The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: side_show on July 28, 2010, 06:50:01 pm

Title: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: side_show on July 28, 2010, 06:50:01 pm
My hubby and I occasionally joke that we would like to clone our pets.  Seems like that option is not as close as I once thought it was. (http://www.bioarts.com/press_release/ba09_09_09.htm)  Fascinating press release though.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2010, 06:57:43 pm
Somehow I missed that. Very interesting.

As someone who's married to one of a pair of identical twins, I've never been tempted to clone my pets.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: fanta on August 04, 2010, 10:30:52 am

Quote
One clone of a male donor was actually born female (we still have no good explanation for how that happened).


Quote
For every dog cloned by RNL in the future, it’s likely that a dozen or more will be slaughtered for food as a direct result.


I dunno... is there anything so terrible about eating dogs? 

Hell we'll need to be eating humans soon enough if we don't stop having so many kids...
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2010, 01:05:15 pm


I dunno... is there anything so terrible about eating dogs? 


It's immoral to eat cute animals.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2010, 09:00:12 pm
A far more bizarre way of assuring (http://www.vipfibers.com/) you can enjoy your pet for years to come.  As one of our cats is a total sock theif, I would consider doing this as a tribute to him... but then again... no.

Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: jay-ell on August 06, 2010, 12:49:11 am
I am sure I posted this before.

If anybody here ever decides to have yarn spun from a pet, I hereby volunteer my knitting skills to provide you with kitty socks or pug mittens or whatever. I'm both fascinated and repulsed by this idea, but I could not pass up an opportunity to say I've knitted with cat or dog fiber.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2010, 01:24:41 am
I am sure I posted this before.

If anybody here ever decides to have yarn spun from a pet, I hereby volunteer my knitting skills to provide you with kitty socks or pug mittens or whatever. I'm both fascinated and repulsed by this idea, but I could not pass up an opportunity to say I've knitted with cat or dog fiber.
So I have these guinea pigs, when one crokes, do I just mail you the thing in a box?
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: wombat on August 06, 2010, 01:50:11 am
I think for that you need someone that tans hides, not someone who knits.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: jay-ell on August 06, 2010, 02:02:04 am
No, you should brush it while it's alive and mail its fur to someone who spins.

I do not spin.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 06, 2010, 02:04:31 am
a friend of mine from HS makes a living with her spinning wheel.  i can maybe get you's a discount.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: side_show on August 06, 2010, 06:19:32 pm
Discount pet fur yarn, and someone who makes a living via the use of her spinning wheel.  There are two things I have had trouble imagining.

You're right JL.  I did post something about cat fur wool, or something similar at some time in the past.  Damned if the serch function isn't helping matters.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: jaydub on August 09, 2010, 06:37:57 pm
I have been collecting dog fur from my RL plushie for use in oil booms.  If that ends up being unnecessary, I will have cubic feet of pure white 4" fur.  It begs to be used for spinning & knitting.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 09, 2010, 06:42:58 pm
Where did you plan on sending your bushel of fur? Because I just had a mental image of you shoving hair in an envelope and just writing "LOUISIANA" on it.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: fanta on August 13, 2010, 06:56:02 am
this thread blew my mind.  Spinning pet hair, oil absorbing booms.  wow.

I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress recently, so sure, I can imagine reusing pet fur if you lived in an artificial terrarium on the moon.

It's certainly the ecologically progressive and culturally progressive thing to do - recycle your pet fur.  That and shoot everyone at your workplace.
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: jaydub on August 13, 2010, 06:52:48 pm
There's a "grassroots" organization that had coordinated with pet groomers and vets in a couple metro areas (mine is one of them) to get pet fur for making booms.  Supply overwhelmed their boom-making capabilities and their warehouse(s?) in LA filled up, so they asked people to stem the tide for a bit.  I haven't gotten an email from them saying whether they're accepting donations again (you were supposed to take your fur to a local vet or groomer to add to their shipment). 

Edit:  The org is Matter of Trust  (http://www.matteroftrust.org)and from the pics on their site it looks like their effort is legit (whether its effective....)

(http://www.matteroftrust.org/gulf7/PBB_0047.jpg)
Title: Re: So much for puppy 2.0
Post by: pmcd9 on August 13, 2010, 08:47:30 pm
I have two friends who are hairdressers who were also collecting hair for booms.  Don't know if it's the same organization or not.  I also heard a news report saying that hair was not absorbent enough and they were going to discontinue using it.