The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: robocop on April 27, 2010, 09:46:27 pm

Title: Very Trashy
Post by: robocop on April 27, 2010, 09:46:27 pm
Very trashy, Arizona, very trashy.

Doesn't it seem more reasonable to kick out the folks who crafted this bill? I'm sure Keith Rupert Murdoch has a private island somewhere. All with a sky high electrified fence and sniper towers.

http://i.imgur.com/zr3bL.jpg  <-- looks like the sad reality
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2010, 10:08:56 pm
Immigration stuff makes me so mad that I can't form coherent sentences sometimes. I'm working on it.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: jay-ell on April 28, 2010, 02:15:43 pm
Not sure I'm in favour of changing a dang thing. I'd hate the see the supply of maids who'll take a knee for me to strike my matches on their foreheads dry up. A cigar just tastes better when lit with a Strike-Anymaid match.

Ash, you smoke cigars? I thought you just rolled up thousand-dollar bills and smoked those.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: pmcd9 on April 28, 2010, 02:18:26 pm
Ah yes, the immigration debate.  One of those issues that is very divisive because both side are right.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: robocop on April 28, 2010, 06:42:00 pm
Yeah, I'm originally from the evangelical heartland of southern Ohio. I've felt the wrath of the other side's argument quite well. Actually, my viewpoint on a lot of things has caused more than one person I barely even knew from my HS to unfriend me.

Asherdan, can I ask: Canada? UK?
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: robocop on April 28, 2010, 10:29:24 pm
Asherdan, I only asked because of "favoUr."

And I know that hill. I'm across the valley.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 07, 2010, 03:25:33 pm
this is a reply to  comment by an old friend who is running for office in a different community of PA than i live in.  he posted a status update on facebook about a bill that is up for voting in PA that is a lot like the one in AZ.

OP: Have you read HB2479? This is an attempt to pass Arizona-style immigration laws in Pennsylvania. Rep. Metcalfe has done a lot to support individual liberties and freedom, but I don't like this bill. It brings to mind the words of F.A. Hayek's "Road to Serfdom"..."Early step of all dictators is to inflame the majority against some scapegoat minority. In Germany, the negative aim was Anti-Semitism." This bill does not promote freedom...it promotes paranoia and an even more pervasive nanny state. Please read the bill and see for yourself. (if you care to read it, click here (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2479&pn=3715)

comment: Having learned more about the AZ law, I don't see how it or this can be likened to Nazi Germany. This country was built on LEGAL immigration and it is an insult to all legal immigrants not to enforce and deter illegal entry into this country.

This is not singling out any minority group or any particular faith (as in anti-Semitism).

How can you say enforcing immigration laws promotes a nanny state? This is not the gov. telling us how to live, where to live, what to eat, how to behave, etc.


OPer reply:Let's be honest - the enforcement of this law is going to be HARSHLY biased against Mexicans and people with darker skin. The fact of the matter is that the Arizona law and Pennsylvania bill give the local police the ability to stop you and demand your papers based on reasonable suspicion. REASONABLE SUSPICION! If an illegal immigrant from Britain and an illegal immigrant from Mexico are driving down the road, which one is the police officer going to stop based on reasonable suspicion?

The law itself does not single out any minority, but the unintended consequence will be that the enforcement of the law will be biased. I guarantee it.

Our country did not have immigration laws for some time. It only became a problem when we started subsidizing illegal immigration through the creation of the welfare state...we now REWARD illegal immigrants for coming here. The solution must be economic in nature - end the welfare state!

Maybe nanny state isn't the right term...maybe this is simply a "big government" law. Either way, it infringes on our rights and will lead to an increase in hate and violence against human beings. I don't like it.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 07, 2010, 06:21:23 pm
Yeah, this law basically seems like an excuse for someone in authority to be a dick to Hispanic people whenever they feel it necessary.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: robocop on May 08, 2010, 06:22:28 am
greenkoolayd - Thanks for that. the op has a very well formed argument. It's basically what those opposed to the law have been saying, but the op has a very well formed response. I don't understand how anyone can see it any other way besides leading to increased racial profiling. I like the British illegal v. Mexican illegal example, but I tend to use Canadians instead of Brits...
I wonder, though, of your friend's political affiliation. I seemed to get some distinctly libertarian vibes from their response.

Asherdan - I can appreciate your attempt to provoke a response (<--- it obviously works). I do wonder if a joke stretched out, though, starts to lose its satirical holdings.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: Choop on May 08, 2010, 06:36:05 am
if i go back to arizona before this law is repealed i'm going to wear a maple leafs jersey and carry my passport. just to see what happens, eh?
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: robocop on May 08, 2010, 07:28:46 am
if i go back to arizona before this law is repealed i'm going to wear a maple leafs jersey and carry my passport. just to see what happens, eh?

Make an effort to look reasonably suspicious.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: miles on May 08, 2010, 03:57:53 pm
I like the British illegal v. Mexican illegal example, but I tend to use Canadians instead of Brits...

This (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sarver-100504) is an OK article about Phoenix wearing their "Los Suns" jerseys on Cinco de Mayo, which apparently was owner Robert Sarver's way of protesting the law. Which may have been ballsy because isn't the law wildly popular among Arizonans?

But I liked this bit:

Quote
It's not too hard to guess who will be asked to provide their papers (Hint: They're more likely to look like Leandro Barbosa than like Steve Nash).

Ah yes, the immigration debate.  One of those issues that is very divisive because both side are right.

Yeah, with the Mexican drug violence especially prevalent along the border, I can seen why border residents are spooked.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 08, 2010, 05:10:48 pm
if i go back to arizona before this law is repealed i'm going to wear a maple leafs jersey and carry my passport. just to see what happens, eh?

Probably the exact same thing that would happen if you wore a Coyotes jersey.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 08, 2010, 09:09:39 pm
A hillside in SoCal.

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z120/Asherdan93/Drop081025075.jpg)
Asherdan is actually Llewelyn Moss from No country for old men. He even picks up the shells to reload them after he hunts.
Title: Re: Very Trashy
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 08, 2010, 10:11:45 pm
greenkoolayd - Thanks for that. the op has a very well formed argument. It's basically what those opposed to the law have been saying, but the op has a very well formed response. I don't understand how anyone can see it any other way besides leading to increased racial profiling. I like the British illegal v. Mexican illegal example, but I tend to use Canadians instead of Brits...
I wonder, though, of your friend's political affiliation. I seemed to get some distinctly libertarian vibes from their response.

im not exactly sure, here is his not-personal-FB page: Doug Walters (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Doug-Walters-for-State-Representative/464194115130?v=info&ref=ts)

it says hes a repub, but i know for a fact that he isnt a nut job.  maybe im biased because i know him personally, but i feel that he isnt the douchehole  sort of righty, as pertaining to his personal beliefs and political aspirations.