The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on August 12, 2010, 01:16:49 am

Title: FTP clients for Mac
Post by: theinevitable on August 12, 2010, 01:16:49 am
Hey guys,

Um, does anyone know of a good FTP client for OSX?

I am trying to do something for the radio station, and our tech guy is a "YOU SHOULD BE USING LINUX" turd, and I need to be able to FTP/SFTP (not sure of the difference...) in, move stuff around, and create symbolic links between files. The standard seems to be Panic's "Transmit," but if it can create symlinks, I can't figure out how.

I guess this is kind of going out on a limb since our active user base is like, what, 30 people? less?
Title: Re: FTP clients for Mac
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 12, 2010, 02:19:40 am
I use FileZilla.  They have a Mac version, I can't directly vouch for it, but if it's as good as the Windows version then it's A-OK.
http://filezilla-project.org/
Title: Re: FTP clients for Mac
Post by: Choop on August 12, 2010, 03:29:31 am
the mac version of filezilla isn't nearly as good as the windows version, but it gets the job done. i'm sure there's an ftp plugin for firefox but i don't know if it supports sftp.

i've heard good things about cyberduck, but there's also a command-line ftp program built in if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty.
Title: Re: FTP clients for Mac
Post by: fanta on August 13, 2010, 07:09:43 am
that's true - you can pop open a console window and voila - you've got an FTP client.  Of course, to really benefit from this, you need to be pretty damn comfortable with the command line, especially if you're working with file names that are long and/or have odd characters in them.

A quick google search reveals:

Fetch

cuteftp

Interarchy   http://nolobe.com/interarchy/

I am guessing that interarchy might very well be worth paying for.  You can try it for free.  I used it for a long time in the pre OSX days.  Back then it was made by some hard-core Mac geeks in Australia.  I'm not sure who's in charge of it now.  But by all means give it a try.

Title: Re: FTP clients for Mac
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 13, 2010, 07:37:01 am
I don't even know what a ftp client is, but I have seen cyberduck on my roommates computer, so probably it is good?