The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 12, 2003, 08:12:22 pm

Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2003, 08:12:22 pm
Great.  Just great.  Now I'll feel guilty every time I hang up on a damn(ed) telemarketer.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: jough on December 12, 2003, 08:19:21 pm
Not me.  They're calling from HELL for a reason, after all.

And it's not the 13th yet.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2003, 08:20:11 pm
Isn't it, Jough?  Isn't it?
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Twelvebottoms on December 12, 2003, 08:27:18 pm
Glad to see Phillippe is still the Phillippe we know and love.
I should answer the phone like "I am happy to talk to you!" and they would be all "..."
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 12, 2003, 08:46:42 pm
Notice that in the 'old school' phone booth, Beef is dialing the numbers on the receiver itself.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 12, 2003, 08:57:59 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Notice that in the 'old school' phone booth, Beef is dialing the numbers on the receiver itself.


Shhhh. He all straight up changed it when we said it was a Hershey not a Snickers!
And I adore this strip. Laughing out loud at it.
I just love the idea of some satanic voice filter for cold calling.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 12, 2003, 09:01:03 pm
How does one come by money in Hell, with which to buy KFC and deli sandwiches?  Especially just after arriving?
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Twelvebottoms on December 12, 2003, 09:02:35 pm
BECAUSE
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: jay-ell on December 12, 2003, 09:02:39 pm
Apparently, you can take it with you.  But the difference is that in heaven, you don't need it.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2003, 09:04:37 pm
Hell is chock full o' multinational corporations.  Hell is all about product placements and branding.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 12, 2003, 09:13:45 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How does one come by money in Hell, with which to buy KFC and deli sandwiches?  Especially just after arriving?


There's a roll of Benjamins in the Brat's glove compartment.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: MSC on December 12, 2003, 10:04:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hell is chock full o' multinational corporations.  Hell is all about product placements and branding.


Yes, and Pacific Bell is Hell's most preferred telecommunications provider.  And, I'm guessing, Onstad's least.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 12, 2003, 10:21:29 pm
Let alone the fact that capitalism seems pretty Satanic to me...
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2003, 11:26:52 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How does one come by money in Hell, with which to buy KFC and deli sandwiches?  Especially just after arriving?


That's the thing, the only way to make money is by working at those establishments. And you know customers in hell (especially demons and shit) don't care about keepin' the bathroom neat.

I'm guessing Beef had a couple bucks on him. I mean if he could bring the spew on his chin, why not?
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: V-Adore on December 13, 2003, 12:38:36 am
Well, honestly, if Hell can give you a Brat and a lederhosen hat, a few bucks should be easy. Especially if PacBell's subsidizing this whole operation.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Paisley on December 13, 2003, 12:46:16 am
So, Philippe is all "happy to talk to you" and smiling. Did they not find Beef's charred and vomit-smeared body yet? Or does Philippe's frozen grin mask his shock and sadness?

What happened to the bodies, anyway? What happens if the cats' souls escape from Pacific Hell? Or were were they assumed bodily into damnation, like the Virgin into Heaven?
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: St_Zartan on December 13, 2003, 02:22:00 am
You'd think dying three times would quench one's thirst for suicide, but no, Beef wants a fuck*ng deli sandwich from 7-Eleven.

- Hey, Ray! Can Roast Beef read?
- I don't think so, why?

SELL BY: 01/23/83
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: jay-ell on December 13, 2003, 03:26:35 am
Quote from: "slink"
Let alone the fact that capitalism seems pretty Satanic to me...


Freakin' commie. (http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/jlcommie.jpg)
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: doomglobe on December 13, 2003, 09:24:35 am
friday the thirteenth is especially unlucky when it falls on a saturday.

I got in a fight today.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2003, 04:36:07 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
I got in a fight today.


An actual fistfight with dukes?  You didn't mention the outcome of said fight which doesn't bode well.  If one wins a fight, one usually doesn't fail to mention that fact.

Aw geez, Beef is dead again.

~Paul

edited for relevance to topic.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: side_show on December 13, 2003, 09:46:39 pm
I process Balance Transfers all freakin' day - Philippe's right to be mad.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: doomglobe on December 14, 2003, 12:25:23 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "doomglobe"
I got in a fight today.


An actual fistfight with dukes?  You didn't mention the outcome of said fight which doesn't bode well.  If one wins a fight, one usually doesn't fail to mention that fact.


no just a fight where someone jumped on me because I was trying to make him leave a party because he was being violent and people pulled us apart but not before I could rip his earing out, which I got 150$ for today at the pawn shop...

can you go to hell for that? He DID threaten to kill me.

