The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on July 21, 2010, 04:49:24 pm

Title: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Asherdan on July 21, 2010, 04:49:24 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 21, 2010, 04:57:09 pm
Oh man, what a blow, it said I write like Stephen King.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: AugustWest on July 21, 2010, 04:59:14 pm
I got two David Foster Wallaces, a Raymond Chandler and a Cory Doctorow.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 21, 2010, 05:03:20 pm
I did this the other day. One of my video game reviews and my most recent post in the "Tacos!" thread both came out as Dan Brown. I don't know how to feel about that; I've never read any of his stuff.

The main page of my professional blog came out as Cory Doctorow. Another professional blog post and an article about video games were Lovecraft-eque, apparently. And a marketing sheet I did for a client recently was Margaret Atwood. But the stuff that feels most natural and is the least self-edited seems to consistently come out as Dan Brown.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2010, 05:04:33 pm
That thing is pretty bogus actually.

Quote
Chestnykh modeled the site on software for e-mail spam filters

http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713 (http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713)
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 21, 2010, 05:07:14 pm

http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713 (http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713)

Quote
"I had a typewriter when I was 6 years old," he said. "But I'm not a published writer and I don't think I write very good."
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 21, 2010, 05:11:51 pm
I pasted-ed-ed in four of my journal entries and I got two Wallaces, one Palahnuik and one Vonnegut.

I have no idea if this is signifcant or not.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 21, 2010, 05:33:20 pm
I put in some blog posts and got either Stephen King or Kurt Vonnegut.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: AugustWest on July 21, 2010, 05:45:16 pm
both came out as Dan Brown. I don't know how to feel about that; I've never read any of his stuff.


Mmmmmm....  Well...
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2010, 06:03:57 pm
I seriously don't think you need to worry that a spam filter thinks you write like Dan Brown.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 21, 2010, 06:07:16 pm
Well, I mean, if a PERSON told me I write like Dan Brown, should I worry?

The guy might be an idiot, but if he's a best-selling idiot, his writing must be at least good enough to get published. And I'm OK with that.

I would not mind being a best-selling author, is what I'm saying, even if most of the people who bought my book ultimately ended up hating me.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2010, 06:11:51 pm
I would not mind being a best-selling author, is what I'm saying, even if most of the people who bought my book ultimately ended up hating me.

And I'd rather have five people buy my books and love me. I am lousy at business.

But really, I don't think there's any point in giving a moment's thought to who a spam filter thinks you write like.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: theinevitable on July 21, 2010, 06:34:58 pm
my theory, based on how many people get dan brown, is that dan brown is what you get if your writing doesn't fit any of the other authors.

I got Dan Brown for a paper for school. long annoying touamb posts got cory doctorow.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 21, 2010, 06:44:44 pm
And I'd rather have five people buy my books and love me. I am lousy at business.

But really, I don't think there's any point in giving a moment's thought to who a spam filter thinks you write like.

Probably not, but it's kind of fun.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2010, 07:23:41 pm
It would be fun if it were well done.  But reading that it's just a spam filter that compares vocabulary, to only fifty authors, and seeing that it gives everyone the same answers anyway, that's no fun at all.

You know, I miss the old days when it was hard to make an internet quiz and the people who did it, put some real work into it. Get off of my lawn.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: AugustWest on July 21, 2010, 07:36:34 pm
It would be fun if it were well done.  But reading that it's just a spam filter that compares vocabulary, to only fifty authors, and seeing that it gives everyone the same answers anyway, that's no fun at all.


Lighten up, Francis Frances.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: side_show on July 21, 2010, 07:58:36 pm
WTF?  

This post (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2513.msg55325.html#msg55325) = Stephen King?

This post (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2392.msg97551.html#msg97551) = David Foster Wallace?

This blog post (http://www.iwl.me/b/cfe99843) = Dan Brown?

There's a strong lack of vag. with these authors, no?
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jaydub on July 21, 2010, 08:16:13 pm
Five Touamb posts of at least 3 paragraphs length.  Five different authors, including James Joyce and Charles Dickens.  Impenetrable and wordy - not characteristics I was hoping for.

I wonder - if you grabbed some selections from those authors whether the device would correctly identify them.


Edit:  4/5 correct identifications for excerpts from Cory Doctorow, DFW, and Dan Brown.  An unpublished excerpt from DFW was written in the style of Stephen King apparently.

I had no idea who Cory Doctorow was before this, and on quick inspection seems to write stuff I might like - so thanks for that!
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2010, 08:18:57 pm
OK, so, trying not to be a party pooper, I went and pasted in the first page of something I wrote, and it came back as Cory Doctorow, which seems to be one of the answers it gives everyone. And I went and read the first page of something of his on Amazon, which is in the third person and all narration, when mine was first person and half dialogue.

