-out car, rottweiler with chain under said car (mistakes 2-4). The dog came out and looked interested to see me, just calm and lazy. I went in for the head pat (last mistake), and he lunged for my throat with absolutely no warning. His chain was the only thing that saved me, because it brought him up short, inches from my neck.
Then he went about being all calm and lazy again. So I think he might have been a crazydog.
-
he'll be too lonely or she'll be sick of the work it ACTUALLY takes to help him lead a semi-normal life or... something horrible will happen to him from her lack of real assistance. Gotta let one of those happen, I guess.
First Inev, now LFM, everyone is sounding like Ash today.
Seriously though man, that's some rough stuff and I feel for you, but your bro is an adult too, if he felt more strongly about it he'd probably speak up. I guess sometimes you have to let people you love screw up, sucks though.
-
S'true.
But I also think that he fears that his medical condition might not exactly make him the most attractive dude in the world to other women and that he's gonna hunker down with her and... desperately wants us to stay but feels like if he stands up for us, he'll lose her. He's been saying things like "I'm gonna start putting ten dollars on every lotto drawing from here on out" as if to say:
"I am desperate for a miracle that allows everything to not go down like this but I myself cannot take a side on the topic of my own fate as any position would lose me something. I am going to try to tread water and not take a position in hopes something ridiculously good or bad happens while I'm stalling."
He is an adult, yes. All I will say is that he is an adult coming from a severely compromised position on a lot of levels. If he wasn't, this wouldn't even be a discussion. My girl and I would've either been able to follow through on past opportunities and/or we would've left town a long time ago if not for the fact that he's got so many limiting factors on him right now.
-
Got air, looking for footing.
Check and check.
-
Sometimes what other folks might or might not ought do just doesn't fuck*ng matter.
This is important to remember when taking advice from people on the internet.
But yeah, look after you too, you're a good man but you could burn your damn life away trying to help other people who won't accept it and in the end no one's better off.
-
does he have his own phone. does he have your number. live anywhere, talk anywhen. it ain't that tough.
-
I don't touch screens because I don't like leaving smudges (just kind of rude, you know?), but I haven't really noticed that it's a thing with some people, either. TOUAMB. Education.
i only touch other peoples' monitors. if they can't figure out what they need to click without me dragging my ass to their desk to point it out, then they can wipe my smooshyprints off their LCD. we have a user manual, people, you do not need to pull a senior developer out of programming mode.
I caught myself doing this twice over the last week. I'm sort of in charge of this one really basic program we use at work and there were some changes made and I had to help some of the less technologically inclined. I don't actually do any of the programming or anything like that, I just collect and organize the data the program produces. Anyway, because I do that I'm kind of known as the guy in charge of this program. After telling them what to click like 4 times it was a matter of either commandeering the penis or touching the screen, and I couldn't decide which was ruder.
Also, when I asked the same people to get back to the desktop they minimized every single window and application they had open individually, and both had at least 10 to minimize. Apparently they've never had to worry about getting walked in on.