I think the point of the franchise business in hell is the awful effect these franchises have had on our world, dramatically reducing the quality of life for everyone, and even going to the extent to cut the actual quality of product in order to better fund the people who lie to the world about the quality of the product.  I ate wendy's the other day and I still want to undo that move. I hate fast food. Ray likes it, which is probably a good thing in his situation.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Twelvebottoms on December 14, 2003, 12:54:54 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
someone jumped on me because I was trying to make him leave a party because he was being violent and people pulled us apart but not before I could rip his earing out, which I got 150$ for today at the pawn shop...


Rockin'  !

Also I have never in my entire life eaten at McDonalds.  I'm not only proud about this, I am smug about it.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2003, 01:29:11 am
Please understand that I actively detest McDonalds.  I never ever willingly eat there.  However, I must admit that I am taken aback by the idea of never having eaten at one.

McDonalds is such a ubiquitous element of our culture.  It's almost like saying you've never listened to rock music, never had an alcoholic drink, never smoked a cigarette.  It's not that these are necessarily good or healthy things to do, it's just that they are almost universal.

On further review and noticing that your location is UK (presumably this stands for the United Kingdom and not the University of Kentucky (Go Big Blue!)) this is somewhat more understandable.

I'm not really condemning you for not having eaten at a McDonalds.  I suppose I'm just suggesting that you have missed an important, if negative, element of modern culture by not having this experience.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: doomglobe on December 14, 2003, 02:18:31 am
http://www.holywater.biz/main.html
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 14, 2003, 02:19:11 am
Quote from: "Twelvebottoms"

Also I have never in my entire life eaten at McDonalds.  I'm not only proud about this, I am smug about it.


If the same goes for any other fast good chain, then I'm glad I'm not the only one, despite the fact I am proud of it. It's just nice to see I'm not the only one this wise!
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 14, 2003, 02:22:45 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

I'm not really condemning you for not having eaten at a McDonalds.  I suppose I'm just suggesting that you have missed an important, if negative, element of modern culture by not having this experience.


I don't know if things have changed or not, but I was in the UK awhile ago and although the MdDonald's 'brand' exists there, I can tell you that the food I got there was not similar to a McDonalds in the US. I didn't like it, but  I think it was more because of how different it was than what I expected.

I once heard a quote from a famous English person who remarked that the English embarked on a long period of empire-building and colonialism principally in order to find something good to eat.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: V-Adore on December 14, 2003, 02:26:09 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
its almost like saying you've never listened to rock music, never had an alcoholic drink, never smoked a cigarette.  its not that these are necessarily good or healthy things to do, its just that they are almost universal.

Allow me to raise my hand in shame on two of those. Okay, technically one, as I've sampled alcohol several times, but I've never had a full drink and am not sure when I ever will. As for the cancer sticks... no. Just no.

This may mean, though, that my only method of death will be to puke in a light socket, at which point I'll have to buy horrible sandwiches from Hell 7-11's and everything basically turns into one of Eliot's darker poems. (I saw the swarm at KFC, so many / Who would have thought that Death had claimed so many?)
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Twelvebottoms on December 14, 2003, 02:30:59 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I once heard a quote from a famous English person who remarked that the English embarked on a long period of empire-building and colonialism principally in order to find something good to eat.


Absolutely.  After good old greasy giraffe 'n' chips, Indian food is the way to go.

It is ALARMING that someone feels eating at McDonalds is as normal as taking a piss.

I once ate a chicken sandwich 'thing' at Burger King when I was helping my Uncle to move house.  I was 16 when that happnened.  That's as far as it ever went.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: andalucia on December 14, 2003, 02:38:05 am
Yep, I'm of the opinion that there is a time and a place for McDonald's, no matter how evil and repulsive it may be.  I live in a small town, and McDonald's is the only "restaurant" (as it were) within the town that's open 24 hours, and one of their crappy sundaes or (veggie)burgers can taste awfully good when it's 2 am and you're a little drunk and with a group of friends...  

But never by any means would I eat there at anything approaching a daily basis.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 14, 2003, 02:41:57 am
Quote from: "twelve bottoms"
It is ALARMING that someone feels eating at McDonalds is as normal as taking a piss.

