The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on July 22, 2010, 04:51:54 pm

Title: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2010, 04:51:54 pm
OK guys so this thread is about Inception.



OK actually I just wanted a thread to say mean things about Ash that he wouldn't read. He is a big jerk, what a jerk. He complains about spoilers. Hahha. *bronx cheer at ash*





Anyway, Inception.

The one thing I cannot figure out, and my friend who has seen it twice thinks this isn't a problem:
when he and Mal (SP?) grow old together in "limbo," we see them in limbo. As old people.
But then we are also shown them killing themselves to escape from limbo... as young people.

What?
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Drygioni on July 22, 2010, 04:59:52 pm
fuck*ng hell. Thanks a lot Inev.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on July 22, 2010, 05:04:58 pm
one theory i've read about that is: they grew old in limbo because they forgot it was limbo. once they remembered, they shed the appearance of age and did what they could to escape.

the theory i like to trot out at this point is that the director didn't want to raise either two issues: first, multiple actors in the same role; second, the impact of old-age makeup on Saito in the temple at beginning/end.

what absolutely cracks me up with laughter is that people think they can figure out the whole thing, that the ending (and the film as a whole) isn't meant to be completely ambiguous, that the audience isn't supposed to know from the film where Cobb is in that last scene. if the film resolved itself, the whole concept would be shot.

the review (analysis?) at CHUD (http://chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html) is really really interesting and posits a great theory wrapped in a pretentious shell.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2010, 05:17:00 pm
my friend thinks, for some reason, that when we see them getting hit by the train it is in his memory/dream that he keeps going back to, not the time it "really" happened.

yeah, I came out of it saying "wait, why do people have "theories" about this movie? What is there to theorize about? I felt like it was pretty straightforward. The ending is kind of ambiguous. So what? Have people never seen a movie like that before?"
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2010, 06:42:23 pm
Dang, I thought this was the thread where we talk about Ash behind his back.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2010, 06:45:19 pm
we can do that.

i almost gave him a can earlier, but then I thought twice.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: robot_god on July 22, 2010, 11:17:08 pm
yeah, I came out of it saying "wait, why do people have "theories" about this movie? What is there to theorize about? I felt like it was pretty straightforward. The ending is kind of ambiguous. So what? Have people never seen a movie like that before?"

Yes.  YES.  Oh god it is the most overrated film that has ever been discussed by nerd-blind fansters.  The fansters have to support the movie so that they can continue to say that Dark Knight is amazing (Chris Nolan director also Batman Begins and Memento).  There are holes in the plot everywhere.  It is very poorly paced and the last 45 minutes in a normal editors film would take up 15 minutes.  The dreams are BLANNNND, dominated by Jacob's Ladder.  There is one decent, minute long fight scene that is dominated by Matrix 2 and 1 (and the Animatrix).  There is one good big-screen-visuals scene that was spoiled in the trailer.  The trailer spoiled all the special effects, I knew that was gonna be the case, but the trailer and hype made you expect a stunning-effect-fest.  There are no characters, paper-thin backstory to the main character and all the other characters have ABSOLUTELY NO BACKSTORY WHATSOEVER.  Who gives a fuck about any character?

Now facebook is littered with serious discussions about the plot from people whom I formerly respected their film opinions.  It's a usual Nolan bang-up rush job which was made and marketed to high school freshmen and somehow every nerdster fanster got a hard on so hard their cocks bled through the pores.

Like, I thought the overrating of the Hangover was bad, that was NOTHING compared to this shit.  IMDB is rating it like a 9.3.  It's really like a 4.7.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on July 22, 2010, 11:32:35 pm
i really enjoyed it, thought i got my money's worth. shouted YAY and clapped at the end, and all that; just thought it was a great movie. but then the internet went WHOOPWHOOP BEST EVAR and i'm like, yeah it was really good, but come on, it's okay for people to have enjoyed it less than you or not at all. it's just a movie, y'all.

and robodog i've already seen each of your criticisms explained away and reasoned around, and that's cool. OH GOD IT WOBBLED THE TOP WOBBLED HRNNGGGGGGGHHH
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 22, 2010, 11:33:12 pm
I dunno.

I really enjoyed DARK KNIGHT.

It wasn't a heartbreaking work of genius or nothing but it was a well-done, smarter-than-average summer popcorn flick with a mesmerizing performance by Ledger that was admittedly half about the facts of his demise but context is context is context, you know, you can't just eliminate context like that. A isn't A, of course.

If you know people saying that is an all-time classic, they're crazy, but it was fun as hell and significantly less dumb than it could have been.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on July 22, 2010, 11:36:57 pm
there can never be another joker after heath ledger

(nevermind that people said the same thing about nicholson)

here's the thing. i think chris nolan makes movies to entertain people at the theater. i don't think he gives a rat's ass about pirates or home viewers or even critics, really, i just think he wants to put some entertaining shit on bigass screens. and he's really damned good at that, but his last few films kind of fall apart under very much scrutiny from an angle he doesn't care about. so? i'm still paying for a ticket and a popcorn when his next movie hits the plex.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: robot_god on July 22, 2010, 11:50:05 pm
Without Ledger, Dark Knight would be unwatchable.  The entire Two-Face third act of the movie was tacked on, disposable.  Lame.  The Joker is so entertaining and the rest of the film makes me feel like I'm in a coma.


