The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on April 26, 2010, 12:43:28 pm

Title: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 26, 2010, 12:43:28 pm
Hooray! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04262010)
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: wombat on April 26, 2010, 12:46:51 pm
An animal transport specialist... doesn't mean what you think it means.

It's always better than the crap we make up when we're guessing what happens next, you know?

Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Chump Change on April 26, 2010, 01:59:13 pm
That was a million dollars well spent.

This was a pretty good way to end the arc, though. When in doubt, confuse Teodor.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Dangermoose on April 26, 2010, 03:20:03 pm
Especially when he's naked.  Although, come to mention it, I think I've had my fill of naked Teodor.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: wombat on April 26, 2010, 05:08:43 pm
"Yeah, I'd heard that." It doesn't get any better than that line.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 26, 2010, 05:14:31 pm
Onstad loves to show a naked, pudgy, sagging, worried Teodor.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 26, 2010, 06:11:54 pm
See, that WAS his dad, not his grandfather.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2010, 06:21:13 pm
you CAN go home again, only it's a different home that is your new home. YEAH.

just realized I will be going Home Again for about a week after graduation... I am suddenly very glad that after that week I will be returning to St Louis, where I will have a new apartment to arrange, a job to find, etc. I will cook my own favorite dish when I get back here.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: jaydub on April 26, 2010, 07:15:42 pm
This was the correct thread title, although I still have no idea what it means.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2010, 08:53:24 pm
See, that WAS his dad, not his grandfather.

I stand corrected.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Dangermoose on April 26, 2010, 09:15:10 pm
This was the correct thread title, although I still have no idea what it means.

I know what a cumulo-nimbus is.  From this I visualize a big pile of papists and then .... yeah.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: jaydub on April 26, 2010, 09:33:41 pm
Aha.  Steve was apparently trying to figure out how a young kid has a dead dad (not so unusual) and an aged mother (less unusual these days, but still) with his arithmetic crack.

/Captain Obvious
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 27, 2010, 12:50:14 am
I know what a cumulo-nimbus is.  From this I visualize a big pile of papists and then .... yeah.

Christ on a cracker, he means CATHOLIC FLUFF. Content-free, ostensibly religious pop-novels.

Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: lprkn on April 27, 2010, 02:18:15 am
Papist: a word sadly absent from conversation these days.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: dejavroom on April 27, 2010, 06:49:53 pm
How does "cumulo" work in this, then? Because the "fluff" part, I suppose, is covered by "daffy" already.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 27, 2010, 07:34:24 pm
How does "cumulo" work in this, then? Because the "fluff" part, I suppose, is covered by "daffy" already.

as pertains to the word cumulative, i.e.-a series.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: dejavroom on April 27, 2010, 09:17:55 pm
You think? I'm not convinced, "serials" should cover that.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 28, 2010, 03:19:41 am
You think? I'm not convinced, "serials" should cover that.

[[shrug]] in 100 years no one will care.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Chump Change on April 28, 2010, 04:17:57 am
'Cumulo' also conveys cloud imagery, which reinforces the 'fluff' idea.

I don't think there is an official limit on how many parts of a phrase can be used to convey a single idea, is there?
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: dejavroom on April 28, 2010, 12:28:47 pm
Yes there is, it's called "avoid pleonasms". If I had a point, which I'm not even sure I had anymore, is that 'Stadt sometimes strains the ol' verbiage muscle.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 28, 2010, 12:49:30 pm
Yes there is, it's called "avoid pleonasms". If I had a point, which I'm not even sure I had anymore, is that 'Stadt sometimes strains the ol' verbiage muscle.

its a feature
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Dangermoose on April 28, 2010, 03:57:34 pm
I thought "pleonasms" were what Roman aristocrats had during orgies.
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 28, 2010, 09:11:27 pm
"Haw haw, I touched your heart!"
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: oball on April 29, 2010, 05:10:41 am
Papist: a word sadly absent from conversation these days.

I use that word all the time.  I'm also fond of "Fenian".
Title: Re: 26th April, 2010 - daffy cumulo-papist serials
Post by: Drygioni on April 30, 2010, 11:05:16 pm
I use that word all the time.  I'm also fond of "Fenian".

There's a reason that's not heard often.