The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on December 19, 2003, 02:18:02 pm

Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jay-ell on December 19, 2003, 02:18:02 pm
It's red!  

Yes, we opened presents already.  We're going out of town tomorrow and we didn't want to drag all our presents up north.  Also, we're both impatient.  

Now I need recommendations of good games!  Particularly non-fighting games, because those are actually physically painful on the teeny-tiny keypad!
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2003, 02:36:54 pm
I only have the Old Skool Game Boy (featuring 4 shades of grey!) so I can't help you.

Have you checked out review sites like 411mania?
Title: Re: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: slink on December 19, 2003, 05:44:14 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

Now I need recommendations of good games!  Particularly non-fighting games, because those are actually physically painful on the teeny-tiny keypad!


Sweet.
I am fairly tempted...
FF Tactics looks good. A definite on my list.
I'd probly get the Zelda: Link to the Past one as well.
Sim City 2000 looks amusingly tempting on GB too.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jough on December 19, 2003, 06:02:52 pm
Congratulations, JL.  Sounds like the perfect gift for a geeky gamer on the go.

So now you need games?

Do you have any already?
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: St_Zartan on December 19, 2003, 06:18:10 pm
You totally need to get yourself an anarchy cartridge (http://www.success-hk.com/pp/item_detail.asp?itemID={17546E1C-987A-4A81-8EAC-072755C83C56}). Basically you download ROMs from, well, lotsa places (games are usually dumped and released the day they street, if not sooner) and load them onto the cartridge. I bought a GBA SP, one of these nice little red plastic pieces of Hong Kong's finest, and I have not spent another cent on my gaming.

Oh, you wanted recommendations. Right:

I am a straight-up sucker for those wonderful retro-collections. Specifically I have wasted entirely too many hours on Konami Arcade Advanced, Sega Arcade Gallery, and Activision Anthology.

Car Battler Joe is better than a game with a name like that has any right to be. Imagine a Mad Max RPG; now make it cute.

Of course any of the Nintendo remakes / updates (Super Mario Advance series; Zelda, Metroid Fusion) are worth their weight in gold.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2003, 06:22:48 pm
Pokemon Crystal version.
Title: Re: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jay-ell on December 19, 2003, 07:26:55 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Sim City 2000 looks amusingly tempting on GB too.


Oh crap!  I totally forgot about that!  

*elbows Pedro*

And what about this?!?!? (http://thesims.ea.com/us/index.html?frame_src_content=/us/about/bustinout/index.html)
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jough on December 19, 2003, 08:00:57 pm
So you got a "Game Boy Advance" JL?

How does it compare to other video game systems?  I mean, I'd imagine it's better than the old NES (which was awesome) but probably not as good as say, Playstation 2.

So where does it rank in video game pantheon?

-- Jough, who grows nostalgic for his old Atari Lynx...
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2003, 09:12:20 pm
As I sit here and type this, my old Sega Game Gear is sitting in the closet next to me, appearing particularly dusty and disconsolate. I rather miss the thing; perhaps I'll fire it up and play a few rounds of "Dr. *****nik's Mean Bean Machine."

Anyway, many congrats on the Game Boy, JL! I would normally say that Zartan's idea is awesome, but buying some "legitimate" cartridges would also be nice, yo.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2003, 09:27:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So you got a "Game Boy Advance" JL?

How does it compare to other video game systems?  I mean, I'd imagine it's better than the old NES (which was awesome) but probably not as good as say, Playstation 2.

So where does it rank in video game pantheon?


I thought the GBA was effectively a portable SNES
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jay-ell on December 19, 2003, 09:31:37 pm
Ida know.  I've never been a console gamer, before.  Unless you count my brother's hand-me-down Atari 2600.  I started on PC games in 1984 and never looked back.  

This is going to make tomorrow's 12 hour car trip considerably nicer.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 19, 2003, 10:07:36 pm
From my tiny observations: So far it looks like someone overclocked an SNES and shoved it into a trendy woman's compact.  In other terms, it's slightly less power than a Playstation 1 in that it can do 3D graphics, but only very slowly.  It does just about anything you'd want to do with sprite animation, including faking 3d with Sims-style three-quarter angle views and smooth animation (Lord of the Rings does this).
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2003, 11:36:14 pm
Video games bore the ever lovin' shit out of me.

~Paul
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: V-Adore on December 20, 2003, 01:37:18 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Video games bore the ever lovin' shit out of me.

Well, I really doubt anybody is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to play one.

But to get back on the topic of the thread: if someone was forcing you at gunpoint to play a GBA game, what would it be? JL's gaming dollars are counting on YOU.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: AugustWest on December 20, 2003, 03:22:00 am
Banality II -- The game where you force Paul to play video games at gunpoint!
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: St_Zartan on December 20, 2003, 03:50:06 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
From my tiny observations: So far it looks like someone overclocked an SNES and shoved it into a trendy woman's compact.