I agree with everything everyone said in this thread.  I'm so happy, yous guys have renewed my faith in humanity.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 23, 2010, 12:10:32 am
Oh, the way they handled the Two-Face thing sucked, yeah.

Setting up Harvey for a full Two-Face movie in the next movie would'a been fine.

Tacking on a whole other movie, yeah, that part didn't work.
Title: Batman Sucks A$$
Post by: pmcd9 on July 23, 2010, 03:28:57 am
Wait, y'all are talking about a new Batman movie?  Goodbye.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: theinevitable on July 23, 2010, 04:19:43 am
i thought inception was pretty fun, whatever, i enjoyed it.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: robot_god on July 23, 2010, 07:04:48 am
I refer to it as The Saw Effect.  When I saw Saw I in the theater, it was so enjoyable and surprising.  As it ended, I thought, great.  But as I was walking out of the theater, I started to realize it was kind of bad, and the more and more time got removed, the less I liked it.

This is a prime example.  I kind of enjoyed the theater experience despite the disappointment.  But each minute after it ended, I just liked it less and less.  When my alarm went off the next morning, my first thought was, 'that whole thing sucked a big one SUXX BADD,' then I hit the snooze button.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: robot_god on July 23, 2010, 07:06:04 am
The last blockbuster movie I liked was District-9.  Awesome!  That is an action movie!
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on July 23, 2010, 03:35:55 pm
(http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l60izr3lbU1qzwaddo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2010, 02:49:31 pm
I just came from it and liked it, in response to inev's original thing when it's 'revealed' that they grew old together in the dream world (it had pretty much said so before multiple times) it has a couple of flashes of them as old people including one of them crossing hands over the railroad track that mirrors the earlier scene when they looked younger. So yeah, I guess the original just looked like it did because it was someone telling a story but leaving out the details.

I had a great time, I think there were cool concepts like the timing changes between different dream levels that were used well. I thought the idea of three set pieces happening simultaneously is awesome. I don't think there need to be any theories about it beyond 'was he dreaming or not?' which is a question I'm happy to leave unanswered. I liked the original inception on the wife (Mal, maul, whatever) as a metaphor for poisoning a relationship, I liked the catharsis when he said that the real her was too complicated for him to remember perfectly.

If I was going to speculate on whether he was dreaming or not I'd say the fact that he went down to his deepest subconscious and let go of his wife's memory so he could come back to his family would lend credence to the idea that the whole thing was a dream and actually some kind of therapy for Cobb set up by his father or whoever Michael Caine was.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on July 24, 2010, 04:18:37 pm
if i figured right, caine was mal's father, married to frenchie 'grandma' from the phone chat in act 1
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Doc on July 25, 2010, 02:22:31 am
Yeah that probably makes more sense.

The problem with this movie is that anything that doesn't quite make sense you can't be sure if it's just a fuck up or a deliberate 'because it was a dream, get it!'.

Having slept on it (and having a weird dream about escaping from a van underwater because of some weird bet made by people at a bar at my old high school and involving people who were boarding at my parent's old house, all of which made perfect sense) the ending is reminding me most of the origami unicorn in blade runner and I think that's a good comparison. It's an ambiguous ending but it doesn't take away from the story that preceded it.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2010, 05:26:29 pm
woke up in the middle of the night with a "theory" about what was "really going on" in Inception.

My new rule: I only want to hear your Inception theory if it came to you in a dream.

(it made no sense and involved "THEY NEVER SHOWED _____" even though they did, multiple times.)
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 26, 2010, 05:41:41 pm
(http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l60izr3lbU1qzwaddo1_500.jpg)

HA!
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: lprkn on July 30, 2010, 01:19:37 am
A thing about the music in the movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM).
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: lprkn on August 12, 2010, 04:23:32 pm
(http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8392/jipqw.jpg)
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: side_show on October 13, 2010, 02:10:59 am
I saw Inception this weekend, at IMAX, after having intentionally avoided all information on it prior.  Overall, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't in love with it.  There was a point in the middle where I was just bored as hell and considered leaving, but it was mostly watchable, though not great or anything. 

The one thing that Inception did bring to mind was that the actress who played Mal, Marion Cotillard, won an Oscar for BRILLIANTLY playing Edith Piaf in the French language film La Vie en Rose, and Piaf's song "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" is the one used in Inception as the waking song.  That was a nice connect, as La Vie en Rose plays with memory, association and reality as well.  I liked La Vie en Rose about 100 times better than Inception though.  There was a lot more depth.
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: miles on October 13, 2010, 03:08:49 am
There was a point in the middle where I was just bored as hell and considered leaving, but it was mostly watchable, though not great or anything.

I didn't like it that much, and that part was probably the same part during which I fell asleep. At first I thought I should probably give it another chance because how can you really judge a movie when you slept through a good portion of it, you know? But then I thought, well, if I can sit through Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev and Mirror without falling asleep, I'm probably not the problem. I mean it's not like I have a short attention span or need violence and sex every frame (though it's much appreciated).
Title: Re: SPOILER ALERT DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD ASH
Post by: Choop on October 13, 2010, 04:38:30 am
The one thing that Inception did bring to mind was that the actress who played Mal, Marion Cotillard, won an Oscar for BRILLIANTLY playing Edith Piaf in the French language film La Vie en Rose, and Piaf's song "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" is the one used in Inception as the waking song.

A thing about the music in the movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM).