The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 12:04:48 pm

Title: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 12:04:48 pm
Hello all,

Intro time, I suppose. Thanks for accepting me to TOUAMB. I've nosed through the forums a good bit, and I feel now it is only fair for me to introduce myself, before I blab on any other topics. Though I admittedly will still entertain assetbar (I've read a bit of the distaste for 'assbar' on here, and I find the story of the creation of TOUAMB endearing), it's nice to have a place to go for more in depth discussions of all things Achewood, as well as to absorb the greater insight of those who've been around since the Early Days.

Wish I could claim OG status - that I've merely been a fly on the wall all these years - but, alas, I was only introduced to Achewood a mere 8 or 9 months ago. I have my aunt, who is infinitely cooler than I, to thank for that. (Somewhat interesting story - how I was introduced - if anyone is interested). To be honest, the only webcomics I knew of prior to Achewood was PFB, Dinosaur Comics, and AmazingSuperPowers. I love the medium of comics, but I had really only any knowledge of the print variety. I'm slowly being introduced to other great webcomics, and I welcome any and all suggestions.

I reside in Los Angeles, and I'm currently a student at UCLA. I'm 26, though my body feels much older, and my mind has had a rough time etching past 15. I'm in Los Angeles for one of the four main (perhaps only) reasons any outsiders end up here. Which of those four describes me will likely be revealed in good time.

As I've said, I have only known of Achewood for about 8-9 months, and, being that I'm a bit slow (and a bit fat), I'm still making my way through the archives. I recognize a few of the cats here from assetbar (Asherdan has a bit of a celeb status there, at least up to the point I am at in the archive). I've read here of some discontent with the comic recently, and, seeing as I am completely and utterly enthralled with it at the point I currently am, I am not eager to reach that conclusion myself. No matter the turnout, though, I can already assert that I will be a lifelong fan (fanboy? Perhaps an eventual apologist?).

I'm generally very self-deprecating (read: insecure), a tad bit neurotic (read: depressed), and perhaps even witty (read: er, witty). (Suppose this might provide some insight to my heretofore mystery LA occupation.) But, it's 5AM and I've been wandering around this site instead of working all night on something due in a few hours, so at the moment you might say that I'm a bit off, mentally.

Anyway, I'm on about nothing. I welcome any questions, insights, advice, hazing, or general mockery.

Oh, one more mystery for the road: Where does this cat originally hail from?

Robocop

*edited for idiocy*
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 12:13:03 pm
p.s. - Why is R-to-the-OBOT a censored word on the boards?
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: miles on April 21, 2010, 12:22:59 pm
I'm generally very self-deprecating (read: insecure), a tad bit neurotic (read: depressed), and perhaps even witty (read: er, witty).

And you're in LA? Don't we already have one of you? I kid. Welcome.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2010, 12:32:58 pm
I apologize that until now I never put a note in the newsbox that says "Did you know that the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why ***** and ##### are censored?"  Not that it would have mattered, since no one but me reads the newsbox.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 01:00:57 pm
Fitting, as I've announced myself as a noob. I suppose I had to prove it somehow...
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2010, 01:33:17 pm
A...a new member?

Who posts?

And is not a troll?

...

...

...

*weeps, hugs robocop*
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 04:49:52 pm
Thanks for the welcome, folks! I feel like I can take of my shoes and stay awhile.

Maybe my #####.

I've known some odd filters on other boards, and I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me. Also, I actually dig L.A.  enough to forgive it when it eventually exposes me as a hapless fool.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: CortJstr on April 21, 2010, 05:06:49 pm
I've known some odd filters on other boards, and I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me. Also, I actually dig L.A.  enough to forgive it when it eventually exposes me as a hapless fool.

Man, just wait until you discover some of the weird ones. Like if you were to perhaps begin discussing shortcakes of some sort.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2010, 05:30:09 pm
some are because our admins are freaky-freaks.

Hey! Don't blame me.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: AugustWest on April 21, 2010, 05:45:57 pm
because our original admins are freaky-freaks.

...although I am pretty much a freaky-freak.  Just not the one responsible for the filters.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 06:25:09 pm
Oh great fun, I've found two on my first day. Perhaps I should have said, "Maybe my trousers."

Quote
Man, just wait until you discover some of the weird ones. Like if you were to perhaps begin discussing shortcakes of some sort.

Like Gary Coleman?
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2010, 06:52:09 pm
I vote we make "shortcakes" --> "Gary Coleman" our latest filter.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 21, 2010, 06:58:02 pm
CUNT gary coleman?
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jaydub on April 21, 2010, 07:00:04 pm
Why vote?  Reclaim your administrative scepter and "so mote it be".
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2010, 07:06:52 pm
That's not my call.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 07:41:44 pm
"Hey, isn't that TV's #### ####### over there holding hands with that skeleton and talking to that hot dog vendor?"

"That's not private security's #### #######, that's Tom Cruise. He's holding hands with TV's What's-Her-Face. And their not talking to a hot dog vendor, that's Scientology's John Travolta."

"Well, shit. I still want a hot dog."