I once ate a chicken sandwich 'thing' at Burger King when I was helping my Uncle to move house.  I was 16 when that happnened.  That's as far as it ever went.


See, there are multiple problems here in the US: first, there is a McDonald's literally in every neighborhood of big cities, and in every small town. There are McDonald's by every off-ramp of every highway. There are McDonald's in every mall food court. There are McDonald's in nearly every Wal-Mart I have been in.

The marketing to children PLUS the convenience to an automobile-associated society PLUS the semi-addictive nature of sugar and fat-laden food (and, it's very predictable in it's offerings and level of quality) has made many people in many parts of this country slaves to McDonalds. I eat at McDonalds maybe three times out of the month, I also pop in for coffee or soda when I feel like I need it. It's so much a habit that it isn't too far from taking a piss (although I worked in very dodgy parts of town in my career so I would never actually go in the bathroom most of the time). In fact, I feel like I should think about it more and consider alternatives more often.

I probably won't though. But I should.,
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Twelvebottoms on December 14, 2003, 02:50:31 am
I once followed my brother into a McDonalds "restaurant".  The enclosure smelled like rotting pork and sounded like screaming babies.  That is all.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 14, 2003, 03:03:09 am
Quote from: "Twelvebottoms"
I once followed my brother into a McDonalds "restaurant".  The enclosure smelled like rotting pork and sounded like screaming babies.  That is all.


Yea. My ex dragged me into a Burger King once. Which was utterly painful. It was kind of repulsive, with scummy people everywhere too.
And when we went to see Revolutions, Pitman decided to go get a McDonalds on the way back, which meant standing in the place at 11pm or something. And it was vile. It just smells so bad.

Plus, if you don't get mayonnaise you have to kill a member of staff!
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2003, 03:23:17 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
[...]I could rip his earing out, which I got 150$ for today at the pawn shop...


Dude, that is just *so* wrong.

You mean, "for which I got $150 today at the pawn shop" - watch out for those complex prepositions.

As for the rest of you, with your "they're/there/their" problems, are you just trying to piss me off? Sheesh. And just a day after V-Adore threatened to make it clear to all of us what the differences are.

 :disgusted:


edit: Ah. Filters. Well, ***** you, you ******* filter ***.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2003, 03:28:36 am
ahem -- earring
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 14, 2003, 03:38:32 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Well, ***** you, you ******* filter ***.


Quite.
First time I've been really pissed off at them!
Next thing, it'll be throwing apostrophes at our its's.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2003, 05:27:05 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Please understand that I actively detest McDonalds.  I never ever willingly eat their.  However, I must admit that I am taken aback by the idea of never having eaten at one.

On further review and noticing that your location is UK (presumably this stands for the United Kingdom and not the University of Kentucky (Go Big Blue!)) this is somewhat more understandable.


Having just returned from England I can attest that they are every frickin' where.

~Paul
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: Choop on December 14, 2003, 06:04:06 am
Quote from: "slink"
its's.


itses?
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: jough on December 14, 2003, 07:50:25 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
http://www.holywater.biz/main.html


That's funny.  They're about ten minutes away from here, too.

Maybe I'll stop by and pay them a visit, demand they habeas corpus a rabbi, shaman, witch doctor, and priest for my perusal.
Title: there, they' re, and there
Post by: doomglobe on December 14, 2003, 12:06:45 pm
hey guys I know this is a little off topic, but I just want to clarify:
"there" is a place, "they're" means they are, and "their" is a possessive 3rd person plural.
mixing these words up will earn you my undying hatred for all of eternity.
Title: Re: their, there, and there
Post by: slink on December 14, 2003, 02:11:49 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
hey guys I know this is a little off topic, but I just want to clarify:
"their" is a place, "there" means they are, and "there" is a possessive 3rd person plural.
mixing these words up will earn you my undying hatred for all of eternity.


Yes. You're so right!
Whoever censored them up, thankyou you just made my day!

(Although they've done it to you are, contracted, now. Goddamnit! I'm going to start killing people!)
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: andalucia on December 14, 2003, 04:21:11 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "slink"
its's.


itses?


its's, according to my writer'scraft teacher.
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: slink on December 14, 2003, 05:05:02 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

its's, according to my writer'scraft teacher.


See!
Either way, getting itses and its's wrong is less painful than Jough or JL screwing with all our its and it's!
Title: 7-11 on 12/12
Post by: jough on December 14, 2003, 06:15:53 pm
I think JL has had enough fun by this time.

Obscure censors removed.