The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: lprkn on May 06, 2010, 04:20:01 am

Title: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: lprkn on May 06, 2010, 04:20:01 am
¡Yay!

(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/lprkn/tequila-kitten.jpg)
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: linnea on May 06, 2010, 05:25:02 am
I LOVE IT!!!
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 06, 2010, 01:39:21 pm
Some years back, I got home from work at the same time as one of my roommates.  "Whatcha doing for dinner?"  "I dunno.  Wanna go out somewhere?"  "How about... Rio Grande?"  So we get there, and there's a 90 minute wait for a table.  So we went to another, less-popular Mexican restaurant nearby.  It was really crowded too, more than we'd ever seen it, but we got a table.

Once we got drinks, I realized.  "Hey, today's Cinco de Mayo, isn't it?" 
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2010, 02:09:31 pm
We neglected to buy limes, so did not celebrate Cinco de Mayo with margaritas. But I woke up with a headache anyway. So unfair.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 06, 2010, 02:50:58 pm
i dont really care about Mexicos independence, so i tend to not celebrate cinco de mayo.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: Choop on May 06, 2010, 03:15:03 pm
not to worry, gka. it ain't about mexico's independence. that's sept. 15.

on 5 may 18XX mexican forces at puebla fought back invading french troops and repelled the attack. this is why cincodemayo is celebrated in puebla, mexico.

the next day the french came back and won. this is why it isn't celebrated anywhere else in mexico.

people like tequila and beer with lime, and 'cinco de mayo' is a catchy name for a party. this is why it's celebrated so many places around the world outside mexico.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 06, 2010, 04:11:30 pm
not to worry, gka. it ain't about mexico's independence. that's sept. 15.

on 5 may 18XX mexican forces at puebla fought back invading french troops and repelled the attack. this is why cincodemayo is celebrated in puebla, mexico.

the next day the french came back and won. this is why it isn't celebrated anywhere else in mexico.

thanks for clearing that up.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: jay-ell on May 06, 2010, 04:14:27 pm
Cinco de Mayo is just St. Patrick's Day with a different culture.

I don't really celebrate either one.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: Choop on May 06, 2010, 04:41:16 pm
is it bad that i misread that as
Cinco de Mayo is just St. Patrick's Day with a different culture.

I'm not really celibate either one.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2010, 05:23:11 pm
I like your version better Choop.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: jay-ell on May 06, 2010, 06:19:24 pm
Indeed, as hilarious as it is true.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: theinevitable on May 07, 2010, 09:17:15 pm
the street where I did this research project I'm finishing up is the only Latin area of St Louis. They have a huge festival tomorrow with a parade, cheap(er) food, etc. I am PUMPED.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 08, 2010, 02:18:00 am
See, my mind froze up and forgot that "Latin" also means "Latino" and not...

The language. "There's a section of St. Louis where they all speak Latin? Do they wear togas?"
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: AugustWest on May 08, 2010, 02:25:38 am
Where is the Latin area of St Louis?  I know about the Italians and the Bosnians, but where are the Latinos?
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2010, 02:39:34 am
Cherokee street. (between South Grand/Tower Grove and Soulard). Apparently the overall area is Benton Park West, but this one street has all the latino-owned businesses, at least for a couple of blocks. If you keep going you end up in... an antiques district?

There is kind of tension, though, because it is also becoming a big Hipster/Artist type area. record stores, lofts, etc.

this is the place I was talking about where there is a frustrating dialog of "FUCK GENTRIFICATION. YOU'RE RUINING OUR STREET." "Before I opened my record store here, this storefront had been abandoned for 10 years."
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 08, 2010, 02:53:41 am
A really good movie could be written using zombies as a metaphor for hipster gentrification.

Not by me, I hate fuck*ng horror movies and I couldn't figure out how to sell a script IN Los Angeles, let alone where I'm heading back to but...

It's probably the one goddamned thing that HASN'T been the metaphor in a fuck*ng zombie movie.

Maybe they need goddamned PBR instead of brains.

"Night of the Ironic Tee-Shirts". Something like that.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2010, 03:07:04 am
except in this movie, it would be like, hey, these zombies are bringing money into our area and rehabbing old abandoned buildings.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: AugustWest on May 08, 2010, 03:10:57 am
Cherokee street. (between South Grand/Tower Grove and Soulard). Apparently the overall area is Benton Park West, but this one street has all the latino-owned businesses, at least for a couple of blocks. If you keep going you end up in... an antiques district?


Really?  That's about 3 blocks from where Mrs. West's brother and his family live, just south of Grand and Arsenal.  I had no idea.  Nice neighborhood, though.  When Mrs. West and I first met we didn't live very far from there, across the street from the Botanical Garden on Alfred.  Also a cool neighborhood.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 08, 2010, 03:11:44 am
Well, I'm sure that in a normal zombie movie, if you asked The Environment it would love the zombies too.

When all the human race can do is stumble around eating each others' brains, there's not much time put into polluting.

It's all context and all what you value.

If someone takes your childhood home, you know, and turns it into a Starbucks and the manager uses your old bedroom to jerk off to anime on his breaks... hey, the building looks nicer, there's more jobs in the area. But it's a tragedy to you and your memory. It's just in figuring out which is the more important value set.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2010, 03:51:04 am
in the battle between someone's memory of living in a building that is now abandoned, and actual people actually living in the building, I know which one I would pick every time.

yeah, Aug, that area is RAD. My friends who have stayed in St Louis after graduation all live around South Grand.
Title: Re: ¡Cinco de Mayo!
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 08, 2010, 04:33:29 am
......where are the Latinos?

wherever hes at, dogg.