I say, bummer. It's something that could be so interesting if done correctly, but the idea has been taken by someone whose implementation is crap. That is not fun, that is sad.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 21, 2010, 08:58:48 pm
http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/07/21/i-write-like-who/
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 22, 2010, 12:02:45 am
Yeah, dude really digs on like the angle that makes sports fun for me.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 22, 2010, 06:30:25 pm
There is nothing better in philosophical-style science fiction than some good deep Dick-ing.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 22, 2010, 06:41:50 pm
There is nothing better in philosophical-style science fiction than some good deep Dick-ing.

Women who read romance novels instead of sci-fi just need some good deep Dick-ing.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 22, 2010, 07:05:06 pm
Women who read romance novels instead of sci-fi just need some good deep Dick-ing.

wouldnt that be common among a lot of women, despite their reading preferences?
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: jay-ell on July 22, 2010, 07:13:16 pm
That assumes that most women aren't already getting Dick-ing. I mean, presumably there's a large percentage of the population that is already sufficiently Dick-ed.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2010, 07:15:55 pm
I consider it a public service to do all the dicking I do.

I'm like, dick dick dick.

(sorry, I forgot you don't like it when I talk about my dicking)
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: robot_god on July 22, 2010, 11:30:31 pm
How many dicks is that?
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2010, 03:10:52 am
I like Dick but find he's kind of divisive, you don't want to recommend or lend to someone until you get to know them, let alone espouse his philosophy.

Don't be a Dick to strangers is what I'm saying I guess.

On another note I had a friend who loved his idea of the Exegesis  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exegesis_%28book%29)and was psyched that they were publishing some of it, so I guess some of you might as well.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2010, 03:53:41 am
I think Dick is overrated.  He's kind of a lousy writer and I give his ideas a B+ at best.  I can think of several SF writers of his generation that I respect more.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Doc on July 23, 2010, 03:57:09 am
I'm actually not huge on Dick. Some of my female friends really love Dick (and some guys too) but Dick has never managed to touch me like Asimov, say.

Really I only brought Dick up to pass the time on a boring friday afternoon.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 23, 2010, 05:18:04 am
Someone around here once suggested that if I ever have a reason to write an autobiography, I should entitle it "Some Bullshit Exegesis".

I've always loved that.

I would title my online journal that but that website don't dig swears.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: side_show on July 23, 2010, 02:19:02 pm
I had some Dick time back in my day, it was a rough ride, and he's not my usual type.  It was a singular affair and I never looked back.

Also, I just pasted some Doctorow from Ash's link into the "I write like" and it came back Stephen King.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Choop on July 23, 2010, 03:01:47 pm
I think Dick is overrated.  He's kind of a lousy writer and I give his ideas a B+ at best.  I can think of several SF writers of his generation that I respect more.

Heinlein
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: AugustWest on July 23, 2010, 05:46:18 pm
Hell, I like Niven better than Dick.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 31, 2011, 06:18:37 am
Quote from: TOUAMB
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Fuck you, I've been here since the start and I don't have to follow your stupid rules. Plus it's slow around here.

Dick has some interesting ideas, but he was a serious dick. Heinlein is fun to read and also has some interesting ideas, but he also has some pretty stupid ideas - which is not to say I haven't read all his stuff (random fact I just learned - the various branches of the military have official reading lists, and Starship Troopers is in there).

When I want sci-fi I want Varley, Niven/Pournelle, Harrison (fun and often silly), Verne, Wells, Douglas Adams, Bradbury (but jesus is he uneven) and Fred Brown. William Gibson is good . . . but I think a little goes a long way. Everybody probably ought to read Vonnegut, but I wonder about folks who always put him in the top five. He's one of those guys that I feel like you read him and then you move on after a bit. Huxley's in the top 20 or something as is Burgess and Ballard. I liked reading Orson Scott Card's books, and along the same lines Nancy Kress. I haven't really dialled into Bester and Van Vogt and Doc Smith and those guys like I should - I've read some of that stuff but not enough. Harlan Ellison . . . . some stuff is good and some is pretty annoying. Neil Gaiman is obviously awesome.

Also, I wrote this post in the style of Cory Doctorow.
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 31, 2011, 07:16:11 am
No love for Asimov?
Title: Re: Really, I write like...What?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 31, 2011, 07:39:27 am
No love for Asimov?

This probably ought to go in the other thread, but I've never read an Asimov work, other than some weird trivia book he put out.