That is the popular comparison and it is popular because it is largely correct; that and because many, many SNES games are being remade / revamped for the GBA and in many cases they are better than the originals. One reason I love the GBA so dearly is because I am an old-school gamer; I cut my teeth as a toddler on the Intellivision and never looked back, and I will swear at gunpoint that the targeting system in the widely fellated GTA 3 / VC games sucks a foul, unhappy bozack.

I AM GOING TO CRAM THIS CONVERSATION CHOP-SOCKY FULL OF TACKY ORAL REFERENCES SO BEAR WITH ME PEOPLE

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would normally say that Zartan's idea is awesome, but buying some "legitimate" cartridges would also be nice, yo.


V-Adore: straight outta SQUARESVILLE

Seriously, though - I cannot believe I forgot to mention this game: Wario Ware, Inc. I have converted more people into the sweet, accepting arms of the GBA with this title than I can remember; in fact, if you, JL, buy this game and really and truly do not like it, send me the receipt and I will reimburse you. On a library employee's salary.

Any of the other games mentioned are worth your bux; the trouble with the GBA is that there are a minority of truly wonderful games that make your soul sing and reaffirm your faith in an increasingly creatively bankrupt medium... and then there are like literally hundreds of terrible diffident afterbirths - this is why I go with the anarchy cartridge; I cannot afford to gamble $20 - $40 against those odds.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 20, 2003, 05:24:35 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Video games bore the ever lovin' shit out of me.

Well, I really doubt anybody is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to play one.

But to get back on the topic of the thread: if someone was forcing you at gunpoint to play a GBA game, what would it be? JL's gaming dollars are counting on YOU.


The only one I ever loved was Asteroids.  But V you were right to assume I am much older than you.  I am from the pinball generation and sadly pinball is pretty much extinct.  The few games they do still make (at least the ones i've seen) are hyper busy and totally uninteresting.

This (http://www.zpinaddict.com/pballhtm/kingkool.htm) is the game that rocked my world when I was your age.

~Paul
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: St_Zartan on December 20, 2003, 05:31:35 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
This (http://www.zpinaddict.com/pballhtm/kingkool.htm) is the game that rocked my world when I was your age.


Those old electromagnetic pins are things of beauty on so very many levels.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: V-Adore on December 20, 2003, 06:07:15 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would normally say that Zartan's idea is awesome, but buying some "legitimate" cartridges would also be nice, yo.


V-Adore: straight outta SQUARESVILLE

I am posting from Nebraska, so it's not precisely like I can contradict this or anything. Point to the Zartan.

Quote
the trouble with the GBA is that there are a minority of truly wonderful games that make your soul sing and reaffirm your faith in an increasingly creatively bankrupt medium... and then there are like literally hundreds of terrible diffident afterbirths - this is why I go with the anarchy cartridge; I cannot afford to gamble $20 - $40 against those odds.

This is also a good point. Probably the model I'd recommend is the "noble pirate" sort of thing -- download lots and then, if you like it, buy the real cartridge. Support good games with your money and love, but be cool, and such.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: St_Zartan on December 20, 2003, 06:20:40 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is also a good point. Probably the model I'd recommend is the "noble pirate" sort of thing -- download lots and then, if you like it, buy the real cartridge. Support good games with your money and love, but be cool, and such.


Be cool, but care - Thomas Pynchon, V

If I were a religious man, I would tithe my monthly ten percent to Nintendo, because bloody hell if that one entity hasn't both pervasively informed my identity and provided me with uncountable hours, days even, of beatific pleasure and satisfaction. Having said that: I own literally dozens of old-school NES cartridges which are - ghasp - unplayable seeing as my second CONTROL DECK (none dare call it a console) has given up ye olde ghoste.

But tah rah, there is this thing called PocketNES (http://www.pocketnes.org), which is a very very good little program that will let you run just about any old NES games you like on your plucky widdle GBA. Assuming you've got an anarchy cartridge, of course. Um, yes, please, may I have another. I am twenty-five years old and this is the year A.D. 2003 (Time Pilot notation) and I still have plenty of time for Solomon's Key, oh you betcha.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: CortJstr on December 20, 2003, 07:41:15 am
Back to the original question, I've heard some great things about Double Dragon. Although it might lose something if it has no nostalgia-value to you.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 20, 2003, 08:37:14 am
Another King Kool Site (http://flyers.cdyn.com/webdvd/pingames/gottlieb/html/king_kool-1972-f-1.html)

I had no idea there was so much info about pinball games on the internet.

~Paul
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: slink on December 20, 2003, 04:27:52 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
and I will swear at gunpoint that the targeting system in the widely fellated GTA 3 / VC games sucks a foul, unhappy bozack.


Hence you play it on PC with a PS2 controller for the driving part!
Never been said I'm not a smart cookie.

I'd go with the anarchy cart myself, since I too could only buy a handfull of games ever on my kind of income (like Jough I do bits and pieces of work here and there and make just more than enough to live on).
Plus then I could get all the oldstyle games on the one cart.
Title: I got a game boy for Christmas!
Post by: jough on December 20, 2003, 08:47:17 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I had no idea there was so much info about pinball games on the internet.


Really Paul?  NO IDEA?

Have you SEEN the Internet?