The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
The Wide World of Webcomics => Daisy Owl => Topic started by: wombat on June 03, 2010, 12:01:38 pm
-
http://daisyowl.com/comic/2010-06-03 (http://daisyowl.com/comic/2010-06-03)
This comic really is just like Achewood, I had forgot that sometimes there is a comic.
-
The next 6 comics will be entirely silent as the characters are all trying not to trip any sound-activated alarms systems.
-
Perhaps he could beseech the heavens for some fingers?
-
Oh man I hope they didn't get in too much trouble during the heist.
-
They apparently didn't make bail.
-
Driscoll posted this over on the Cracked forums a few days ago:
A few people have pointed me towards this thread, so let me try and explain what's up:
When I started the comic, it was something I did because I loved it. It certainly didn't hurt that lots of strangers on the internet seemed to like it too. My readership grew from a few friends, to a hundred people, to tens of thousands. Less than a year later, I had saved up enough money to quit my job and try to do it full time.
But then it shifted from something I loved doing, into something I had to do. Instead of drawing a comic when I had a funny idea, I had to UPDATE. And then I had to take time from comics, and spend it on making shirts and posters and prints, and ordering them, and packing them, and mailing them, all for very little profit. I won't lie, it was fun to call myself a PROFESSIONAL WEBCOMIC ARTIST, but the reality is that it just took all the joy out of something I used to love doing.
I'm not done with comics, or Daisy Owl, for that matter. I want to create things more than ever, and I'm always thinking of new stories and characters. Stuff that wouldn't necessarily fit into a daily* comic format. But if I force myself to treat my passion in life as a chore, I will just slowly morph into Jim Davis.
At the moment, I'm doing some programming to pay the bills, and working on some projects that might turn into something more. So no, nothing terrible has happened to me, nor am I buried under a pile of attractive women. Not today, at least.
*okay okay, biweekly at best
-
But don't fret! Nedroid has volunteered to step up for the time being:
Tell you what, Driscoll. I'll take over Daisy Owl while you get everything sorted out. Sound good?
(http://nedroid.com/imagesb/newdaisyowladventures.png)
-
FLUMP.
-
I think there is a happy medium between a hobby and being Jim Davis. I hope he finds it.
-
Hey Oball, where is that thread on Cracked? I couldn't find it. Has there been any more news from him?
I went over to the site and found that he has taken down all the discussion threads. I guess he must have gotten tired of people posting to ask if he was coming back?
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I did keep saying that this comic was so good, I didn't know what I had done to deserve it. I must have finally done something bad and made it go away.
-
Hell with that, I don't even eat M&M's anymore since they replaced the tan ones with blue.
-
Hey Oball, where is that thread on Cracked? I couldn't find it. Has there been any more news from him?
I went over to the site and found that he has taken down all the discussion threads. I guess he must have gotten tired of people posting to ask if he was coming back?
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I did keep saying that this comic was so good, I didn't know what I had done to deserve it. I must have finally done something bad and made it go away.
http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/35472/daisy-owl (http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/35472/daisy-owl)
He posted the other day to confirm that he was alive, but that's pretty much it. I haven't seen him round much on IRC lately either.
The discussion threads got taken down when the last comic got posted, and he set up a phpBB discussion board instead of the old forum. Then, because the people who posted there were all like thirteen, they started bitching and moaning about how they liked the old forum better and this was an outrage, so he nuked the whole thing.
-
OMG, he nuked a messageboard? Really, the similarities are uncanny. Maybe it will turn out all right in the end.
-
Yeah we should find where they set up their rogue messageboard.
Not that we'd be able to post there without them running us off of course, but still, it would be good to know there are others out there.
-
does this help (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+official+unofficial+daisy+owl+board)
-
http://treehouse.justforum.net/forum.htm (http://treehouse.justforum.net/forum.htm)
Linked on the Daisy Owl Facebook page.
-
does this help (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+official+unofficial+daisy+owl+board)
Do you realize that googling "the official unofficial daisy owl board" links you right back to this thread, right?
Recursion FTW.
-
(see sig)
-
Yeah, wasn't sure if that was intentional or not, coming from you...
-
the sig predates the link by juuuust under a year (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5305.0.html)
-
Uncanny.
-
Wait, there are two rogue forums?
http://dragonmtn.com/index.php?topic=458.20
I actually saw Driscoll live and in person just last night. He said to tell you all that he hates you.
If I was CortJstr I'd be able to find the post where I came back from the signing in Brooklyn where Onstad said to tell you all "fuck you."
UNcanny.
-
Dragon Mountain is a forum for people from Pointless Waste of Time who no longer want to post there since it became Cracked. It's on Driscoll's server space but has nothing to do with Daisy Owl.
-
Wait, there are two rogue forums?
http://dragonmtn.com/index.php?topic=458.20
If I was CortJstr I'd be able to find the post where I came back from the signing in Brooklyn where Onstad said to tell you all "fuck you."
UNcanny.
Harder to find than I thought: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4715.msg126301.html#msg126301
-
Aww, I'm so cute in that thread.
-
What the fuck is Daisy Owl?
-
It was a webcomic. Quite a good one, too.
-
Correction, it was a web comic that we killed by drawing attention to it.
Or another cautionary tale of why a writer shouldn't get too close to his audience.
It was a good comic though.
-
We're like the King Midas of webcomics.
Everything we touch as fans turns to gold, freezes in place and dies.
-
I feel I killed this one personally. I am relieved that Smells thinks there is some collective guilt.
-
this is why we cant have nice things!
-
We haven't killed Deathray's strip (http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2011/01/05/weapon-brown-202/) yet, but it probably didn't collect the critical mass of Touamb notice.
-
Perhaps I should do him a favor and not click.
-
We haven't killed Deathray's strip (http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2011/01/05/weapon-brown-202/) yet, but it probably didn't collect the critical mass of Touamb notice.
I noticed it, but I didn't find it funny so I've since ignored it.
-
Probably just as well for him.
-
Hey, remember Daisy Owl? That was a really good strip.
-
Who reads comics?
-
Who reads messageboards?
-
Who reads comics?
Who reads messageboards?
Who gets tiny cans of Dr. Pepper?