*Edited for idiocy*
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2010, 08:17:11 pm

I reside in Los Angeles, and I'm currently a student at UCLA. I'm 26, though my body feels much older, and my mind has had a rough time etching past 15. I'm in Los Angeles for one of the four main (perhaps only) reasons any outsiders end up here. Which of those four describes me will likely be revealed in good time.

I'm generally very self-deprecating (read: insecure), a tad bit neurotic (read: depressed), and perhaps even witty (read: er, witty). (Suppose this might provide some insight to my heretofore mystery LA occupation.)


Another writer, eh? Behave yourself and we might let you behind the velvet ropes and into our VIP, by-invitation-only Writer's Workshop forum.

Not that it will do you much good. It's even quieter than the rest of the board these days. But a little new blood never hurt anyone.

*licks fangs*
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2010, 08:19:04 pm
And you're in LA? Don't we already have one of you? I kid. Welcome.

Yeah, but he's leaving... on that midnight train to Little Falls.

Another writer, eh?

I thought he was a standup philosopher.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 08:25:33 pm
A writer, yes. The workshop forum sounds intriguing. Sharing and discussion is the best way to improve skill and productivity, the way I see it.

Quote
I thought he was a standup philosopher.

If only. That's a niche market ripe for fresh talent. But I am lacking in both philosophical complexity and comedic bone.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 08:35:03 pm
Yeah, but he's leaving... on that midnight train to Little Falls.

A reference I might somewhat understand! I put together, from my various readings around the block, that this is a reference to one LittleFallsMets (LFM, as Wombat refers to them). There was also an allusion to an as yet unfinished novel by said TOUAMB member. I can only make an educated guess as to the distinct link being made.

I am more of the screenwriting type, which I'm studying currently at UCLA (read: prospective screenwriter/likely to remain prospective screenwriter). But I also dabble in short story and essay.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2010, 08:38:19 pm
There's a few of us writerly types who string words together for fun and/or profit (though rarely both at the same time). We seem to attract people with an overdeveloped verbosity muscle.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 21, 2010, 08:46:00 pm
Aha! The overdeveloped verbosity muscle, better known to many around the neurotic writer as that throbbing pain in the ass.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 22, 2010, 02:57:29 am
I moved to LA under the idea of screenwriting, yeah. Degree from Syracuse and everything.

My life has... not moved on a straight line.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: Lister on April 22, 2010, 07:38:21 pm
I'm technically a professional writer, I guess, though people pay more attention to the numbers I put in Excel than the words I write.

Games are kind of weird.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2010, 08:42:26 pm
I was a professional playwright, hit the big time, realized I didn't much care for the big time, then took a big step back and started pursuing another career path.  My plays are still getting attention though - one is getting a re-mount in 2011.  Might require a few re-writes. 

I recently found a message board thread where people were debating the content of my play for over a year.  I was tickled by that and printed off the entire thread, which was almost 50 pages long.  I considered posting to it in reply, but I like that people interpret my work on a personal level and never want to tell someone "no you're wrong - this is what I meant."  It was also kind of awesome to see some people bash me hard core.  People aren't honest like that to your face.  Or blatent about their racism - there was some blatent racism there too.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: pmcd9 on April 22, 2010, 11:16:02 pm
Do you trust us enough to show us this thread if we promise not to disturb their ecosystem?
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2010, 11:24:38 pm
What's your new career?

Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: robocop on April 23, 2010, 01:08:15 am
Congrats Side Show! That's awesome.

My life has... not moved on a straight line.

LittleMetsFalls, do you still work on screenwriting? Or any other form of writing? I have a feeling that no writer leads a life that moves along a straight line.

I'm technically a professional writer, I guess, though people pay more attention to the numbers I put in Excel than the words I write.

What's your career Lister?
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2010, 01:10:33 am
I'm a professional writer.

I write briefs, memoranda, statutes, regulations, letters, contracts, orders ...
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2010, 01:27:37 am
I'm a professional writer.

I write briefs, memoranda, statutes, regulations, letters, contracts, orders ...

I'm a professional writer. I write emails to my agent and wait for her to answer them.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 23, 2010, 01:40:53 am
I've been working a rather depressing and exhausting dayjob to help a family member through a medical crisis and so...

Other than poetry and short fiction that I just plonk into my journal, I haven't been doing much of anything writing-wise, no.

I'm being ejected from that situation against my will, though, and when I put my life together back on the East Coast, I'm planning on restarting my novel at least.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: Choop on April 23, 2010, 01:59:09 am
i write



code
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2010, 03:35:15 am
I write hell of message board posts.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 23, 2010, 04:01:32 am
i write love letters to your lady.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: Lister on April 24, 2010, 02:30:29 am
What's your career Lister?

I'm a game designer.  Most of what I write that people see ends up in one or two-sentence snippets.  Everything else is numbers in a DB and documents for other people to work out of.
Title: Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
Post by: dejavroom on April 24, 2010, 12:54:52 pm
I practice writing. Poems and prose. As of now I have 1 novel [80% done], 1 short story [70% done] and 1 play [5% done] to finish =P This feels weird, shouldn't this be moved to the hidden hills already?